Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Edit: Whoops, wrong site.

This site is a landmark site. The strange shape and location make it perfect for a tall building that can be seen for miles as a way to orient yourself. Also the density going up along Boylston St already over shadows the Sears Building.

I'm glad it got taller but really loved the gradient effect and am dissapointed thats essentially being eliminated

Great news! I wish it was the tallest outside of the Back Bay and Downtown, but sadly we have these monstrosities in the West End that I can not forget about:

The Towers at Longfellow

The tallest buildings in the West End are the Longfellow Towers, which would slightly beat this Fenway one at 381' each. However, this link doesn't show those, and instead shows Emerson Place, which is significantly shorter. The next tallest building is the (somewhat) striking glass Ellison Building, at 342'. I feel like you could make the argument that the Longfellow twins are actually at the edge of downtown, especially once more towers are built in the area to integrate them into a continuation of the financial district skyline. (ie North Station Towers and Congress St Garage Towers)

Don't forget BU's dorm tower in the John Hancock student village @ 26 floors that would be ballpark 300 ft.

I heard it is just a shade under 300'. This newest proposal has to be close to 370'.

I'd think the other buildings that compete for tallest building in Boston outside downtown/backbay are the Southblock Tower at BUMC on Mass Ave in Roxbury, the Jamaicaway Tower, and whatever the hell this is: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42....4iSkiu0Xw-3TRh9qMH97Pg&cbp=12,15.88,,0,-33.98

Diversion here, but does anyone know the story behind the creation of the Jamaicaway tower (on Perkins)? Ive tried finding info about it before, but I want to know what was demolished and what BRA machinations allowed it to be built. Also, I always wish there was info about the same process the created all the low rise towers in Brookline... nothing about whatever urban renewal process obliterated what must have been dozens of houses around Coolidge Corner in the 60s.

Not to go too far off topic, but from the article above: "because of the sloping nature of the land area, [it] would not be visible from adjacent areas and would not obstruct any abuttors since it occupies only six percent of the land area"

I think the view from my bedroom says otherwise. Love that white parking garage wall.
16122659560_03c6e8f025_z.jpg

Interesting to me anyway to see a Mortenson Construction sign on the Hotel Commonwealth. They are mainly a Midwest / Great Plains construction firm.

Took a little drive on the new Yawkey Way extension this morning. That and the Maitland St connection are paved (the connection itself was coned off, but the roads look good). Very glad that in this one single instance Boston has made the reasonable choice to increase connectivity rather than hinder it.

Took a little drive on the new Yawkey Way extension this morning. That and the Maitland St connection are paved (the connection itself was coned off, but the roads look good). Very glad that in this one single instance Boston has made the reasonable choice to increase connectivity rather than hinder it.

Wandered through the area today and took a few pics of these streets with my phone...

Yawkey Way Ext
Fenway-YawkeyWayExt1_zps61e9ad44.jpg

Fenway-YawkeyWayExt2_zpsbacf9195.jpg

Fenway-YawkeyWayExt3_zps680ac5a1.jpg

Fenway-YawkeyWayExt_zpsf3874802.jpg

Maitland St (from Beacon St)
Fenway-MaitlandSt_zps4e6aba7b.jpg

John the sign on the site calls it "Fenway Diamond Apts." 5 story 49 units developed by Miner Street LLC. Check out items 810 and 811 this thread.

Back