Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Ron, that streetcar isn't operational. I think it would be too much hassle and expense to pull out the rails from the cobblestone. (Last time I was there, that street was in terrible shape, and doesn't look like it's improved.)

And... back to topic: Anything to better enclose Audubon "Circle" is great by me.

Ron, that streetcar isn't operational. I think it would be too much hassle and expense to pull out the rails from the cobblestone. (Last time I was there, that street was in terrible shape, and doesn't look like it's improved.)

And... back to topic: Anything to better enclose Audubon "Circle" is great by me.

Actually, the entire street was recently rebuilt...

And the rail was reinstalled along with refurbished cobbestones.

Thats right, they paid to reinstall rail that will never be used

Source:
http://dcist.com/2012/09/georgetown_gets_streetcar_tracks_to.php

Please, itchy. Is this "Robo-Urbano world?" No space between buildings!

Seriously? I don't think at all that "no space between buildings" = "robo-urbano world." To the contrary, my worst-case scenario of towers in the park embodies "space between buildings."

The regret is that a fairly interesting, charming and attractive historic masonry structure gets replaced by a pretty bland, potentially even crappy, building. As nice as an unbroken streetwall is, if it's broken by something relatively pleasant to look at, that diversity can be better than an unbroken streetwall of precast concrete and fake brick.

The current Elephant Walk building could be in Georgetown. The proposed new structure would probably (and not wrongly) get shot down by the planning boards there.

The two recobbled streets in Georgetown were rebuilt in part, because the residents of those streets believe the cobbles slow down cars. The streetcar rails and underground conduit were preserved because I believe the underground conduit system is the last of its kind in the U.S.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/285326-st...stored-evoking-a-bygone-era-of-urban-transit/

Georgetown is a designated National Landmark, and if the current Elephant Walk on Beacon was instead located in Georgetown and if was deemed to be a contributing building in the Georgetown landmark district, then very difficult, though not impossible, to demolish it. The rendering of the proposed replacement on Beacon is sufficiently ordinary that it wouldn't pass muster in a design review for Georgetown, particularly if it were to replace a contributing building that would be demolished.

Below is a link to the November agenda for the Commission on Fine Arts (a Federal agency) for various projects in Georgetown. Will give a sense of the architectural detail that is reviewed.

http://www.cfa.gov/meetings/2013/nov/20131121og.html

Seriously? I don't think at all that "no space between buildings" = "robo-urbano world." To the contrary, my worst-case scenario of towers in the park embodies "space between buildings."

The regret is that a fairly interesting, charming and attractive historic masonry structure gets replaced by a pretty bland, potentially even crappy, building. As nice as an unbroken streetwall is, if it's broken by something relatively pleasant to look at, that diversity can be better than an unbroken streetwall of precast concrete and fake brick.

The current Elephant Walk building could be in Georgetown. The proposed new structure would probably (and not wrongly) get shot down by the planning boards there.

Itch -- encore Paris encore ...

La Defense Towers in the Park
Paris proper 3 and 4 story buildings with no spaces in between

Which is Urban and Urbane?

Paris_-_Eiffelturm_und_Marsfeld2.jpg

FROM THE WIKI

La Défense is Europe's largest purpose-built business district[1] with its 560 hectares (5.6 million square metres) area, its 72 glass and steel buildings and skyscrapers, its 180,000 daily workers, and 3.5 million square metres (37.7 million sq ft) of office space.[2] Around its Grande Arche and esplanade ("le Parvis"), La Défense contains many of the Paris urban area's tallest high-rises, and is home to no fewer than 1,500 corporate head offices, including those of 15 of the top 50 companies in the world.[1]
The district is located at the western-most extremity of the ten-kilometre-long Historical Axis of Paris, which starts at the Louvre in Central Paris, and continues along the Champs-Élysées, well beyond the Arc de Triomphe before culminating at La Défense. The district is centred in an orbital motorway straddling the Hauts-de-Seine département municipalities of Courbevoie, Nanterre and Puteaux. La Défense is primarily a business district, and hosts only a population of 25,000 permanent residents and 45,000 students.[2][3] La Défense is also visited by 8,000,000 tourists each year,[2] and houses an open-air museum.[4]

Panorama_La_D%C3%A9fense.jpg

BRA sued over no-bid deal with Sox on Yawkey Way

A sweetheart land and air rights deal between the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Boston Red Sox is now being attacked in court.

Everett businessman and attorney Joseph Marchese is suing the BRA over the recent $7.3 million agreement that awarded the Red Sox air rights for Green Monster seats over Lansdowne Street and an easement to shut down part of Yawkey Way for concessions so long as the team plays at Fenway Park.

Marchese said he had approached the BRA in May with his own offer to operate concessions on Yawkey Way under a proposed $3 million, 10-year deal, but the BRA never put the rights out for public bid.

“What we’re asking the court to determine is whether or not that contract should have been put out to bid,” Marchese said. A former restaurant owner, Marchese said he wanted to partner with local businesses to offer food on Yawkey Way in a “taste of Boston” atmosphere.

“We thought we’d put together a group and have something a little different — a little nicer,” he said. “The people should have the opportunity to get the best price and the best operator. Myself and others are being deprived of submitting a bid, which may have been more than what the Red Sox offered. We’re just looking for fairness.”

BRA spokeswoman Susan Elsbree called Marchese’s lawsuit “meritless.”

The BRA has pinned the Red Sox deal on a state law that gives it power to protect against or eliminate “urban blight.” But the agreement has come under fire from government watchdogs.

The state Inspector General’s office criticized the BRA for negotiating behind closed doors without public input, and the Boston Finance Commission has labeled the deal financially irresponsible for essentially “giving away” rights to city-owned land.

Matthew Cahill, executive director of the Boston Finance Commission, said of the lawsuit, “I expect it probably won’t be the only one.”

http://bostonherald.com/business/bu..._sued_over_no_bid_deal_with_sox_on_yawkey_way

I think this case has opened a lot of eyes. So basically the BRA doesn't even put the bids to the public.

BRA is rotten to the core.. Then they call all these tax breaks to certain developers job creation for these projects? But then they won't let public bids for Yawkey way only for the BRA to secretly pass a deal to the sox..

Last edited:
I don't honestly see what it would even mean to lease that street to someone other than the Red Sox during games. The ticketing gates are moved out into the street -- how would that work if someone else is running the concessions on it?

New condo building going up on Symphony Rd.

Old people will remember this lot as being the site of one of the apartment buildings that was burned out during the early 1980s arson wave. No, not that early 1980s arson wave, the other one.

From BISNOW:

Urbanica and Urbanica Design plan to develop a $9M, 20-unit condominium project at 50 Symphoney Rd in the Fenway on a vacant 6,000 SF lot. Construction of the five-story, double-bow-front building that will include 11 parking spaces, is expected to start next spring and be completed summer '15.

If you don't move the ticketing gates out into the street, how can you have ballpark concessions there?

Nice photos BeeLine! I was curious so I looked for more information on 41 Westland and found this page: http://www.smma.com/project/boards/symphony-court-41-westland-avenue

I guess it's unlikely that it'll have any retail given that there's going to be a garage on the first floor. Also, it seems they're planning to build another residential building on the parking lot behind and next to it, which sounds great.

Just noticed I caught a tiny bit of the renovation ongoing at the 41 Westland ex-garage...

11832300663_b4de687ec7_b.jpg

...which dovetails nicely with these pics I got of it later.

11831721013_aeb314c087_b.jpg

11831702203_437144e981_b.jpg

Back