Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

Maybe they'll finally unveil the proposals! Bring your cameras!

The Globe had a reference in an article on the Congress St Garage project that the hotel tower proposed for the CS site is 700 feet. Unfortunately, the Globe's page graphics are jumbled and I can't pull down the exact quote.

The Globe had a reference in an article on the Congress St Garage project that the hotel tower proposed for the CS site is 700 feet. Unfortunately, the Globe's page graphics are jumbled and I can't pull down the exact quote.

Que David Fields....Lol

Que David Fields....Lol

I know right? Another development in a area that is immune to "gentrification" but is clearly in danger of "snake oil" developers doing... something...

I believe this is the image you were referring to (thanks to Shepard for putting it up in the first place.)

skyscrapers.jpg

Are we about to get some very unexpected news?

Or (more likely) is the Globe's info incorrect, given the (as far as we known) incorrect data on Copley Place? I'd rather this because a taller building would unbalance Back Bay's skyline, but if the demand is there, go for it.

Last edited:

Re-flooding the south bay interchange would also be unexpected

Not to mention the Greenway highway ramps and the North End. They also have the angle on the Filenes tower wrong.

What, you haven't heard of the plan to turn Little Italy into Little Napoli?

Imagine what that would be like in winter!

Are we about to get some very unexpected news?
Or (more likely) is the Globe's info incorrect, given the (as far as we known) incorrect data on Copley Place?

They listed Copley Place with the roof height data, rather than the full architectural top. Not necessarily incorrect, just misleading.

What, you haven't heard of the plan to turn Little Italy into Little Napoli?

Imagine what that would be like in winter!

Ottawa has some great success with winter canal skating, no? Nothing beats fresh poutine on the ice...

Globe info ends up being correct

Boston’s Christian Science Church filed plans with the city late Thursday for a nearly 1 million-square-foot development on its 15-acre plaza in the Back Bay.

The church has proposed a pair of towers at Belvidere and Dalton streets that will include a 712,500-square-foot hotel and condominium skyscraper at 691 feet. At 14 feet per floor, that would be about 49 stories, slightly shorter than the Prudential tower’s 52 floors. A second mid-rise would be a 237,500-square-foot apartment building at 285 feet. At 12 feet per floor, it would be about 24 stories. The project will also include a 4,300-square-foot park and an unspecified amount of ground floor retail.

New York-based architect Harry Cobb of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, who designed the nearby John Hancock Tower, will lead the design team. Construction is expected to commence next year.

News of the filing with the Boston Redevelopment Authority follows the church’s recent selection of Carpenter & Co., a Cambridge-based company, as the master developer for two sites. The parcels are part of the master plan designed to revitalize the plaza which was approved by the city. The lots are across the street from the Hilton and Sheraton Hotels.

Church officials said Carpenter was chosen because its portfolio of properties, including the Liberty Hotel, encompasses “unique beautifully designed buildings that are sensitive to the urban environment around them.” Carpenter will be responsible for the design, financing, construction and maintenance of the new buildings. After necessary approvals are obtained, Carpenter will take ownership of the buildings.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/06/christian-science-files-plans-for-towers.html

Information comes from the LOI submitted today, which seeks to amend the master plan to increase the heights of both buildings.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...lton Project/Belvidere-Dalton Project_LOI.pdf

Well, we've been wanting something above 600 feet, so this is a little higher... not sure why they didn't just push it the extra hundred and try to take the title, or at least go taller than the Pru. Stick a spire on it or something...

If they chose the Liberty Hotel guys, they know what they're doing. Not that Cobb is any slouch either... interesting that they point out that he designed the Hancock without also mentioning that Pei designed the rest of the Christian Science Plaza.

That site plan looks really interesting with the triangular skyscraper. I hope they continue that all the way up instead of just using that shape for the pedestal and sticking a square footprint on top.

Any word on the earlier proposed changes to the reflecting pool?

interesting that they point out that he designed the Hancock without also mentioning that Pei designed the rest of the Christian Science Plaza.

I had the same thought when reading the article. They avoid the fact that he designed the entire CSC completely. I suspect that they are running away from this because while the plaza is spectacular at parts, the urbanism and style of the buildings aren't as pleasing. Pei himself didn't even actually design the Hancock, even though he's largely mis-credited due to the name of the firm. Cobb was the one that wanted glass. Pei was still obsessed with concrete/brutalism ala MIT Green and CSC Tower.

So they are essentially saying look "they designed the JHT which you love!" and not "look they designed this big hulking concrete tower that is right next door to this site. trust them that they won't do it again!"

It will be a nice progression from Fenway up to the Hancock and hopefully an eventual 1000 footer in downtown. Hopefully their plan was to do a quick amendment to the master plan under the radar after getting the master approved. It's should add a lot of units and hopefully be a quality design. With this and filenes going next year we are going to start adding some height to the 300-500 footer boom

Cobb was the one that wanted glass. Pei was still obsessed with concrete/brutalism ala MIT Green and CSC Tower.

I want to see the alternate timeline where we got a Brutalist JHT. I really do.

I want to see the alternate timeline where we got a Brutalist JHT. I really do.

Pei had originally designed a round concrete tower. The rendering floats around on here from year to year. Cobb prevented the travesty.

Seriously, it was a bullet dodged.

Never understood the love Pei seems to receive from the architectural community. He's probably done more damage to Boston than any other architect *cough* Government Center Master Plan *cough*

Back