Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

whighlander

Reaction score
This building is too photogenic. I can't keep cutting down my pics any further....

From 1/12, part 1 of 2.
David Z, on Flickr

by David Z, on Flickr

by David Z, on Flickr

by David Z, on Flickr

by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9783 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9784 by David Z, on Flickr
DZH -- those last two pix are reminiscent of an image from some James Bond movie with a HUGE Laser or maybe the one with a Solar Reflector
Great secondary reflection onto the Charles -- just too much wind to get a coherent reflection

odurandina

Reaction score
Though some beg for Photoshop retouching, these amazing photos are a joyful break from winter.

Did someone forget to order those particular windows: or did they call for a tweak that was overlooked
God, this is not so Boston. But it sort of is.

Last edited:

whighlander

Reaction score
Neon -- those are two of the best [up close and personal] images of 1 Dalton
I'm a big fan of strange juxtapositions of buildings and shadows and reflections.

Many of these kinds of composites are uniquely Boston due to the general lack of a rectangular {Cartesian] grid of streets which in many cities enforce a strict alignment of facades and edges -- but in Boston we are all about a much more general geometry of our streets.

Keep going for these kinds of images :cool:

HarvardP

Reaction score
FWIW I spoke with the concierge this morning to work out logistics for my MIL's stay and when I asked about the boarded windows he said serious issues with the glass manufacturer are in the process of being corrected. Could this be another Hancock-like issue? Is what we see just the beginning?

cjbski

Reaction score
I would assume the manufacturer is just slow. The Hancock wasn't a glass manufacturing issue it was an architectural design issue.
I would tend to agree here. But it's been MONTHS. Also very odd that they still haven't finished the exterior of the building on the ground level.

whighlander

Reaction score
I would assume the manufacturer is just slow. The Hancock wasn't a glass manufacturing issue it was an architectural design issue.
Citylover -- actually more of a structural engineering framework dynamics -- outer envelop incompatibility
issue

Anyway -- it was all about how a cleverly designed tower changed dimensions too much for the design of the windows and the mullions which support them -- when the tower stretched -- the windows fell out under certain other conditions

Solution was mostly to remake the glass panels out of solid glass instead of insulating glass with an air space -- much stiffer panels -- much less flex -- Voi la - no falling panels

meddlepal

Reaction score
My father said the original Hancock Glass was more shinier/mirror-y than the stuff that's on it now.

Brad Plaid

Reaction score
10ish years ago I was at the Stuart and Clarendon corner when one of the windows on the fifth or so floors cracked like the safety glass of a car windshield. No shards dropped but a small rain of glass dust fell to the sidewalk. There had been no obvious cause for it like the vibration of a heavy truck passing by so presumably pressure had been building up and finally gave way? Whatever the cause the Hancock still had a window issue 30+ years after the fix.

cjbski

Reaction score
On Friday, crews were replacing a pane or two of glass where the crane was. Weather was ideal, and the guys told me they are only able to do one pane per day -- and that's when the weather cooperates.

Friday was unique however, because the hoist/window washing rig got stuck on the ground -- AFTER they'd removed the panel. They ended up getting it back up, but the glass wasn't installed.

Pheldy34

Reaction score
I wonder when the Four Seasons tree will be added to the top to give it some light....hopefully soon!

odurandina

Reaction score
Several pages back, I think it was communicated that FS was not going to put a lit up tree at the top.

Nope. Never more than a remote possibility.
In stodgy Boston, deep down, you all knew this.

Further, should we ever build anything that eclipses the JHT,
past is prologue: You can be sure it will be very dark up near the top.

Last edited:

chrisbrat

Reaction score
indeed. and the reason i was given via instagram (post was deleted shortly after) was that they couldn't figure out a way to do it in a way that wouldn't be obtrussive to residents of upper floors (which is absolute B.S.)