Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Edit - I posted in the wrong thread! Sorry... moved to correct thread over here.

Last edited:
No, they are not coming from 30 Dalton. In fact, 30 Dalton didn't have a concrete pour today, those trucks you see are all supplying a type of concrete called flow-fill to the One Dalton site, and the cleaning out on One Dalton is from concrete trucks delivering to One Dalton. 30 Dalton does not clean out its trucks at One Dalton, that's for sure!

Moto -- then we're back to the question what is the current use of concrete at One Dalton?

Moto -- then we're back to the question what is the current use of concrete at One Dalton?

The concrete trucks at One Dalton are delivering a type of concrete called flow-fill as I said. Its a weak concrete mix used as backfill and in this case is replacing some excavated unsuitable soils. The deep foundation and earth retention system for support of excavation for this project is slurry wall. In order to trench the slurry walls they need to replace unstable soils with more stable soils in certain locations, which they are doing now.

30 Dalton is an unrelated project, using other ways to support excavation and deep foundations. Currently sheeting, piles, pile caps & grade beams are complete. Next steps are basement slabs and walls, followed by columns, shearwalls & slabs, floor by floor.

moto

Within a few weeks there will be 3 Cranes swinging and lifting right at the Pru -- this will be another major pilgrimage point for the devoted ferrum avis amator or SideroOrnithophile

Go Cranes -- the Spring Bird of Happiness :)

I think it is worth reminding ourselves what the tall tower's going to look like:
gFJeYcz.png

I suddenly like the varied of geometry of the Back Bay's tallest buildings:

Prudential Tower - Square
111 Huntington - Circle
4 Seasons Tower - Triangle
Hancock Tower - Parallelogram

The Pru is actually a rectangle, but your point stands.

The Pru is actually a rectangle, but your point stands.

It's a pretty squarish rectangle. When I look at it, I always think of it as a square building because it's so close.

It's a pretty squarish rectangle. When I look at it, I always think of it as a square building because it's so close.

Not 100% sure here, but I believe it's 180'x150', a 6x5 ratio. The old tv screens were 4x3, and almost seemed square themselves, so I understand why the Pru does.

Just one of those weird things you'd have to know, kind of like how 1 Federal is really a trapezoid.

True. Regardless, it's pretty cool that all the tallest buildings in Back Bay are shaped differently.

Do you think there will be a fair number of people who will look up one day and go, "What the HELL IS HAPPENING HERE???!" when it rises to all 60 storeys of glory? I do, and it's great!

I suddenly like the varied of geometry of the Back Bay's tallest buildings:

Prudential Tower - Square
111 Huntington - Circle
4 Seasons Tower - Triangle
Hancock Tower - Parallelogram

Bostonian -- Hancock of course is not simple parallelogram prism or a parallelepiped --although you can be forgiven for simplifying it

it is really an irregular decahedral prismatoid as each of the narrow sides is really composed of 4 segments [including the notch] *1

as in:

long ............................................
short .... ....

short .... ....

10 sides in all

5011659240_aabc7ff655_b.jpg

john-hancock-tower-_-panorama_400_300.jpg

*1 not including the one sided podium upon which the tower rests

Last edited:
If you have to go deep, the four buildings are only approximately the 4 simple shapes:

Prudential Tower - A rectangle that is squarish enough to look like a square
111 Huntington - Round but not exactly a circle
4 Seasons Tower - A triangle with slightly curved sides and rounded points
Hancock Tower - What you said

Bostonian -- Hancock of course is not simple parallelogram prism or a parallelepiped --although you can be forgiven for simplifying it

it is really an irregular decahedral prismatoid as each of the narrow sides is really composed of 4 segments [including the notch] *1

as in:

short .... ....

short .... ....

10 sides in all

5011659240_aabc7ff655_b.jpg

john-hancock-tower-_-panorama_400_300.jpg

..because we're counting the top and bottom as sides right? ("a prismatic solid volume....") :rolleyes:

CSTH -- no -- my 10 sides to the prismatic volume does not count the top and bottom -- just the two long sides and the two pairs of composite short sides including the notches

I did make the error however in referring to tower as an
"irregular decahedral" implying 10 faced volume

Rather -- I should have said that the tower is a prismatoid volume with an irregular decagonal cross section --- There are two parallel long sides and two essentially parallel composite short sides each composed of 4 segments [including the notch] -- giving a total of 10*1 -- then with the top and bottom being essentially parallel planes there are 12 sides total to the volume

In that sense the tower can be said in the generic sense to be an irregular dodecahedron

As some old-time Greek once said Geometry is Destiny :cool:

Last edited:
^Yup - just trying to figure out what the '1 sided podium' is

Back