Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: New tower at Christian Science Church Plaza

anplogo.gif

Boston Reflects on Pei's Brutalist Plaza
Debate rages over addition of three new towers to 1970s Christian Science campus

The reflecting pool at the heart of Boston?s Christian Science Plaza has been a calm and contemplative haven since it was built nearly 40 years ago to designs by I.M. Pei & Partners. Now, it is at the center of a roiling debate over the future of the 14-acre site, which currently consists of six church buildings and a children?s fountain around the plaza and its iconic, 700-foot-long pool.

Although details of the plans emerged this spring, the First Church of Christ, Scientist has been lobbying for a redesign for years. Much of the reason is financial: Profitable real estate would make the site self-sustaining, so that donations to the church can be put more directly toward its mission.

The church also aims to bring its plaza up to date with a 21st-century approach to urban design, in which porosity and active public spaces are key. The site attracts plenty of sightseers as the Christian Science faith?s international headquarters and a major Boston landmark, but it has not lived up to its potential. ?Right now, it?s mostly a pedestrian passageway,? said Bob Herlinger, the church?s chief architect.

Church planners have thus requested 300,000 square feet above their as-of-right limit of 650,000 square feet of development, which would enable them to build two new highrise towers on the northern end of the plaza and one midrise tower on its eastern end, comprising a mixture of residential, office, or hotel uses. They also plan to shorten the pool to allow more pedestrian traffic, and to build a walkway across it connecting its eastern edge along Huntington Avenue with the original church building on its western edge.

In redoing the pool itself, they will be strengthening its base and reducing its depth from the current 26 inches to somewhere between 6 and 12 inches. The church has picked Elkus Manfredi for architecture, Halvorson Design Partnership for landscape architecture, and Sasaki Associates for urban design.

The plaza?s original archiect, Araldo Cossutta, who was a partner at I.M. Pei when he designed the plaza in the 1970s, took issue with several proposed changes. ?There are elements that I have no problem with, but there are others that I do have a big problem with,? said Cossutta, now 85. He most strongly questioned the appropriateness of building highrise towers on the edge of the plaza, lamenting that it would destroy his composition.

Cossutta was also dubious about whether the pool could retain its power if its depth were diminished and it had a walkway dividing it in two. His original intention, he said, was to create a strong focal point for the overall site to anchor the disparate surrounding buildings, and to distract the eye from the ?awkward junction? between the original Mother Church and its 1906 extension.

For its part, church leaders argue that a walkway leading up to the Mother Church would refocus the design around the 1894 structure, which is geographically the center of the site and which they feel has become lost in the composition as new buildings have been added over the years. They are also confident that the pool will not be marred by the new walkway. ?The crossing will be right at grade, with an infinity edge,? Herlinger said. ?Looking out at the pool from the north end, I don?t think you?ll be able to tell the crossing is there.?

The Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA), which has been working with the church on the plan, also spoke positively about the new towers. BRA planners Ines Palmarin and Lauren Shurtleff said that the height of the two highrises was in keeping with that of the buildings around the nearby Prudential Center, and that the midrise tower would help activate a dead corner. Its designated location, at the intersection of Huntington and Massachusetts avenues, is now mostly parking lot. ?Right now, it?s pretty unpleasant,? Shurtleff said. ?It feels like the back of house of the church.?

While church officials are drafting a detailed proposal to present to the BRA and the city, a campaign to landmark the Christian Science Center is progressing in parallel. The Boston Landmarks Commission released a report at the end of June recommending the center for designation. However, even eventual landmark status would not necessarily block the church?s current proposal, according to the BRA. As Palmarin put it: ?It?s all workable.?

Julia Galef

Link

Not just make the pool shallower, but also shorten it? By how much?

The designs I saw had the walkway perpendicular to Huntington about a third of the way in from the western edge of the pool--not tracking from the east to the west.
One easy way to encourage people to treat it as an "active public space" is to provide seating along the edge of the grove (a wonderful part of this design that never gets mentioned) and more seating elsewhere (maybe some statuary/sculpture). Right now it is pretty much a passageway, and though it's a lovely passageway, I agree it could be more of a destination. I hope they don't destroy the grandeur and serenity of the space. It's one of the real treasures of Boston.

I don't think any of these proposals are inherently bad. The towers are well-placed in-fill developments. Even making the pool shallower is almost inevitable given the engineering difficulties I understand they've had - they wouldn't be proposing it if there were not a legitimate reason.

I just wish it went further. Midtown Hotel - why? Crash-barrier dividing Huntington the entire length of the plaza - why? (Huntington from Mass Ave to Copley is, I feel, the city's poorest excuse for a downtown urban boulevard).

(Huntington from Mass Ave to Copley is, I feel, the city's poorest excuse for a downtown urban boulevard).

I agree. But others say the same about the Greenway which, this time of year, is booming with activity. I think Cambridge Street in front of and just beyond Center Plaza outbound is pretty bad as well. This is mostly due in part to the wasted brickyard they call Government Center.

I wonder if the Church has any plans for 247 Huntington Ave, which they also own.

I think this is interesting. It's (obviously) a Google Maps satellite image of the Plaza. See the lines in the pool? I wonder if that's an optical illusion or if there's something under there, like a support beam.

Oh, but that isn't where the proposed walkway would go; it would be straight across, perpendicular.

Christian Science Fact of the day: there are an estimated 4,800 piles holding up the Mother Church and extension.

pool_break.png

At first I was weary about the path, but after watching the video on the Globe website, I actually support it. The path will be cut at the exact location of the original path when the CSC plaza was a grassy park. Normally, I wouldn't support cutting a Pei-anything in half, but there is a lot of historical context that can be referenced at this site. I will also admit that it is a huge pain having to go all the way around the reflecting pool.

So, I'm writing a column to appear on Tuesday in the Back Bay edition of Patch. It's about the plaza redesign. I've looked at a couple maps from back in the day and was curious if anyone knew:

It looks as though (at least) three streets were renamed sometime between 1926 - 1948. Anyone have any idea why?

Batavia Street was renamed Symphony Road
Astor Street was renamed Burbank Street
Dunder Street was renamed Clearway Street

Oh, and Bickerstaff may have become Edgerly Road.

In case you're interested, here are three maps from that general area, from circa 1868, 1926 and 1948.

1868_falmouth_huntington.jpg

1926.png

1948.png

That explains the post office called "Astor Station".

John,
What a serendipitous post!

As it is, I have been researching the lives of a minor Boston author who also worked for the Boston Evening Transcript, and his pianist/artist wife, and have pretty much traced where they lived in Boston during the 1880s and 1890s. The wife died at 23 Batavia St. in 1901.

They moved a lot; for the years they lived in Boston:

1880, 82 Union Park St. (as distinct from Union Park)
1882, Morse Mansion #2 (which I finally found was a building next to 105 Union Park St. Still wonder whether there is a relation to Samuel Morse)
1883-1884, not living in Boston
1885, 25 Cortes St
1886-87, 26 Grenville Pl, (apparently near Park Sq and Columbus Ave)
1889-92, One Oxford Terrace (no longer exists, was off of Dartmouth St near the railroad tracks, and behind the SS Pierce store and the Oxford hotel on Huntington Ave)

A contemprary description of Oxford Terrace circa 1890
"[FONT=&quot]To reach Oxford Terrace you went down a long flight of wooden steps, about opposite the present Trinity Court. They led down the big fill that enabled Dartmouth Street to have a bridge over the Boston and Albany tracks. There was a vacant field at the foot, alongside the railroad, then a row of brick houses. I can remember the fascination of being allowed to play out, all alone, in this field filled with the usual trash of such city lots, and with trains constantly choo-chooing past the high wooden fence."[/FONT]

1893-95, 15 Dalton
1896-98, not living in Boston
1899, 17 Dalton (my sense is that 15 and 17 were torn down for the Mother Church)
1900, 48 Falmouth (Falmouth St has disappeared, though it is on your maps)
1901, 23 Batavia (Until this morning, I had thought Batavia had disappeared as well, and am surprised to find it still there, and re-named)
1902, 24 Everett Ave. (the residence of the surviving husband)
1903, 18 Follen St. (haven't bothered trying to find it)
1904-1905, Two Oxford Terrace
1906, husband dies

When I have time later today, I will try and post some photos, including aerials, of the area south of Copley Sq. (originally Art Sq.)

Copley Sq area map

SNAG-0053_CopleySqMap.jpg

Copley Sq area map showing Oxford Terrace

SNAG-0056_OxfordTerrace1914.jpg

Looking east from Copley Sq.

OxfordTerrlookingeast.jpg

Looking northeast toward intersection of Huntington and Boylston

oxfordlookingNEbeyondrailyards-1.jpg

Museum of Fine Arts, SS Pierce, and Oxford hotel

MFAandSSPierceCopleySq.jpg

Museum of Fine Arts circa 1890
MFACopleySq1890.jpg

SS Pierce, circa 1890

SSpierce1890.jpg

Hotel Oxford, circa 1885

SNAG-0055_HotelOxford.jpg

Looking east on the south side of Dartmouth, between Huntington Ave and railroad tracks. Circa mid-1950s (from the MIT streetscape series)

BuuildingbeforeOxfordTerracestairs.jpg

It looks as though (at least) three streets were renamed sometime between 1926 - 1948. Anyone have any idea why?

Batavia Street was renamed Symphony Road

This one was changed to acknowledge the presence of Symphony Hall adjacent to it.

JohnAKeith mentioned some street renamings. The streets off St. Botolph Street run in alphabetical order from "A" to "I", but instead on an "E" street, we have West Newton. Was there ever an "E" street planned?

Well, I'm reluctant to post this but will anyway. It doesn't have a lot of new information in it but it puts into a short column a lot of the stuff people have been talking about.

(I'm reluctant because it was heavily edited after I submitted it. My own fault, I didn't submit til the last minute and didn't give the editor time to send back to me for approval.)

There are 26 photos accompanying the column so you might like looking at those, too.

Up tomorrow: Prudential Plaza Expansion!

Big Changes, but Good Changes, coming to the Christian Science Church Plaza

Three new towers at The First Church of Christ, Scientist, along with a renovation to the reflecting pool -- which includes a walkway through the middle -- is starting to stress some people out.

Overall, I support the proposed changes. But it's a lot to take in.

The church is planning to build a 35-story and 15-story tower on Dalton Street; a new underground garage; and a 291-foot tower on Huntington Avenue, next to the Sunday school building. It's a total of 950,000 square feet in additional development.

The proposed expansion has worried some people. They fear new shadows on nearby buildings, the wind effects of construction, and the encroachment of more high-rise towers in the surrounding neighborhoods.

But the kicker is the plan to shrink the reflecting pool. At 686-feet long and 98-feet wide, the project would shorten the pool by 18 feet to allow easier pedestrian passage around the Plaza. It would also reduce the depth by a foot or more to cut down on water usage. And, the church wants to build a new walkway across the pool, connecting its eastern edge along Huntington Avenue with the original church building on its western edge.

Yikes. The pool, in place since 1971, has become a treasured icon to residents of the city of Boston, and visitors near and far. To some, it's equivalent to removing the Public Garden lagoon or the Boston Common Frog Pond. Anything that would lessen the pool's soothing effect or mar its beauty would disappoint and even shock a lot of people.

But shrinking the pool is alright by me. Eighteen feet shorter won't have any noticeable effect. Reducing the depth carries a bit more risk. As is, you can't see the bottom of the pool when full, and I wonder if having just 6 feet, 2 inches of water will destroy this effect. Still, I trust the church to know what it's doing, and using less water is better for the environment.

Yet it's hard to image putting a new walkway through the middle of the pool won't cause a visible breakage in its smoothness. The church is adamant that it won't. The walkway will make the Plaza more-accessible while putting the visual emphasis back on the original church.

When it comes to the towers, the uses of the three new buildings remain up in the air. The towers in the rear may include a hotel, office, and/or residential space. The Huntington Ave. tower will most likely be residential. The Church's seven existing buildings will remain as is, as will the underground, 550-car parking garage.

Given that two of the buildings will go up in the rear of the plaza, I'm not concerned about the heights. That block already has a Hilton and two Sheraton hotel towers. It can handle two (albeit, taller) more.

Also, putting the Huntington Ave. building so close to the southwestern edge of the plaza will lessen the effect it will have on the beauty and serenity of the open space. Even with the new towers, it seems to me that what we think of as the "Church Plaza" will continue to exist.

It seems like a lot of proposed changes. And it is. But the church has been a good neighbor and should be commended for giving us such a beautiful and publicly accessible space. I think they'll end up doing a good job here.

Hey! You write for Patch! A good friend of mine is starting with them in January.

John, what do you mean by the reflecting pool "having just 6 feet, 2 inches of water..."? I don't think you're refering to the depth (which will be reduced to about 10" from the current 26" I seem to recall) but I can't think of how else to understand that.

Oh, god. So much for proofreading! Messed up there. I've read it will be reduced from its current 26" to between 6-12", so a reduction of 14-20".

Back