Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

Nah, totally different areas of the city. Plus, Millennium Tower is going to have the jump on it, and will be the tallest building downtown while CSC is right next to the Pru.

It's more like, 2 separate cracks of thunder, with the second a bit louder but both of them spectacular.

That's very true. It's crazy how each new residential tower proposed continues to out-do the previous in terms of being the "tallest residential tower." First Copley Place was billed that way, then Millennium Tower, and now the CSC tower.

That's very true. It's crazy how each new residential tower proposed continues to out-do the previous in terms of being the "tallest residential tower." First Copley Place was billed that way, then Millennium Tower, and now the CSC tower.

Does anyone know if Copley Place is going to break ground next spring? I've heard conflicting reports on Simon's stomach for it - their business is malls, not high rise condo development.

It would be amazing to see CSC and Copley towers going up at the same time.

I walked by there today. That lots looks tiny. How may sq feet is it?

I walked by there today. That lots looks tiny. How may sq feet is it?

It looks VERY tiny from the street. When you look at arial shots though, it doesn't look all that much smaller than the Hilton's footprint.

The editors should be fired for printing that.

Does anyone know if Copley Place is going to break ground next spring? I've heard conflicting reports on Simon's stomach for it - their business is malls, not high rise condo development.

It would be amazing to see CSC and Copley towers going up at the same time.

Simon is now more involved than they ever have been in the tower process (they made this clear at the re-kickoff meeting back in june), but please direct further inquiries to the Copley Place thread: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1113&page=72

The two towers could very well be going up together.

Copley won't start till '15 Csc starts early '14 (hopefully)

Just throwing out that I thought this had all been approved eighteen months ago?

Just throwing out that I thought this had all been approved eighteen months ago?

It was approved at 512'. Then CSC decided they wanted to make the building taller.

Just throwing it out there, but this is the type of bizarre, out-of-the-loop post I would have expected from a newbie, not a JohnAKeith.

Underachieving for 48 years!

I was searching for maps on Boston's density and this page popped up instead. Pretty in-depth analysis of the CSC compared to growth of Boston.

http://web.mit.edu/dayyash/www/thecity/site through time.html

Boston underwent a series of topographical, political, economic, and social changes that continue to shape its role and appearance as a leading metropolis in the world. Ever since the coast of New England was explored in the early 17th century, the region, and in particular Boston, was deeply transformed. The most significant changes that have been documented and can be correlated with social changes occurred at the start of the 19th century.

Since the United States government began to collect census data in 1790, this paper will focus on changes that occurred from that period onwards. The Christian Science Center has its own history of change within the context of Boston’s growth. In order to gain a better understanding of how the Christian Science Center became what it is today, a landmark and a main tourist attraction, its attributes over time will be examined individually and then correlated with the changes that occurred in Boston for changes in particular places in cities can only be truly understood when analyzed within the context of change within cities themselves.

I was searching for maps on Boston's density
This might help: Housing Unit & Pop Density by census block

Almost three decades later, the site went through more changes in the 1960s, many of which can still be seen today. The flats along Massachusetts Avenue as well as the Christian Science Administrative Offices were demolished in order to bring in more investment in the 1960s. They were replaced with I.M. Pei’s Reflecting Pool and Splash Fountain, hence destroying St. Paul Street in the process in an attempt to reconnect the Church with the rest of the site to create an image of a plaza. Yet the rows of flats along Clearway Street and St. Germain Street as well as Falmouth Street remained on site until after the year 1990 indicating the long-standing resistance of cities to motivate its residents to move out into the suburbs. When these flats were later demolished, Falmouth Street was destroyed and so the connected parts of the plaza grew larger and the developers were able to place benches and ledges all around without facing opposition from residents who might have been apprehensive about having their “neighborhood” filled with visitors all day long.

Sigh.

Is the CSC still planning to make the reflecting pool shallower and build a walkway across it? That was part of the plan that also included these two towers, but I haven't seen a word written about it in the last year or so.

Is the CSC still planning to make the reflecting pool shallower and build a walkway across it? That was part of the plan that also included these two towers, but I haven't seen a word written about it in the last year or so.

Yes, they are still planning to make it shallower. They may not be doing it in the next year or two, but the point of the CSC master plan (like all other IMP's in Boston) is for long range approval to modify their campus up to 10 years out.

Yes, they are still planning to make it shallower. They may not be doing it in the next year or two, but the point of the CSC master plan (like all other IMP's in Boston) is for long range approval to modify their campus up to 10 years out.

How much shallower could it be? Isn't it basically only a few inches deep as it is?

The reflecting pool is a couple feet deep now, but gets shallower as it approaches the perimeter lip. I take it you've never gone swimming in it after a major team-winning championship, a democrat election win, or the night of April 19th, 2013.

The reflecting pool is a couple feet deep now, but gets shallower as it approaches the perimeter lip. I take it you've never gone swimming in it after a major team-winning championship, a democrat election win, or the night of April 19th, 2013.

uh...no...but I won't judge. :)

^hell yes can't start soon enough

Back