Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

If anything ever does get built that's taller than the Hancock, I prefer it passes it legitimately. It should be an actual taller building, not a shorter building with a big worthless stick on top.

You totally missed the point. I'm talking only of the aesthetics of 1 Dalton, and I am not even really concerned about height like you are. Not trying to get something taller for the sake of height here.

You totally missed the point. I'm talking only of the aesthetics of 1 Dalton, and I am not even really concerned about height like you are. Not trying to get something taller for the sake of height here.

Aesthetically, what's the point of throwing a big pole on top of a flat topped building?

Edit: Since the "official height" doesn't faze you, are 1 Beacon, 1 Financial, and The Pru masterpieces because of their antennas?

Pardon my confusion, but isn't a spire the epitome of tacking something on for the sake of height?

Perhaps you're suggesting that the top of the building somehow taper toward a point or angle like a crown, which I would agree with. I don't really like flat-topped buildings. I personally don't understand the hate that 111 gets for its crown.

If anything ever does get built that's taller than the Hancock, I prefer it passes it legitimately. It should be an actual taller building, not a shorter building with a big worthless stick on top.

I don't think this design needs a spire, but an ornamental top isn't necessarily a "big stick of worthlessness." Imagine that this building had a crown that flowed into one corner, up about 100-150'. That doesn't look worthless, and it gives Boston a new tallest building.

Even antennas aren't necessarily worthless. The Sears Tower missed out on being the tallest building in the world from 1998 to 2006 because its antennas weren't considered "part of the building," but they're central to the image. The building wouldn't look complete without them.

I suppose it some cases, a spire is added simply to boost height. However, that's not why I mentioned it. I merely suggested it, because it would cool. Period. 1WTC certainly looks better with the spire.

And I know you have.

Yeah, you do? Go ahead and prove it. Seriously, I'm waiting, Mr. Know-it-all.

I have no real opinion of the WTC spire but a LOT of people are disappointed with the change from the original, and are quite vocal about it.

The closest I can see to this building is something like the antenna on the Westin Hotel in Atlanta. Does it really make any sort of difference? Is that why people like that building down there?

I don't see why a cornice would have to be a bland spire, pole or antenna. There are all kinds of ways architects can make interesting crowns.

I don't really care either way about this building in particular, but I'm not sure why this is becoming a "pole vs no pole" match...

I don't see why a cornice would have to be a bland spire, pole or antenna. There are all kinds of ways architects can make interesting crowns.

I don't really care either way about this building in particular, but I'm not sure why this is becoming a "pole vs no pole" match...

Personally, given the slender elegance of this building (and a Four Season's no less), it think it needs neither a spire nor a crown.

Now a tiara, that would be appropriate. ;)

I think I would have liked if the top sloped upwards a little maybe like the Pelli Congress Street Proposal, but I think this is a pretty nice and sleek tower otherwise.

The base has always left me uneasy. I don't know what their intent was, but it doesn't work. It would be best just to let the glass tower meet the ground instead of truncating at this slightly larger podium with a different facade language. It seems like it's almost trying to be contextual to the CSC colonnade building next door with those strong horizontal window bands punched into a solid mass, but it just ends up as awkward.

Agree.

I think a really cool effect would have been if the architects had designed it with a crown that tapered into a triangular based pyramid type shape. Sort of like the Liberty towers in Philadelphia, but without the tiered effect.

It would be nice if some of you created renders of just how you would make this tower "better", with a spire, crown, tiara, taper, cornice, etc. Enough conjecture, put your money where your mouths are.

It would be nice if some of you created renders of just how you would make this tower "better", with a spire, crown, tiara, taper, cornice, etc. Enough conjecture, put your money where your mouths are.

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

But I do agree, some of us are having a hard time picturing how a spire is going to look on top of this building.

So I decided to make an attempt at what I was thinking would look good as a crown. I realized once I finished it looks a little bit too much like the Messeturm than I thought it would.

player

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128427184@N05/15897779370/

Last edited:
While I like the current design, I thought I would have a little fun with it anyway. It would probably look fine by itself but standing next to the PRU I think it would be funny with both have a spire/antenna.

486936178cba7a05ee92471f8889e1a6_zps9f31db94.jpg

While I like the current design, I thought I would have a little fun with it anyway. It would probably look fine by itself but standing next to the PRU I think it would be funny with both have a spire/antenna.

I'm less intrigued by the spire than I am by you pulling those facade panels up 20 feet. It actually does a lot to make the building feel more contemporary.

I'm less intrigued by the spire than I am by you pulling those facade panels up 20 feet. It actually does a lot to make the building feel more contemporary.

Agreed! It breaks the flat roof without being overly extravagant. Nice work Greg!

Back