Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

when the mech screen is wrapped up, this'll be essentially the exact height of the pru -- whether it's ultimately three feet shorter or five feet taller or whether people nitpick about what point on either should be considered the pinnacle, meh... it's not going noticably taller (or shorter) than the pru and, at the end of the day, even if with the screen it's 20 feet taller than the pru (it won't be), that still doesn't challenge JHT, so -- a tall tower that still wouldn't stand out in any cities that really embrace height.

all that said i think 1 dalton looks neat and i'm psyched to have finally actually been alive for a truly tall-ish tower going up in boston.

This is sort of what I've been thinking during the last few weeks of "debate" over the final height of this. For the every day observer, this is about the same height as the Pru. from some angles, it actually appears a bit taller. From others, it appears shorter. Generally speaking, it's very similar and it's a welcome addition to the city.

Tbh from many angles it already “looks” taller. I think it has to do with how the top of the pru the building stops then has a gap then the double floor height top of the hub. Especially when your in the immediate area. I think the unbroken verticality is what causes this effect.

The bulk of the tower looks taller when your in the area, but the core looks taller even from this distance.

From 8/3.

IMG_5980 by David Z, on Flickr

Check out Channel 7 News tonight. (WHDH) They are featuring One Dalton on tonight's newscasts. At the end, they even add the fact that Mayor Walsh wanted them to push it a few floors higher to make it the tallest in the city, but he came into office too late for that, because they had already planned for it's current height, and the foundation could not be changed to allow that to happen.

Check out Channel 7 News tonight. (WHDH) They are featuring One Dalton on tonight's newscasts. At the end, they even add the fact that Mayor Walsh wanted them to push it a few floors higher to make it the tallest in the city, but he came into office too late for that, because they had already planned for it's current height, and the foundation could not be changed to allow that to happen.

Tallest building in general?

Tallest building in general?

Strangely, Their (Channel 7/WHDH) video online has a different ending. The Marty Walsh quote about wanting more floors and making it the tallest is gone, and the online version says Michael Dell is reportedly buying a unit. (which the television version earlier today did not say) ..... I thought Dell bought a unit in Millennium tower? Maybe they are confused, or maybe Dell is buying one in this building also.

Last edited:
Globe has photos from the 59th floor at the topping out.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ew-building/NzD9RvfbqeNYiPTNTORlqJ/story.html

Here is one:

ryan_topoff3_biz.jpg

Globe also says 742 feet.

whether you agree it needs a recladding or not, the pru absolutely does need a power-washing. especially at the very top that thing looks filthy.

whether you agree it needs a recladding or not, the pru absolutely does need a power-washing. especially at the very top that thing looks filthy.

It is nasty. Desperately needs a good cleaning.

If the Landmarks Commission saves a factory bridge in Ft. Point Channel, they would probably question the modernizing of the Pru's cladding. I'd be on the side of those supporting its preservation.

The original cladding could probably use some updating. Wonder what it would cost to update with new, materials of higher LEED of like-appearance.

Improving energy efficiency is likely to be only reason to change the appearance of the Pru.

What is the ROI on cleaning? I don't believe they are having any trouble leasing their space even if they were, I don't think the appearance of the exterior of the building has anything to do with it. I wouldn't hold your breath for a cleaning.

presumably you are aware of the many -- MANY -- high-rises and skyscrapers in boston have received power-cleanings in the past decade?

not to mention much smaller buildings and homes?

it's pretty de rigeuer and happens all the time. the pru will get cleaned within the next five-ten years and probably on the sooner side of that spectrum.

with the Pru, is it aluminum, galvanite, or stainless steel or none of the above.

oxidized metal is tough to fix.

My aluminum LS7 engine block had a gorgeous high-polished glow a few years ago.

6 years on, its turning into oxidized meh....

presumably you are aware of the many -- MANY -- high-rises and skyscrapers in boston have received power-cleanings in the past decade?

not to mention much smaller buildings and homes?

it's pretty de rigeuer and happens all the time. the pru will get cleaned within the next five-ten years and probably on the sooner side of that spectrum.

I was not aware, honestly. Do you happen to know when the Pru was cleaned last?

I was not aware, honestly. Do you happen to know when the Pru was cleaned last?

pretty sure either right as i was graduating HS or starting college, so -- early '90s? something like that.

i mean, i wouldn't attest to that in a court of law, but i think that's right.

with the Pru, is it aluminum, galvanite, or stainless steel or none of the above.

oxidized metal is tough to fix.

My aluminum LS7 engine block had a gorgeous high-polished glow a few years ago.

6 years on, its turning into oxidized meh....

these are very good questions and i have no idea. i guess i was mostly referring to the concrete "pieces of bread" on the top and bottom of the sandwich on the top of the tower.

the whole thing could use a refresh of some sort, though. i'm not saying reclad, necessarily.

This has been a long time coming and now it’s here: The 742-foot Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences One Dalton Street—a.k.a. One Dalton—is scheduled to officially top off on August 7.

The 61-story spire is the tallest new tower in Boston since 200 Clarendon opened in 1976. It’s also the city’s third-tallest building.

And, due to myriad reasons that include construction costs, a dearth of sites, and shadows, One Dalton will likely be the last Boston tower—the last New England tower—of more than 700 feet for a long, long while.

One Dalton is due to include 215 Four Seasons hotel rooms that the international hospitality firm will manage and 160 luxury condos (which Four Seasons will also service).

https://boston.curbed.com/boston-development/2018/8/7/17660368/one-dalton-boston-tallest

Back