Franklin Park - White Stadium Renovation

I have never heard of a sockeye in my life, no. As far as I'm concerned, salmon's just salmon. Maybe it's different in Seattle, but again, you run into the same issue that the Guardians have.

No. Sorry. Literally just look at your local grocery store's seafood section. Every grocery store carries it. The wholesale clubs carry it.

Sockeye salmon are native to the pacific northwest, a Kraken is a mythical octopus from scandinavian folklore, what the hell does that have to do with seattle lol?

That being said, come on. You can't rail against guardians and commanders for being to bland and seriously pitch sockeye over kraken. I'd take any of those three over the Golden Knights. High school team name. At least the guardians and commanders have some connection to their cities.

Sockeye salmon are native to the pacific northwest, a Kraken is a mythical octopus from scandinavian folklore, what the hell does that have to do with seattle lol?
I love how everyone wears red colored socks in Boston, especially around all those brown bears we see all the time.

Anyhow, yes, the name sucks. Why not just call it "Boss FC" or "Boss Town FC" - those would sound awesome. Marketing by committee, and I suspect they're going to find the limits of its appeal and change it, if not before the team debut then not long after. They'll be the Boston Breakers within a decade, or more likely "Breakers FC" because MLS, NWSL et al. all feel some odd obligation to conform with international naming conventions even though Americans love the "Location - Nickname" format.

I love how everyone wears red colored socks in Boston, especially around all those brown bears we see all the time.

Anyhow, yes, the name sucks. Why not just call it "Boss FC" or "Boss Town FC" - those would sound awesome. Marketing by committee, and I suspect they're going to find the limits of its appeal and change it, if not before the team debut then not long after. They'll be the Boston Breakers within a decade, or more likely "Breakers FC" because MLS, NWSL et al. all feel some odd obligation to conform with international naming conventions even though Americans love the "Location - Nickname" format.

The red sox are called the red sox because the team wears….. red socks. Like when youre watching a game and say my team is the blue jerseys, theyre the team with the red socks, makes perfect sense. Has a utilitarian simpleness to it as well.

I don't hate the name, but I think it would be best if a nickname establishes itself pretty quickly. That said, they chose an anagram of Bostonian. Bostonians FC would have been a great name, no need to re-arrange the letters.

Reading people argue about fish and Cleveland's baseball team in a Boston architecture forum was not on my 2024 Bingo card. To further derail the thread, I would like to add that Boston's women's hockey team chose a good name in Fleet, in my opinion.

No. Sorry. Literally just look at your local grocery store's seafood section. Every grocery store carries it. The wholesale clubs carry it.

That being said, come on. You can't rail against guardians and commanders for being to bland and seriously pitch sockeye over kraken. I'd take any of those three over the Golden Knights. High school team name. At least the guardians and commanders have some connection to their cities.

To be clear I’m not pitching anything, that was the most popular name at the time with fans and ranked #1 on Sports Illustrated so I just threw it out there as an example, Kraken was ranked last. Tbh both names suck but at least one relates to the area. If I had to personally choose a name that I wanted to “pitch” I would actually have to sit down and think about it for longer than 2 seconds.

Aaaanyways, I think most people agree that bos nation fc is a horrible name and apparently theres already a petition to change it lol. I hope they do.

The red sox are called the red sox because the team wears….. red socks. Like when youre watching a game and say my team is the blue jerseys, theyre the team with the red socks, makes perfect sense. Has a utilitarian simpleness to it as well.

No, they're not. They're called the Red Sox because the owner thought red was more marketable than blue (which was the color of socks they wore for the first seven years of their existence) and when the crosstown NL team switched from red socks to white, he decided to steal both the look and the name. And for the vast majority of the team's history, they've worn tricolor socks that are red, white, and blue.

Boston Uprising FC or SC
Boston Uprising was the name of Kraft's Overwatch eSports team a couple years back. Seeing as they weren't that good and an eSports team, maybe we should retire that one for now.
It's not the Chicago Heifers or even the Tampa Bay Devil Rays anymore. Sockeyes might have worked, but maybe the Seattle Salmon?

All in all, I hope we get a change soon. Breakers or Coven or something better than BOS Nation. I'm already a member of the Red Sox nation ♫ it's a kind of a family ♫

Aaaanyways, I think most people agree that bos nation fc is a horrible name and apparently theres already a petition to change it lol. I hope they do.

I think most people agree that they couldn't possibly care any less about this subject. In fact, the lousy name probably belongs in the "win" column because at least people are talking about the team. The first step to bringing in potential fans is making sure they're even aware of the team's existence in the first place. For a fledgling league like this competing in a saturated sports market, any publicity is good publicity.

No, they're not. They're called the Red Sox because the owner thought red was more marketable than blue (which was the color of socks they wore for the first seven years of their existence) and when the crosstown NL team switched from red socks to white, he decided to steal both the look and the name. And for the vast majority of the team's history, they've worn tricolor socks that are red, white, and blue.

How Boston got its red socks & a nickname​

“In December 1907, Boston “Americans” owner John I. Taylor met with a sporting goods supplier to order uniforms for the upcoming season.

Noting that the city’s National League entry had abandoned its dashing red stockings, Taylor decided to model his uniform with them.

According to research in “Red Sox Century,” Taylor settled on grey uniforms trimmed in red with pale blue stockings on the road. But at home, the Red Sox would have white uniforms with bright red stockings.”

MLB.com

2024 opening day photo from the red sox instagram:

They've already got billboards up so it might be too late to fix the name (despite this Change.org petition that's gotten over 1k signatures since yesterday).

Edit: the one on the right might actually get revised soon, according to this Globe article: Boston’s NWSL team, BOS Nation FC, ditches 'Too Many Balls' promotional campaign after backlash. So maybe there's hope yet...

1729131805165.png

Last edited:
I have never heard of a sockeye in my life, no. As far as I'm concerned, salmon's just salmon. Maybe it's different in Seattle, but again, you run into the same issue that the Guardians have.
At least to me, having a team name with a "powerful" presence, not really sure how to put it exactly, is important for the more intense and violent sports like football & hockey. Naming a team after salmon, just doesn't have the impact that teams for those sports deserve. I guess teams like the Cardinals and Browns would also fall under the same criticism, but they're some of the oldest teams in the league so I give 'em a pass.
In that sense, I think the Kraken fit perfectly. A powerful beast of the sea, to represent a maritime city. No, it doesn't have its origins in Seattle, but how many Brown Bears do you see in New England? How many Tigers in Detroit? And so on.
Sockeye is common and is on all the packaging and alsso the fish counter. its a type of salmon, and salmon is not just salmon, different colorations, sizes....tastes

Back