General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | TBD | Innovation District

That's the parcel size I'm hoping for, and what seems to be implied in the article. I'm sure details will become clearer soon, but if that's what happens I'll be very, very satisfied.

I believe I was wrong, but then the Globe might just be reusing old maps:

ge.jpg

Can they build on the tunnel roof, or will that have to be open space?

Re: General Electric HQ | Necco St.| Fort Point

There's 32 months between now and the end of 2018. They better get moving if they want to move in by then.

I'm sure some preliminary design has been done, but nothing substantial for this site beyond concepts and pretty pictures. A hurry up design could possibly release steel by the fall to get that in production, and then full CD's by end of year.

24 months to build and occupy a few hundred thousand feet, with the below grade parking that would be expected, will be a tall order. GE obviously has money to throw at problems, but this sounds ambitious.

ge.jpg

Pretty sure the tunnel was designed for certain building heights (most o it is spelled out in the now defunct 100 acre plan.) With a couple areas reinforced for height. Believe the intent was a lot of low rise residential originally in the parking lot above where the tunnel is.

Haven't read it in a few years though.

Edited to include visuals.
100%20acre%201_zpst2tiqvlw.jpg

100%20acre%202_zpslavx5ono.jpg

Last edited:

ge.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's just an old graphic. Note that it includes 253 Summer St, which GE has not purchased.

Its text is also consistent with it being from a few months ago.

Edit: Yeah, the Globe ran that exact graphic (with different copy) in this story from February 5th when everything was very much TBD. It's not something they made for the announcement of this deal.

Pretty sure the tunnel was designed for certain building heights (most o it is spelled out in the now defunct 100 acre plan.) With a couple areas reinforced for height. Believe the intent was a lot of low rise residential originally in the parking lot above where the tunnel is.

Haven't read it in a few years though.

Edited to include visuals.
100%20acre%201_zpst2tiqvlw.jpg

100%20acre%202_zpslavx5ono.jpg

So is this plan shown here the one that is now defunct? I've seen these plans for years - my basic question is, is that linear park still in the cards, and what about the street pattern? It would be a shame if GE is allowed to just build a series of monolith boxes...

Based on that article it sounds like the site they selected is this area.

KX42bfy.png

In which case the highway tunnels are not an issue in any way as there is plenty of buffer between them and the GE building site.

Is GE known for being a patron of good or innovative architecture? I mean they're know for tax dodging, but that's another story. :D

Is GE known for being a patron of good or innovative architecture? I mean they're know for tax dodging, but that's another story. :D

Well they were a main tenant in 30 Rockefeller Plaza for a while (when they re-acquired RCA). Their headquarters in CT is blah. From this I suppose we could say that they 1) understand good architecture, and 2) won't go out of their way to house their corporate staff in it. I wouldn't hold out hope.

I'm more optimistic because I think this move and building is as much about GE branding as it is costs and just a office with a view for executives. I imagine GE will have a lot of events and innovation showcased in the building.

Slightly more detail now:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...eadquarters/rwR2ITmAiL1qnsBUdWd5YM/story.html

- The BRA will own the two older buildings and will lease them to GE. It's implied but not stated in the article that the public ownership (which will take them off the tax rolls) will account for part of the $25M in property tax breaks offered by the City of Boston. The Mayor's Office has promised to release the exact terms at a later date.

- GE will build and own a building on the parking lot that will feature "a large sign that will be visible from Downtown."

- GE has not yet hired [Elkus Manfredi as] an architect, but plans to open the campus in 2018. The first floor of all buildings will be public space, but not necessarily retail space. The article suggests something more MIT Museum-like.

- No on-site parking garage (but presumably some spaces for executives).

- Still looking for the helipad site.

The first floor of all buildings will be public space, but not necessarily retail space. The article suggests something more MIT Museum-like.

I like this a lot. Exhibition/performance space and a museum of innovation/technology could be really cool & a great draw to Fort Point.

Where do the Fidelity/Gillette/State Street folks land their helicopters?

I wonder if the GE executives are going to be living in places like 22 Liberty and 50 Liberty. Maybe Immelt is the buyer of Millenium Tower Penthouse!

My money's on Michael Dell buying the penthouse, but who knows??!

- GE has not yet hired [Elkus Manfredi as] an architect, but plans to open the campus in 2018. The first floor of all buildings will be public space, but not necessarily retail space. The article suggests something more MIT Museum-like.

Haha - does this firm have the dominance in any other city that it has here? They dont always do bad work, but what the hell?

I always had the feeling Ned Johnson never let his executives take private helicopters and that he probably always went coach, maybe business class on trips to Asia and Europe.

He's also been known to ride a mule once in awhile in the Grand Canyon. Probably not lately.

They'll put a park/plaza along the Channel, a new building along Necco St, and incorporate the 2 warehouse buildings.

I think the juxtaposition of old factory buildings (even have a smokestack in view) and a new building is appealing for a company like GE. It will capture what kind of company GE is in postcard fashion.

Looking at the 100 acre plan the address could be 1 Fort Point Ave.

Hey Folks,

I moved the taxation discussion here. Let keep this thread about the actual physical development.

Thanks!

Back