General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | Necco St.| Fort Point

Does GE still own that EVERETT land near Boston Coach? That would probably be a good area to develop for housing.

Fascinating possibility -- what other NECCO buildings transformed into world class facilities and engendered adjacent new construction???

Answer -- NECCO in Cambridge became Novartis

and just across Mass Ave we got Novartis plus by Maya Lin

is there a "starchitected" building in the future of the edge of Fort Point Channel?

oly Jeff Immelt's inner circle can possibly know -- but more will be revealed in a big time "Meet and Greet" on April 4 [maybe the architect will give us a glimpse]

Added bonus -- maybe GE is the 'Irresistible force" to overcome the USPS immovable object just across the channel

Couldn't something in this spot have a little bit of height? Say 25 plus stories?

Re: General Electric HQ | TBD | Innovation District

Pretty sure the tunnel was designed for certain building heights (most o it is spelled out in the now defunct 100 acre plan.) With a couple areas reinforced for height. Believe the intent was a lot of low rise residential originally in the parking lot above where the tunnel is.

Haven't read it in a few years though.

Edited to include visuals.
100%20acre%201_zpst2tiqvlw.jpg

100%20acre%202_zpslavx5ono.jpg

It looks to be zoned for 180' but Im sure they can be allowed wiggle room.

Couldn't something in this spot have a little bit of height? Say 25 plus stories?

Why would GE build (height) space that it doesn't need? And a floorplate that's not particularly conducive to the type of work that will be done at GE HQ.

Why would GE build (height) space that it doesn't need? And a floorplate that's not particularly conducive to the type of work that will be done at GE HQ.

Stellar -- Jeff Immelt has recently said that there will be a very visible GE logo -- so that suggests that there will be a certain amount of height near the Fort Point Channel

I'm thinking a Vertical GE to contrast with the equally visible horizontal World Shaving HQ

They have 2.5 acres of ground foot print to work with which undoubtedly will include some sort of landscape right adjacent to the public walk along the Fort Point Channel

Consider a 12 story Vertical glass blade for the 200 or so suits sitting on top of a horizontal 2 story work box for the gnurds with the two early 20th C buildings renovated into mostly open space

The Globe article addresses height, style & location:
The new building, Klee said, will be of modest height, in keeping with zoning that restricts buildings to 180 feet. It will include open space along the water and public exhibit space on the ground floor. There may be an elevated walkway connecting the buildings. The company won’t replace the parking spaces lost to the new building; Klee said GE wants employees to use public transit.

Then, in searching for a building, GE executives quickly ruled out the glassy towers planned along Seaport Boulevard as too corporate, according to people involved in the search. And they eschewed state-owned parcels farther from downtown as too removed from the action.

You had me at "elevated walkway".

269978-soft-drink.jpg

I think there's one already between those 2 old buildings.

Smartiro -- I think you are looking at the wrong pair of buildings of the several in that same location

I think there's one already between those 2 old buildings.

Yes. It's been falling apart for a long time. A couple years ago we priced some work to basically box it up for Gillette to prevent someone from getting killed by falling debris. I don't think they ever did anything though.

Re: General Electric HQ | TBD | Innovation District

Can someone please answer the question: is the above plan still an active one for division of land, new roads and parks or not?

FK -- I believe that the relevant expression is lost in the "mists of time" -- that plan never was and never will be anything except for a bureaucratic exercise

FK -- I believe that the relevant expression is lost in the "mists of time" -- that plan never was and never will be anything except for a bureaucratic exercise

Are you sure? It looks like a pretty official plan. Sooner or later that land will all be develops, just like the Seaport, so why wouldn't there be a pre-existing plan on dividing up the lots? The only question is, is it legitimate or not?

Id imagine so if you go through the timeline of the seaport plan it slowly but steadily adapts as time goes on and more of the pieces of the puzzle are figured out. Id guess this is a concept and the further along it gets the more final it will become in time. I think it'll follow the same path as the seaport and it wont change drastically, but the loose ends will become tied together the closer we get to reality.

The "100 acres plan"? Yes, pretty legit but the BRA apparently sees it as a "rough sketch" versus final blueprint.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...tives/fort-point-district-planning-(100-acres)

Well this is important... Cuz this plan looks good primarily due to smaller building footprints... If it can be completely obliterated and we get a whole bunch more massive mega blocks that would be so unfortunate..

Back