General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | Necco St.| Fort Point

I really appreciate that powerpoint just for all of the great pictures of Boston it has in it.

Novacat -- if you look at some of the early e-mails you see they floated all kinds of ideas from existing developments [Hub on Causeway with giant GE Logo] to the Mass DOT site, and things that were just spots on the map

It would have been easy to imagine the edge of the Fort Point Channel in the midst of that sea of Gillette Parking

Absolutely whighlander. I was just saying they probably didn't put the exact site because they wouldn't have really thought it was available to them to offer. Also, they were competing and didn't really know what GE was looking for anyway so you probably wouldn't get too specific. I just thought it was interesting how quickly GE closed on this and it came out of no where. Then I remembered that Lafley was on GE's board for a long time and would certainly have a very close relationship with the CEO and CFO of GE. Of course don't know the real story for sure but things can move quite fast when certain people want it to...even in this city.

What is this building and why isn't it the perfect spot for a helipad?

That's an access building for the tunnel. You couldn't put a helipad on there (because it's not as big as it looks and because I think it provides emergency egress).

BBJ: GE selects Gensler as architect for its new Boston HQ

BBJ said:
General Electric Co. has selected global architecture and design firm Gensler to design its global headquarters in Fort Point. GE (NYSE: GE) said in an announcement that it selected Gensler after a 10-week process that considered more than 35 architecture firms across the globe.

Doug Gensler, principal and managing director of Gensler’s Boston office, will lead the project.

[...]

JumboBuc -- this is likely to be an interesting project on a very fast track as GE wants to be in the new HQ by sometime in 2018

GE said in a statement that it “asked important and challenging questions about employee inspiration and teaming, environmental sustainability, and integration into the Boston innovation ecosystem” when considering architects. The headquarters must have a global scale and feel, GE said, while still remaining rooted in Boston.

“We look forward to partnering with Gensler to support GE as a digital industrial leader and develop a campus that can adapt and evolve to meet the future needs of GE,” said GE Vice President Ann Klee in a prepared statement. “We will work with Gensler to design our space to foster collaboration with startups and customers, and provide opportunities for students to experience GE technology firsthand.”

and do not forget Jeff Immelt wants a GE logo that can be seen from Mars

On Tuesday I saw two rigs out on the current parking lot site for soils investigation.

From Banker & Tradesman:

B&T said:
Plans will be submitted to the Boston Redevelopment Authority in a few months in an aggressive permitting process to meet GE’s goal of occupying the facility in 2018, Gensler said.

At some point, doesn't the rushing have an impact on quality, even with Gensler?

Equilib -- so far all we have are the vague requirements:
800 people:
200 "Suits" and their office suites
600 "Gnurds" and "Gnurd Managers" & some play space
"Digital Foundry" -- lab / work / demo space
formal "Museum of GE Innovation" as part of entry hall

BostonHQ4-e1452715209785.jpg

and Oh Yes -- the GE Logo that can be seen from Mars [Immelt] or alternatively...

GE said in a statement that it “asked important and challenging questions about employee inspiration and teaming, environmental sustainability, and integration into the Boston innovation ecosystem” when considering architects. The headquarters must have a global scale and feel, GE said, while still remaining rooted in Boston.

Resources:
two approx 85,000 gsft each multistory 100 year old brick buildings
and about 100,000 sq ft of parking lot

I'd expect that we'll see some preliminary renders in the next few weeks

BOSTONIANS LOVE BUILDINGS IN THE SHAPE OF LEGO BLOCKS!!!!!

HOLY SH@! $&$*$T, he's back!!!!!!! Or, did Pennsylvania finally get internet?

On Tuesday I saw two rigs out on the current parking lot site for soils investigation.

In addition, this week I saw two survey crews and another group doing exterior buildings inspections. The parking lot has become very active this week.

HOLY SH@! $&$*$T, he's back!!!!!!! Or, did Pennsylvania finally get internet?

Somebody just got permabanned from some other city's architecture boards and is temporarily homeless of a troll bridge to squat under.

In addition, this week I saw two survey crews and another group doing exterior buildings inspections. The parking lot has become very active this week.

DDay -- this thing is moving fast -- I suspect one GE team is dealing with the complete inventory of what is there while another starts dealing with the architect

here's a first comment from the architect from the BBJ's teaser [although you need to pay to see the rest of the story]
Doug Gensler talks about GE's plan to convert an old mill building into “a platform for gritty innovation” and Jeff Immelt’s maybe-not-so-joking request that its new headquarters have a sign visible “from Mars.”

Somebody just got permabanned from some other city's architecture boards and is temporarily homeless of a troll bridge to squat under.

Not me.

Do you guys know any architecture boards similar to ArchBoston in Chicago? I'm only seeing Curbed on the Googlez.

I think those maps are dramatically overstating the footprint. GE only has 2.5 acres so I believe it's just the northernmost portion of that parking lot. Biggest piece of the parking lot stays with P&G.

Back