General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

^The greenline page on that is priceless.

On a slightly different note, Google Earth is showing me that SCR from Stoughton through Taunton to Somerset(but not Falls River) is already active. Does Google know something we don't know? :rolleyes:

lol, it's probably that somebody dun goofed.

^The greenline page on that is priceless.

On a slightly different note, Google Earth is showing me that SCR from Stoughton through Taunton to Somerset(but not Falls River) is already active. Does Google know something we don't know? :rolleyes:

lol, it's probably that somebody dun goofed.

Google's got a lot of crusty topographic data in it; there's lines abandoned almost 40 years still showing in spots. That track on the Somerset side is a different, long-gone branch. FR branch stays east of 24 and doesn't start hugging the river until almost downtown.

End of active track on the Stoughton Line is 1/3 mile south of the Stoughton platform at Gay St.. It picks back up again at Longmeadow Rd., Taunton (where that MassCoastal locomotive is parked end-of-track) about 1/3 mile north of would-be Downtown Taunton station. All told about 14.5 miles of abandoned ROW. Everything south of there 1.5 miles to Cotley Jct., the Middleboro Secondary, and the branches are active and used for freight every day (although only the M'boro Sec. is in halfway decent condition). Fall River branch also continues active south of downtown to Gold Medal Bakery about 3/4 mile shy of the state line, then is out-of-service but intact till end-of-track at the fuel terminal hugging the Tiverton side of the state line.

Harvard

2013-01-18193549_zpse606ac0d.jpg

That better be used to show bus countdowns and not just an ad.

On the train level, remember those ancient maps from when the new harvard station opened?

Theyre now these.

2013-01-18193814_zps5410dec2.jpg

I hope they use them as maps, so they can be updated every year instead of every 40 years.

I hope they use them as maps, so they can be updated every year instead of every 40 years.

You mean I can't get to Forest Hills on the Green Line anymore??? When did that happen?!?! :confused:

Anyone know what happened to 3-car trains on the Green Line?

Just realized it has been a few weeks since I've seen one. It shows on the platforms and trains, too; everything seems a LOT more crowded without them.

Anyone know what happened to 3-car trains on the Green Line?

Just realized it has been a few weeks since I've seen one. It shows on the platforms and trains, too; everything seems a LOT more crowded without them.

Higher than usual number of out-of-service cars sidelined with minor aches and pains, typical for mid-winter. They're playing it conservative because of the fleet numbers and because the trainlining electronics are especially wonky in ice-cold starts.

Next week's casualty list is going to be decidedly less pretty after they've all been running a few days gunked up by heavy snow.

‎**MBTA AND MBCR WILL BE ENDING SERVICE TOMORROW AT 3:30 PM.**

That should help the afternoon rush hour!

That should help the afternoon rush hour!

Rush hour should not be occurring tomorrow at all because non-essential people should not be on the roads. The actual "blizzard" part of the storm should be happening from 2-5.

I don't understand why they need to shut down. The underground part of the T (and, I think, the Red Line over the Longfellow) kept running throughout the Blizzard of 1978.

I don't understand why they need to shut down. The underground part of the T (and, I think, the Red Line over the Longfellow) kept running throughout the Blizzard of 1978.

Ron, we've been over this many times before. Limbs are constantly falling on all the T infrastructure, even without severe weather. How would you like to be on a train when a gust of wind hits a snow-loaded tree and the entire tree and or its limbs comes crashing down on top of your train? What happens to the people in trains behind that train? They become stranded.

Refer to my comment and others' comments in this post:
http://www.universalhub.com/2013/state-emergency-noon-t-shuts-330-pm

Higher than usual number of out-of-service cars sidelined with minor aches and pains, typical for mid-winter. They're playing it conservative because of the fleet numbers and because the trainlining electronics are especially wonky in ice-cold starts.

Next week's casualty list is going to be decidedly less pretty after they've all been running a few days gunked up by heavy snow.

Ironically this morning I saw a 3-car D inbound at Kenmore and this afternoon I was on a 3-car D outbound. Haven't seen a 3-car B since early December. Makes sense, though, based on the extreme cold.

They really, really need to figure out something to support regular 3-car service on both the B and D during rush hours. And they need to figure it out quickly.

Ron, we've been over this many times before. Limbs are constantly falling on all the T infrastructure, even without severe weather. How would you like to be on a train when a gust of wind hits a snow-loaded tree and the entire tree and or its limbs comes crashing down on top of your train? What happens to the people in trains behind that train? They become stranded.

Refer to my comment and others' comments in this post:
http://www.universalhub.com/2013/state-emergency-noon-t-shuts-330-pm

Not to mention that by shutting down the T early, it would force people to leave work early and thus avoid blizzard conditions.

Back