General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

They'll do that thing with the CharlieTickets at Kenmore sometimes too.

So asinine. Install card readers near the rear door and be done with it like several other transit agencies around the world.

^This kind of crap happens all the time at Lechmere as well. Green line train pulls around, turns off, operator jumps out and has a cigarette while hundreds stand on the platform watching. They jump back in, pull the train up... past the platform and back it onto one of the sidings. Another train comes around, arbitrarily decides where to stop and the mad dash begins from the actual 'first car stop here' portion of the platform back to the train.

Every damn time.

I cannot wait for the new Lechmere Station to be built. The current "station" is an embarrassment. We deserve better.

Don't underestimate the T's ability to completely screw up a new station design.

Don't underestimate the T's ability to completely screw up a new station design.

The station design's pretty much set for Lechmere, and it's a substantial improvement: http://www.greenlineextension.org/documents/PubMtgs/staDesign/Lechmere_Presentation061813.pdf. More spacious, lots better access, not too much of an overbuild for the utilization it'll get. Pretty hard to screw it up at this point.

Frankly, the area will open up a lot once you can finally get there from the Cambridge St. side without having to go through that tiny underpass then backtrack for half a block. That is such a P.I.T.A. for going to Cambridgeside Galleria.

I got a lovely canned response:

Dear Mr. <>,

Thank you for contacting the MBTA regarding the overcrowding of bus route #116. We appreciate hearing from you. Your comments let us know how we are doing and helps to make changes.

We apologize for any inconvenience, we only have so many newer buses in our fleet. My staff and I routinely analyze service statistics and work in the field to monitor service. In addition, I am looking into ways to alleviate the crowding. Should you need additional assistance, please contact Customer Communications Department at 617-222-3200.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced. Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Superintendent of
Lynn Garage

Not surprising of a response Data sadly. What I usually do on days like that is bypass Maverick, go to Wonderland and double back on the 116/117.

Not surprising of a response Data sadly. What I usually do on days like that is bypass Maverick, go to Wonderland and double back on the 116/117.

Sometimes I actually do that, since my stop is essentially equidistant from both. I've had mixed results going all the way out to Wonderland though. Sometimes it ends up taking nearly the same amount of time, just with less stress, and sometimes I can get to Maverick, a bus shows up and then be home in 20 minutes. It's all luck of the draw and timing. I appreciate the suggestion though. =)

I like how the head of the Lynn Garage responded, when the 116/117 are out of the Charlestown garage (I think).

No, the 116 and 117 do run out of Lynn, as do the 114, 119, 120, and 121. The rest of the Lynn garage routes are in the 400s. And while most of the 400 series routes run out of Lynn, the 411 and 430 run out of Fellsway weekdays and Charlestown nights and weekends when Fellsway is closed.

The 114 through 121 routes used to run out of Eagle St. garage in East Boston, which was closed in 1981. Those routes went to Lynn, while the 110, 111, and 112 went to Charlestown when Eagle St. closed.

This is exactly the reason why I can't wait to move out of Charlestown. Every morning, going to work on bus 93 is a nightmare between 7:45am-9am. Any stop after Lexington St. faced, I would say, a 75% chance of being skipped over due to a overcrowded bus. I normally walk up 4-5 stops just so I can get on a bus that may have a couple of seats available. There's been occasions where 3 straight buses skipped my stop (Harvard/Kent).

The T should really try POP at least on the green line and key bus routes (at least during peak times).

The T should really try POP at least on the green line and key bus routes (at least during peak times).

Impossible. Its not like the validation machines exist and are just sitting there.

And its not like every other light rail system in the county, from LA to Newark to Charlotte does it like that.

Impossible. Its not like the validation machines exist and are just sitting there.

And its not like every other light rail system in the county, from LA to Newark to Charlotte does it like that.

Exactly. POP could be fully implemented on the E Line tomorrow if they wanted.

This is off the current topic but I'm curious to hear from people who might know about this:
What can be done about the noise levels from the ridiculous screeching of Orange Line trains entering State St, particularly in the Forest Hills direction? The screeching is simply deafening in that tunnel with the colored walls that connects the Forest Hills platform to the rest of State. Will new trains help this at all?

This is off the current topic but I'm curious to hear from people who might know about this:
What can be done about the noise levels from the ridiculous screeching of Orange Line trains entering State St, particularly in the Forest Hills direction? The screeching is simply deafening in that tunnel with the colored walls that connects the Forest Hills platform to the rest of State. Will new trains help this at all?

It's the tight curve. I don't have any measurements or anything of that sort, but it is probably the single tightest curve on the entire Orange Line. I know that for light rail they can use specialized wheels to reduce screeching, but I don't know if anything is proven to hold up and to work for heavy rail. I presume it is already greased, which also helps a bunch.

The new cars will have wheel dampening devices, similar to what the Blue Line cars have. Basically, rubber dampeners attached to the center of each wheel, designed to reduce noise.

It's the tight curve. I don't have any measurements or anything of that sort, but it is probably the single tightest curve on the entire Orange Line. I know that for light rail they can use specialized wheels to reduce screeching, but I don't know if anything is proven to hold up and to work for heavy rail. I presume it is already greased, which also helps a bunch.

More (smaller) wheels = less noise

I haven't really noticed anything abnormally loud about the Orange Line at State... but perhaps it just seems that much quieter compared to the Green Line at Government Center which I used to contend with. ;)

I maintain that the biggest issue on the Orange Line (aside from the generally shitty old trains and lack of frequency during peak times) is the lack of lighting and signage on the platforms. It's an all-around ugly, ineffective and sub par operation.

I haven't really noticed anything abnormally loud about the Orange Line at State... but perhaps it just seems that much quieter compared to the Green Line at Government Center which I used to contend with. ;)

I maintain that the biggest issue on the Orange Line (aside from the generally shitty old trains and lack of frequency during peak times) is the lack of lighting and signage on the platforms. It's an all-around ugly, ineffective and sub par operation.

I used to commute via GC daily on the Green Line and the approach into State on the OL is far worse in terms of screeching. At least at GC, the screeching is short because the trains are short. The pedestrian tunnel at State amplifies the noise that is sustained for much longer because the OL trains are 6 cars long.

Back