General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Thanks! I’ll be pedantic, but the specification was for 40 mph — I’m more curious about what the actual conditions/speeds have been lately.

The switches are 10 MPH in Medford/Tufts and East Somerville/Lechmere, 40 MPH between Medford/Tufts and East Somerville, and the Lechmere viaduct is 25 MPH, and 10 MPH between Lechmere and Science Park. At least when I last took the GLX on Feb. 20th.

The switches are 10 MPH in Medford/Tufts and East Somerville/Lechmere, 40 MPH between Medford/Tufts and East Somerville, and the Lechmere viaduct is 25 MPH, and 10 MPH between Lechmere and Science Park. At least when I last took the GLX on Feb. 20th.
Which leads me to the question: is that a limit imposed because of the track quality, vehicle design, signaling system, or something else? Probably a poor comparison but I never understood why high speed rail can go 160+ over a switch but the Green Line has to go so slow.

Some of the big employers whose workers are impacted by the T mess should consider a class action lawsuit for fraud. Force the Commonwealth to clean house at the T.

The State could use this as an excuse to shake up T management... but there's only so much they can do if the workers don't give a sheet.

And, not to be overlooked, but a piece of construction equipment fell over on to the tracks at Milton.

1678461672220.jpeg

I have further thoughts that I guess I’ll save til after the presser (whenever that ends up being), but this incident at Milton also seems emblematic of a truly systemic problem.

Would the Governor declaring some sort of state of emergency in regards to transit help at all? I'm not sure if theres even anything that could be done to fix things faster. Do we even have enough qualified rail contractors if we threw money at the problem?

Reports on Twitter that the additional speed restrictions have been lifted on the heavy rail lines. The emerging interpretation of comments made at the apparently-largely-uninformative press conference is that there were apparent discrepancies between records (of maintenance and/or condition) and actual work/condition, raising question about the integrity of reports across the system.

EDIT: Video link here

Would the Governor declaring some sort of state of emergency in regards to transit help at all? I'm not sure if theres even anything that could be done to fix things faster. Do we even have enough qualified rail contractors if we threw money at the problem?

I'm not sure quite what the mechanism is, but there's been an expectation that FTA will effectively take over the MBTA at some point. Seems appropriate, and the Governor could request it.

For oversight, there also needs to be Legislative action to reverse the stupid decision from a couple of years ago to gut the FMCB. Things started going sideways the moment it went away at the MBTA's request.

Reports on Twitter that the additional speed restrictions have been lifted on the heavy rail lines. The emerging interpretation of comments made at the apparently-largely-uninformative press conference is that there were apparent discrepancies between records (of maintenance and/or condition) and actual work/condition, raising question about the integrity of reports across the system.

EDIT: Video link here

Translation: They did inspections and either lost or failed to fill out the paperwork.

Put a little differently...

Yeah I just watched the first ~8 minutes of the recording now. I actually think this is somewhat informative, albeit not presented with the most transparent tone.

Translation: They did inspections and either lost or failed to fill out the paperwork.
From what I heard in his remarks, I'm not actually sure we know for certain the inspections were done. He spoke about "after having reviewed the quality of that I documentation, I made the decision [to impose the speed restrictions]", which suggests that in at least one case the documentation did exist but was somehow concerning. Obviously we don't know why it was concerning, but what I heard did not seem to rule out the possibility that the inspections weren't done, or were done improperly.

Also, in a bit of "burying the lede", he said that the system-wide speed restrictions are lifted on the Blue, Red, and Orange... but that new slow zones have been implemented wherever there is question about the inspection documentation. I missed the last few questions in the Q&A, but that seems like a pretty big caveat -- I guess the data over the next couple of days will reveal where those new slow zones are, and from there we can infer how many inspection sites were questioned.

EDIT: Chris Friend finds ~30min of new slow zones on the Red Line and ~23 min on the Orange Line:

No pix or anything fun to support this, but I took the Green Line from Union to Government Center (and, many hours later, back) and it was excellent, across the board. Zero (under 5 minutes) wait in both directions, no weird stops or misleading signage/announcements; yeah, inbound over the highest part from Union to Lechmere (across from Twin City Plaza) it slowed down for a bit, but nothing major or long-lasting. People who whine and moan about the T should really travel to other places more often. NYC, San Fran, Chicago (and plenty other places) would be stoked to have rapid transit this good.

The MBTA is able to get away with such abysmal performance because they've gaslit even the transit-savvy posters on this board into thinking that their service is something to be "stoked" about.

The MBTA is able to get away with such abysmal performance because they've gaslit even the transit-savvy posters on this board into thinking that their service is something to be "stoked" about.

That, or it's possible to appreciate what you have, while acknowleding that improvements can, and should, be made.

I don't feel I've been gaslit by the T or anyone; I just prefer to enjoy the resources available to me. In fact, once I take the dog out for a quick walk, I'll be hopping on the Green Line and heading into DTX for a few hours and then returning by the same method. Just as I've done three times already this week. I enjoyed those trips and I'm looking forward to today's.

Thanks! I’ll be pedantic, but the specification was for 40 mph — I’m more curious about what the actual conditions/speeds have been lately.

I've used a GPS speedometer a few times when I've ridden it to/from work. It's consistently 40 mph between stations from East Somerville to Medford/Tufts. Even as of Wednesday when I last rode it.

I've used a GPS speedometer a few times when I've ridden it to/from work. It's consistently 40 mph between stations from East Somerville to Medford/Tufts. Even as of Wednesday when I last rode it.
Wow, so yeah. This is gonna be rough.

Wow, so yeah. This is gonna be rough.

It's gonna at least double the time on the branch, probably won't make that big of a difference in the downtown tunnels since they don't seem to get above 25 ever anyway. I think I'm just gonna go back to cycling in unless the weather is truly hellish. It's the fastest way into the city anyway.

It's gonna at least double the time on the branch, probably won't make that big of a difference in the downtown tunnels since they don't seem to get above 25 ever anyway. I think I'm just gonna go back to cycling in unless the weather is truly hellish. It's the fastest way into the city anyway.

The D branch went from 26 minutes between Kenmore and Riverside to 52 minutes. Basically double the time.

13 minutes between Reservior and Riverside is now 27 minutes.

If the root cause is documentation around repairs, why is the GLX impacted? It’s brand new, so the documentation should be much lighter than the core subway.

Detailed breakdown between Riverside and Kenmore on the D branch, as the largest stretch of 40 and 50 MPH track. I used the fastest trip on March 7th - 8th, vs. the slowest trip today, hence therefore it is unaggregated data.

Sourced data from here: https://dashboard.transitmatters.org/rapidtransit

The data is a bit messy, so yeah, I might update it later today, I went through each stop pair on TransitMatters and inputted it into a table.

The D Branch is over double the travel time for almost every pair of stops. (EDIT 3/11 - UPDATED with full day of data)

1678545932831.png

Last edited:
If the root cause is documentation around repairs, why is the GLX impacted? It’s brand new, so the documentation should be much lighter than the core subway.
I mean, I dunno how often these inspections are made, but probably the only inspection report that "matters" is the most recent one. So if the inspection is supposed to be every 2 months (for example), that would be enough potentially to impact even though that section is very new. But also, it sounds like the "systemwide" restrictions still in place on the LRT lines probably are more reflective of a paperwork/organizational thing while they continue their investigation.

What is the logic in dissolving the MBTA? What would be different in the new org that replaces the 6,000 current employees that wouldn't be possible through some strategic changes with the current setup?

Items for Governor/MBTA:
  • Build a real Management Board that has accountability tied to it. Include local representation, and ensure a good mix of financial, policy, and engineering knowledge is present on the Board at all times
  • Bring in a Safety Officer with proven experience and give them a John Dalton-esque level of freedom over the management and implementation of Safety - redesign the org chart, remove positions, add others, redevelop training programs from the ground up, etc.
  • Negotiate with unions on higher pay for bus and rail operators and expedite or eliminate the part-time "requirement"
    • I believe improved working conditions for dispatchers is included in the FTA findings response - this should be expanded to a long-term Capital Investment Plan in all operating facilities. Improve working conditions and you'll see higher retention of operators, dispatchers, etc.
Items for legislature:
  • Ensure a properly funded Operating Budget
  • Ensure a properly funded Capital Budget

What we're getting instead:
Items nobody can really address at this point without Federal intervention:
  • Procurement of a failing car manufacturer that was bought out by an unqualified bidder

That, or it's possible to appreciate what you have, while acknowleding that improvements can, and should, be made.

I don't feel I've been gaslit by the T or anyone; I just prefer to enjoy the resources available to me. In fact, once I take the dog out for a quick walk, I'll be hopping on the Green Line and heading into DTX for a few hours and then returning by the same method. Just as I've done three times already this week. I enjoyed those trips and I'm looking forward to today's.
I've traveled to all 3 cities you mentioned and apart from SF, NYC's MTA and Chicago's CTA is miles ahead of the MBTA. The idea that people would be "stoked" about having a public transit like the MBTA is such a YMMV, that declaring that has zero value. All I can say is, in the past year, the MBTA has made headlines on national news for the wrong reasons more than any other transit agency, save for maybe the MTA (due to the assaults on passenger which really doesn't have anything to do with the agency operating it)

Back