General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I wonder if they'll let the GM-for-a-Day pay a visit to this spot.

I wonder if they'll let the GM-for-a-Day pay a visit to this spot.

FYI. MBCR is a completely separate agency of the MBTA. MBCR would have to be the one who disciplines those employees. To put it another way if the state doesn't renew MBCR's contract and they awarded Amtrak the contract to run Commuter Rail again then MBCR would pretty much cease to exist.

P.S. For anyone that wins. Request to see OCC on High Street. It is NOT to be missed!!!

Last edited:

So Friday, thanks to a snow storm a Amtrak wire collapsed causing delays on the Providence/Stoughton line. It also apparently shut down track 2 around Rt. 128 station so only one track was usable. Unfortunately the T lacked the ability to manage that problem and decided to run the Boston bound Amtrak, a Canton bound train, and a Boston bound train through the area at the same time. The Amtrak breaks down pulling into the Rt. 128, or so they say. What I really believe is that with a train heading south and a train heading north, the Amtrak could not move forward or back. Regardless if it was indeed broken down (or maybe they shut off the power to fix the fallen catenary wire), the T lacked the knowledge to have the commuter rail trains bypass the Amtrak by moving it off a different track before pulling into the station and thus avoid having all 3 trains stuck for over an hour.

Our tax money at work, I bet they get overtime for sitting there and waiting for the Amtrak to move.

The MBTA is having a bad day.

Tell me about it. Took me 2 hours to get from parking at Oak Grove to boarding a trolley at North Station.

Massive delays and cancellations all across the board for the commuter rail, delays on every line, some bustitutions on the Green and earlier the Orange.

The MBTA is having a bad day.

GREEN LINE D - SERVICE SUSPENDED SHUTTLE BUSSING
Attention GREEN LINE Customers - Due to multiple disabled trains, SERVICE on the D LINE is currently SUSPENDED. A substitute BUS SHUTTLE is running between RIVERSIDE and RESERVOIR

* Bus (14 alerts)
* Commuter Rail (19 alerts)
* Elevator (3 alerts)
* Escalator (2 alerts)
* Silver Line (1 alert)
* Subway (6 alerts)

Disaster.

Got to OG @ 6:35.
Finally got to Haymarket @ 8:15

Part of that was an utterly useless shuttle bus trip from OG to Wellington.

I don't mind stuff breaking down in arctic temps, but they need to do a better job of letting people (including their own people) what is going on.

I went from station to platform to bus area and back about three times this morning.

You're right about the lack of information on the part of the T. When I moved to Toronto, I thought that the TTC must be the most afflicted agency based on how often they announce service delays. Then I realized, it's not that they suffer delays and service slow/shutdowns more than anyone else, they're just a lot better at announcing things when they do go wrong - maybe sometimes to the point of excess.

Maybe they already have the ability and just choose not to use it, but the T needs some sort of communications system directly from the operations center to the stations and subway cars. That way, if you're sitting on a subway and wondering why you're not moving, or standing on a platform wondering why there hasn't been a Forest Hills-bound train in 15 minutes, you know why. Sure, you might not be able to do anything about it, but at least you'll be aware that there's a problem and maybe have an estimate for how long it'll take to fix.

I think a lot of people understand and accept that a large, 7-day-a-week system will have problems every now and then. I think it frustrates people not to have information about the delays so that they can take control of their situation and either wait or find an alternative (walking, a cab, a bus). The T really needs to work on this.

You're right about the lack of information on the part of the T. When I moved to Toronto, I thought that the TTC must be the most afflicted agency based on how often they announce service delays. Then I realized, it's not that they suffer delays and service slow/shutdowns more than anyone else, they're just a lot better at announcing things when they do go wrong - maybe sometimes to the point of excess.

Maybe they already have the ability and just choose not to use it, but the T needs some sort of communications system directly from the operations center to the stations and subway cars. That way, if you're sitting on a subway and wondering why you're not moving, or standing on a platform wondering why there hasn't been a Forest Hills-bound train in 15 minutes, you know why. Sure, you might not be able to do anything about it, but at least you'll be aware that there's a problem and maybe have an estimate for how long it'll take to fix.

I think a lot of people understand and accept that a large, 7-day-a-week system will have problems every now and then. I think it frustrates people not to have information about the delays so that they can take control of their situation and either wait or find an alternative (walking, a cab, a bus). The T really needs to work on this.

The in-car displays can't even display the correct station half the time, let alone real-time updates, lol. Train operators are supposed to make announcements about delays too and sometimes they do... and we all know how well the speakers in the cars work. =/

To be fair there were constant announcements about the extended delay, but for one example of poor communication: We were finally allowed to board a train at OG. After sitting for approx 10 minutes a T employee made the following announcement:
"We are having some mechanical issues with this train but there are three shuttle buses outside waiting to head to N.Station. This train should be moving momentarily."

What?

What are we to do with this information? Do you stay and hope the train moves soon or take your chances that you might be one of the few people who can squeeze on one the three buses?

I waited. Wrong answer. That train was taken out of service. I ended up on the third wave of shuttle buses.

The in-car displays can't even display the correct station half the time, let alone real-time updates, lol. Train operators are supposed to make announcements about delays too and sometimes they do... and we all know how well the speakers in the cars work. =/

Yes, admittedly, the TTC's ability to transmit information to the subways themselves generally just ends up frustrating more people because they're usually just intermittent static; so you don't know if the information they're talking about is pertinent to you. But the station announcements are clear.

I'm just saying that the technology does exist and if the T is serious about trying to improve the customer service experience, informing customers when something is wrong should be a cornerstone of that (I know they try). Of course, I'm sure the T would love to have a system like that but doesn't have the money. *sigh* What about those shiny LED screens they've installed that currently just tell you the date and time and when a train is approaching/arriving. Does anyone know if those could be used to disseminate useful information?

Yes, admittedly, the TTC's ability to transmit information to the subways themselves generally just ends up frustrating more people because they're usually just intermittent static; so you don't know if the information they're talking about is pertinent to you. But the station announcements are clear.

I'm just saying that the technology does exist and if the T is serious about trying to improve the customer service experience, informing customers when something is wrong should be a cornerstone of that (I know they try). Of course, I'm sure the T would love to have a system like that but doesn't have the money. *sigh* What about those shiny LED screens they've installed that currently just tell you the date and time and when a train is approaching/arriving. Does anyone know if those could be used to disseminate useful information?
They do... they read the latest "Service Alert" if there is one. They can also be specially programmed and station specific such as alerting GC passengers that D service is terminating at Park St and you should take any train 1 stop.

Otherwise, they read "Hi this is Chief Paul MacMillan of the MBTA transit police department. Now more than ever it is important to be alert, be aware, and be ready to report any suspicious activity to transportation officials or transit police officer. So if you see something, say something. Call the MBTA transit police at 617-222-1212 and thank you for riding the T." (yes, I typed that directly off the top of my head, I hear it in my sleep) and then Rachel Kaprielian, Registrar of the RMV comes on and starts blabbing.

Good to know. They were still in their infancy when I left Boston and (thankfully) I have not had any problems on my subsequent T trips when visiting.

And I know what you mean. Travelling on the T so often, I used to be able to recite most of the Spanish announcements by heart...

... I can't speak Spanish.

The text-to-speech on the alerts is pretty bad though, but not quite as bad as the text-to-speech at South Station hahahaha.

I will share my story today.

My trip was going from North Quincy to Coolidge Corner. I got to North Quincy at 7:34, just missing an inbound train. I sat there for 20 minutes before the station personnel informed us that the next inbound train was disabled going into North Quincy and that those passengers would be let off and the train would be coming through, not taking any passengers, and head to the yard. Another 15 minutes goes by and the train has not come by and I look down the line and I can see an inbound train that is not moving between Wollaston and North Quincy. We hear another announcement saying that the train has become completely immobile and that the inbound train behind this one is going to drop all its passengers off at Wollaston and then push this one to the yard. Great. So at this point I, and many others, had been standing out there for over 35 minutes. Given that the North Quincy platform was packed, you had the disabled train and the pushing train both having dropped of their passengers coupled with those that were already waiting at Wollaston, my thinking was that I was going to have to wait for at least 2-3 trains to come by before I would be able to get on one of the packed trains coming inbound. At this point people are freaking out, given that it was so damn cold out. One man was berating the T worker asking exactly how long he was going to have to wait. I personally would up standing out there for 50 minutes before I was able to get on an inbound train.

So finally, they took a Braintree bound train and turned that into an inbound train. We boarded on the outbound side and the train went in the opposite direction before changing over to the inbound side just before the Neponsett Bridge.

The man making the announcements did a good job explaining the situation by making multiple announcements and even cracking a few jokes to help lighten the mood. But to wait 50 minutes for an inbound train during rush hour is terrible given any weather condition.

Also, I think the T does a good job of having delay announcements be made of the speakers and digital signs. I however always notice that the automated car announcements are either wrong, or way off. And also laugh at the workers who make the announcements themselves. For instance the guy today on the red line sounded like he wanted to kill himself making the stop announcements.

I also read in the Metro today that the T is studying ways to have corporate sponsorships on things line lines and stops.

They do... they read the latest "Service Alert" if there is one. They can also be specially programmed and station specific such as alerting GC passengers that D service is terminating at Park St and you should take any train 1 stop.

Otherwise, they read "Hi this is Chief Paul MacMillan of the MBTA transit police department. Now more than ever it is important to be alert, be aware, and be ready to report any suspicious activity to transportation officials or transit police officer. So if you see something, say something. Call the MBTA transit police at 617-222-1212 and thank you for riding the T." (yes, I typed that directly off the top of my head, I hear it in my sleep) and then Rachel Kaprielian, Registrar of the RMV comes on and starts blabbing.

I swear it is "and be ready to report any suspicious activity to MBTA officials or MBTA transit police officer. Your eyes and your ears can help protect us all" etc. Or maybe that was an older one. Nevertheless, it is way overplayed.

I swear it is "and be ready to report any suspicious activity to MBTA officials or MBTA transit police officer. Your eyes and your ears can help protect us all" etc. Or maybe that was an older one. Nevertheless, it is way overplayed.

Yes, that is it indeed. Dont know how I left that out. YAH EYIZ, YAH EAHS, and YAH infamation can help protect us all, so if you...

I also read in the Metro today that the T is studying ways to have corporate sponsorships on things line lines and stops.

Jeez-not_agaian.jpg

I really hope that just means stations having exclusive advertising rights. Anyone remember the days of "State/Citizens Bank"? Stations with sponsors in the name looks REALLY low rent. Even for the T.

Boston.com January 24, 2011
T general manager apologizes for delays during freezing rush hour
Posted by Martin Finucane January 24, 2011 01:36 PM

By Martin Finucane, Globe Staff, and Katherine Landergan, Globe Correspondent

MBTA General Manager Richard Davey apologized today for the delays this morning on the public transit system that left a number of commuters standing out in subzero cold.

"It was not a good day," he said in a telephone interview. "We're going to do our best to make sure that does not happen for tomorrow's rush hour."

The problems with public transportation couldn't have come at a worse time. Temperatures in Boston dropped to 2 below zero overnight and in some outlying areas served by MBTA, temperatures reached nearly 10 below.

Davey said the cold air affected the propulsion and brake systems on Orange, Red, and Green Line trains. The Orange Line, which has older equipment, was particularly hard-hit. On the commuter rail system, he said, there were problems with signals and at grade crossings that forced trains to go slower. Some buses also had problems, he said, particularly those that are kept outside overnight at the Albany Street facility.

"This was very unusual weather," he said. But at the same time, he said, "It gets cold and it snows in Boston so we should be prepared. ... The bottom line is we can do better."

Jenny Mackintosh of Newton said she was among a crowd of people who waited for the Green Line trolley at Newton Highlands this morning.

?I?m sure everyone was frustrated,? she said. ?It didn?t really strike me that there was much communication going on.?

Mackintosh said she arrived at the subway stop around 8:20 a.m., and waited for a D line train until 9:17 a.m. A picture taken by Mackintosh shows a disabled trolley standing just yards away. MBTA officials announced that a bus was on the way, but it never came, she said. Mackintosh vented her frustration by updating her Twitter feed.

?As a side note, this is a great day for us all to wait outside for an undetermined amount of time,? Mackintosh tweeted.

Fortunately, most people were dressed warmly and there were no major problems, she said.

?Under normal circumstances, it would be a major inconvenience,? Mackintosh said. ?But with the cold weather, it was dangerous.?

Back