General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

The MBTA seems to be having a good day.

Their website appears to be down and their Twitter feed is listing delays and cancellations on 7 CR lines and ALL bus routes. 20 bus routes are being re-routed due to snow issues.

I think any commuters on here might be better of sleeping at the office rather than trying to take the T into work tomorrow.

Good luck!

I dont like the way the bus warnings work. Take the 67, the end of the line is a loop, but it says the bus wont be running on the return street....so what happens...?

There's really nothing that the MBTA can do today. I'm not a big fan of the way the T handles their shit, but they're trying to do the best that they can.

They do a better job at clearing the rails that the Commonwealth does at sanding the roads. Today was absurd.

Even on a good day the CR is late or full of cancellations. For the second straight day the Providence/Stoughton line pulls in 20 minutes after the posted arrival without posting any alert until 5 minutes before the train arrives to tell us the next train is cancelled so they had to hold our train up. This week so far in my experience for the IB and OB services, the trains were late a whopping 86% of the time. I can't wait to see the service performance for January. Anything above 50% for on-time services for this line will definitely be a blatant lie.

Even on a good day the CR is late or full of cancellations. For the second straight day the Providence/Stoughton line pulls in 20 minutes after the posted arrival without posting any alert until 5 minutes before the train arrives to tell us the next train is cancelled so they had to hold our train up. This week so far in my experience for the IB and OB services, the trains were late a whopping 86% of the time. I can't wait to see the service performance for January. Anything above 50% for on-time services for this line will definitely be a blatant lie.

The last several times I've taken the 8:55 train at Rozzie Square, the outbound train has passed first. It's single track at this point through a spot beyond West Roxbury. The trains are supposed to pass each other between Forest Hills and Roslindale, so when they don't, that's a good 25 minute delay on the other train. I don't take this train that often, how is it always out of sequence when I do?

Why does the CR not stop at North Quincy? There are several large employers within walking distance of the station. There's a stop at JFK/UMass, so why not here? I understand that students going to BC High use it, as well as UMass Boston and the Globe employees, but I would have to assume more people would use a North Quincy stop than the JFK/UMass one.

Also, why does the Braintree branch not make a stop in Neponset Circle? It seems likes it would make for a good location given the distance the Red Line travels between North Quincy and JFK/UMass.

JFK/Umass Should be eliminated. There shouldn't be commuter rail stops inside of 128 except in core areas (ie: N/S Station of course, Back Bay) and the furthest possible rapid transit station should host the transfer point (in this case, Braintree) so they're able to get a seat.

A Neponset stop should exist, but riders in Braintree will fight tooth and nail to stop anything which may tack on a couple extra minutes to their commute. In fact, I'm pretty sure they already did shoot down a plan in the past. Braintree riders are notoriously bitchy.

Even on a good day the CR is late or full of cancellations.

Hence why Amtrak wont even *bid* on the contract to run commuter rail any more. As I understand they may not particularly care fo rthe clause of having to compensate customers with 2 complimentary fares due to delays. So MBCR keeps getting the contract. Scrap that and Amtrak may seek to run Commuter Rail again like in the early 90s + 80s.

JFK/Umass Should be eliminated. There shouldn't be commuter rail stops inside of 128 except in core areas (ie: N/S Station of course, Back Bay) and the furthest possible rapid transit station should host the transfer point (in this case, Braintree) so they're able to get a seat.

There should be stops within Rt 128. It would be inefficient otherwise since workers would have to travel downtown just to transfer to the CR and then have the go through the same path they took. Also you have to remember not all IB passengers work in the DT area. Some work right outside of it.

There should be stops within Rt 128. It would be inefficient otherwise since workers would have to travel downtown just to transfer to the CR and then have the go through the same path they took. Also you have to remember not all IB passengers work in the DT area. Some work right outside of it.
Huh? Under UrbEx's system, people that work in North Quincy would take the CR to Braintree (say from Middleboro/Lakeville) and then transfer to the Red Line to North Quincy. Then on their commute home, they would just take the Red Line back to Braintree and then hop on the CR...

I think you missed the the entire end of his post where he said that there would be a stop at the end of each rapid transit line.

Huh? Under UrbEx's system, people that work in North Quincy would take the CR to Braintree (say from Middleboro/Lakeville) and then transfer to the Red Line to North Quincy. Then on their commute home, they would just take the Red Line back to Braintree and then hop on the CR...

I think you missed the the entire end of his post where he said that there would be a stop at the end of each rapid transit line.

Yep, this ^

To eliminate redundancies in commuting, you transfer immediately. Obviously some lines will have to stop inside 128 like the Fitchburg and Lowell, but things should be hammered out so that rapid transit picks up the transfers as far out as possible and sorts out people who aren't going downtown (or simply people who will transfer, but prefer not to at crowded downtown stations).

A Neponset stop should exist, but riders in Braintree will fight tooth and nail

Why should a Neponset stop exist? From Boston Bowl to the Neponset River, the Red Line row is on the wrong side of Morrissey Blvd and has little hope of drawing large numbers of riders across it. The only neighborhood on that side of Morrissey is Port Norfolk, which consists of about 50 homes. If you wait until the Red Line crosses over to the "populated" side of Morrissey you're already within walking distance of Fields Corner. I think the 27,000 riders boarding in Braintree and Quincy would have good reason to fight the addition of a couple minutes to their trip to serve this nonexistent market (although my gut tells me the Port Norfolk residents would fight a new station even more).

Right where Morrisey meets the tracks is a prime spot, IMO.

Have you guys seen the new orange line maps on the O-line trains? They are covering up the 'New England Medical Center' with a 'Tufts Medical Center' label from a Brother P-touch labeler machine. I'm pretty sure every office in the country has one of these machines. Pretty ghetto, but oh so MBTA.

Have you guys seen the new orange line maps on the O-line trains? They are covering up the 'New England Medical Center' with a 'Tufts Medical Center' label from a Brother P-touch labeler machine. I'm pretty sure every office in the country has one of these machines. Pretty ghetto, but oh so MBTA.

Oh they've used those Brother label makers everywhere on the T.

My favorite though is the White-Out EZ-Correction Tape to cover over "ICA" on the in-car maps that say Hynes/ICA as well as the eliminated stops on the B line.

BICWOTAPP11.jpg

They do the same with the B line station that they no longer serve. I pulled a prank once by switching some of the stickies onto stations they do serve like Harvard Ave.

It seems that the 'T has two approaches, cheap stickers or million dollar multi-year contracts to crony sign makers. Of the two options, I prefer the stickers and white-out approach.

I always find it funny when the maps on the older Red Line cars peel off to reveal the old map where it used to end at Quincy Center and Harvard.

We should make our own labels and start renaming things. Start printing now for an April 1st bomb.

I'll make solid colored labels with white dots so we can extend lines. Also, white out the whole silver lie.

Back