General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I cant get the second half of the article since i am not a globe subscriber, but there is alot if interesting stuff about the T budget here... are they actually getting close to a balanced budget???

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...011/02/23/mbta_forges_plan_to_reduce_deficit/

MBTA forges plan to reduce deficit
Sale of revenue at parking lots is among ideas
By Eric Moskowitz
Globe Staff / February 23, 2011

Facing a projected deficit of more than $130 million for the coming year, MBTA leaders outlined a plan yesterday to balance the budget without raising fares or cutting service.

Included is a proposal to sell parking revenue at most MBTA lots to investors in exchange for up-front cash to pay off debt, as well as a deal to lease the 1,275-space parking garage below North Station and TD Garden, which combined would generate or save $80 million for the year.

T leaders also plan to keep staffing below 6,000 employees, the lowest in at least a decade, and boost ridership by 3 percent or more, as well as to lean heavily on new advertising.

The authority plans not only more billboards, but ads on the CharlieCard and on the MBTA website.

And it wants to do away with the first article in the Customer Bill of Rights, a Constitution-type scroll framed in a carved display case at T headquarters. In lieu of that right ? which entitles people to a complimentary fare whenever a train, bus, or trolley is delayed 30 minutes or more ? the T would invest in long-awaited countdown signs at Red, Orange, and Blue Line platforms, telling subway riders how many minutes remain until the next train.

?I really want the customers to know that we?re going to eliminate the program in [order to] make what I think is a substantial improvement in the subway system,?? said Richard A. Davey, general manager for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The package of new revenue and budget cuts that Davey and the T proposed would still leave a projected $33 million gap for fiscal 2012, which starts July 1. To make up the difference, they suggested again refinancing some of the T?s debt, more than $8 billion in long-term principal and interest payments, to save in the short term. In the process, the T could balance its 2012 budget while adding just $1 million to long-term costs, said Jonathan R. Davis, deputy general manager and chief financial officer.

The final decision lies with the five-member board that oversees the MBTA and the state Department of Transportation and that which is scheduled to pass the final budget by April 15.

Members who sit on the board?s finance subcommittee asked MBTA staff yesterday to prepare alternatives that show what cuts would follow ? how many fewer buses would run, for example, or how expensive fares would get ? if the T avoided refinancing debt to make up the $33 million difference.

?I?d like to know and be able to evaluate what the pain level is if we went after that $30 million,?? said John R. Jenkins, , the Natick resident and insurance agency owner who chairs the board.Continued...

It's a really bad idea to sell off the garages permanently. Offering a lease to privately operate the garages might be a good idea though.

The second part of the article.

Earlier, Davis projected the coming year?s deficit at $127 million, but that grew to more than $135 million after calculating extra contributions to pension funds that the T is required to make to offset market losses.

The T?s proposal includes a number of small savings or revenue ideas that add up, including $4.8 million by eliminating more overtime requests, $2.2 million by restructuring station and equipment cleaning contracts, $1.1 million by switching buses to a low-sulfur diesel fuel, and about $5 million in new advertising.

But the biggest chunk would squeeze millions more from parking lots and garages. Last month the MBTA proposed securitizing revenue from most of its parking areas, in other words, selling to investors the long-term income associated with nearly 50,000 parking spaces, in exchange for a lump sum today. That might mean $300 million in one-time cash, which the T could use to pay off debt.

That, along with refinancing, could help reduce next year?s scheduled debt payments from about $450 million to $400 million.

That reduced debt figure accounts for about one-fourth of the T?s nearly $1.7 billion projected budget. About $550 million would be covered by fares and advertising; communities served by the T kick in more than $150 million, while a chunk of the state sales tax and additional legislative help accounts for more than $1 billion.

Davey has said the parking plan would let the T retain control of prices for commuters at the lots involved. Separately, the T wants to lease the North Station garage for $45 million a year. Davey said he supports that plan, even if it might drive prices higher, because the garage is used not by MBTA commuters but by motorists driving to TD Garden events or with business around North Station.

The T estimates that eliminating the Bill of Rights refund could save $600,000 annually. Since 2008, the T has approved an average of 69,546 yearly claims, the vast majority of them filed by riders of commuter rail, which provides roughly 10 percent of the MBTA?s 1.3 million daily trips.

The money instead could pay for Red, Orange, and Blue Line countdown signs, benefiting about 40 percent of the system?s riders, some of them commuter rail customers who are making the last leg of a commute to work or the first leg of a trip home, Davey said.

In other business, the board discussed an audit released last month by outgoing Auditor A. Joseph DeNucci?s office that criticized as too generous the T?s contract with the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Co., the private consortium that is paid more than $250 million a year to operate commuter rail.

Board member Ferdinand Alvaro Jr., a corporate lawyer from Marblehead, said he wants the T to consider ending privatization of commuter rail when the contract expires in mid- 2013.

?It seems to me that we?ve kind of got the worst of both worlds here,?? Alvaro said. ?We?ve outsourced something which we arguably could have done ourselves and wound up spending a lot more money than if we?d done it ourselves.??

Davey said afterward that MBTA and Department of Transportation leaders are considering it ?as part of our due-diligence to think about the next generation contract for commuter rail.??

Eric Moskowitz can be reached at emoskowitz@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...23/mbta_forges_plan_to_reduce_deficit/?page=2

I don't think they'll have a hard time increasing ridership if gas prices keep going the way they are. I remember the record ridership levels in 2007 and 2008 before the recession began in earnest and gas prices were skyrocketing. I recall reading recently that monthly ridership levels are flirting with the record again (a bit above 1.3 million, most of that due to increases on the subway and buses). So, depending on how long instability in the Middle East continues, we might see new ridership records being made in the near future.

That said, not jazzed about ads on the website. That looks a bit low rent for out-of-town visitors. But, they gotta do what they gotta do. I hope to see a healthy, functional T in my lifetime. I'm not optimistic, but I can still hope.

So a woman is having trouble waiting for the gate to open (using ticket, not a card) at Harvard and starts to push at the gate unknowingly. A kind station attendant comes out of his little hut to show her why she had trouble (although it did finally let her through after a few seconds) and then her daughter who is now trying to come through proceeds to proclaim with disgust "We're not from around here, you know!!!". What a bitch. This guy is always nice and friendly with everyone (it's the Church St entrance at Harvard, he's there everyyy day), I don't know how he can deal with some people. I don't know how ANY attendant can deal with some people. I wanted to trip her by the stairs pretty bad.

So a woman is having trouble waiting for the gate to open (using ticket, not a card) at Harvard and starts to push at the gate unknowingly. A kind station attendant comes out of his little hut to show her why she had trouble (although it did finally let her through after a few seconds) and then her daughter who is now trying to come through proceeds to proclaim with disgust "We're not from around here, you know!!!". What a bitch. This guy is always nice and friendly with everyone (it's the Church St entrance at Harvard, he's there everyyy day), I don't know how he can deal with some people. I don't know how ANY attendant can deal with some people. I wanted to trip her by the stairs pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAoKrXChPCk

On the London Undeground, they now have announcements about when a line will be closed for repairs/upgrades.
[youtube]PwAxW-MwHIM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Do you think that the T would ever implement such a feature if they decide to close off a section of track for repairs/upgrades?

*Sigh* I wish that a bill for State funding of the T could be proposed in the Legislature.

On the London Undeground, they now have announcements about when a line will be closed for repairs/upgrades.
[youtube]PwAxW-MwHIM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Do you think that the T would ever implement such a feature if they decide to close off a section of track for repairs/upgrades?

*Sigh* I wish that a bill for State funding of the T could be proposed in the Legislature.

There's no reason for it. There's a routine closure going on the MBTA right now too: Blue Line on weekends (Gov't Center to Maverick) is being bustituted so they can keep working on State St. They just post large, nicely-designed, color laser-printed signs in stations.

For those wondering: Yeah, I was actually impressed by the graphic design of those diversion signs.

London doesnt provide bustitution, they just strand you.

Thats not a model we want to follow.

Yeah, a video like that seems a bit excessive. I think ample notice by way of posters or automated announcements in stations in the days leading up to the closure is sufficient.

Yeah, a video like that seems a bit excessive. I think ample notice by way of posters or automated announcements in stations in the days leading up to the closure is sufficient.

Not if you're a tourist and you assume the DLR will be running on the weekend to get you to City Airport.

"Excuse me, the DLR is closed, where are the bus shuttles"
"Lol, get a cab for 100 quid"

My post was more in response to whether the T would ever have need for such a tool. Having spent very little time in London, I can't say much about the Underground or its specific needs, but seeing as the T offers alternatives when lines are shut down (something that London apparently doesn't do), I don't see why such detailed videos would be necessary in the context of Boston.

Of course, one size doesn't fit all. Of course, I do like that you are at least given an explanation. I don't know if people really need to know what ballast does, but I like that the video explains what work is being done and why that necessitates the closure of the line. Not that it really changes anything - the line is still closed - but it's still nice to know the reason.

In New York it seems like half the subway system is closed or rerouted each weekend. The city seems to feel that advertising this fact, and the complicated, confusing specifics of it, on infrequently posted paper fliers is sufficient.

At Park St. today, I heard the automated announcement say the next green line train to riverside is now approaching. When did they start doing this?

I also saw downstairs they installed TV monitors too.

At Park St. today, I heard the automated announcement say the next green line train to riverside is now approaching. When did they start doing this?

I also saw downstairs they installed TV monitors too.

I heard one for the E-line yesterday too! I quickly knocked myself on the head to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

The monitors on the Red Line are the same as the ones on the Orange Line. Fewer door guards are needed and that saves money. Many of the former door guards can also be trained as motormen to run more train sets, if available, as well.

Park street also got a needed signage overhaul in spots and the stairs are being rebuilt.

I heard one for the E-line yesterday too! I quickly knocked myself on the head to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Strangely enough I thought I heard an "approaching" announcement while waiting for a train to Bowdoin in Government Center about an hour and a half ago, however, there were no Blue Line trains approaching (in fact, no trains on the Blue Line were moving at all due to an incident at State). And it didn't sound like the massage was anywhere close by, certainly wasn't played on the Blue Line platform.

Interesting, hope to see more announcements like that for the Green Line.

Cool. Park Street station is probably the one station that can use such a feature the most. I mean, how many times have you been standing on the outbound platform with the intent of going no further than Copley (so all branches are available to you) and not knowing where to wait based on what train will arrive next? At least this way you get a bit of a head start to the appropriate stop zone.

Cool. Park Street station is probably the one station that can use such a feature the most. I mean, how many times have you been standing on the outbound platform with the intent of going no further than Copley (so all branches are available to you) and not knowing where to wait based on what train will arrive next? At least this way you get a bit of a head start to the appropriate stop zone.

They also made a manual voice announcement saying there was a "Heath St - Huntington Ave train arriving on track 2."

This is great

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...ticles/2011/03/07/mbta_self_deprecation_pays/

MBTA: Self-deprecation pays

If selling T-themed t-shirts will help the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority make up for some of its projected $130 million deficit, launching an online merchandise store later this year can?t hurt. But if the agency keeps taking itself too seriously, the sales won?t end up helping very much. Early prototypes of the merchandise released by WardMaps, the company the MBTA has hired to create and sell the items, include t-shirts emblazoned with well-designed collages and mugs featuring the T map. While these earnest designs may appeal to the occasional tourist and subway buff, they don?t reflect the city?s love-hate relationship with the T.
If the MBTA truly wants to make money with its merchandise, it should consider selling some items that feed into the conventional wisdom ? even if it means acknowledging imperfect performance. Why not sell shirts that say, ?Better late than never?? Or how about mugs that suggest, ?Read a whole book; ride the T??

There?s a proven market for this type of snark. ?Mind the Gap? merchandise ? inspired by the warning given to London Underground passengers because of a design flaw in the Tube ? are popular worldwide. For its part, the T already honors its colorful reputation with the ?Charlie? card, named for the ?man who never returned? in the old Kingston Trio song mocking an old fare policy. These days, it would take a certain level of self-assurance for the MBTA to sell a product that elicits laughs at its own expense. But if those products fly off the shelves, the MBTA will have the last laugh.

More monitors for south station.

IMG_8816.jpg

How about putting more in back bay (only two behind the counter?)

The rest of the station is so infuriating.

Go ahead, arrive at back bay randomly and try to find the next train to south station. All the stupid boards say is "south station - on time" with NO CLUE as to when that is.

Back