General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Because how many people take commuter trains between Back Bay and South Station?

I know it happens, but it must be really rare.

People who want to take the Fairmount or Old Colony lines would do so, since those lines don't serve Back Bay.

Because how many people take commuter trains between Back Bay and South Station?

I know it happens, but it must be really rare.

Me. Hence the annoyance.

It's the quickest link between the Back Bay and the financial district, and at rush hour often comes with RT-ish headways. It's also free inbound towards SS, but an MBCR employee told me that it's a 1A fare going outbound towards BB (why?)

The monitor I noticed they installed at Park Street Red Line platforms has been turned on and it is showing 4 different camera feeds of the platform. What's the reason for this?

The monitor I noticed they installed at Park Street Red Line platforms has been turned on and it is showing 4 different camera feeds of the platform. What's the reason for this?

Single-operator trains. Driver in the front needs to be able to see the activity all the way down the platform, since they removed the middleman.

Actually, quite a lot of 'in the know' people take the CR from Back Bay to South Station (or vice versa) during rush hour since there's a train in that direction at least every 10 minutes and it requires no switching at Downtown Crossing. Not to mention the fact that it's free. While the numbers aren't huge, it's sufficient enough for the T to figure that people want a schedule between the two (which I can't find at the moment).

It's not generally useful during off-peak hours since the headways are longer and the annoyance of switching trains at Downtown Crossing is lessened.

I believe Yawkey-BB and BB-Yawkey is also free, so NEC passengers and OL passengers can get to/from there. I don't know about Yawkey-SS or SS-Yawkey, though...

Am I correct that Porter Sq to South Station is free, too?

it's a 1A fare going outbound towards BB

Which is de facto free, since I've never seen fare collection happen before Ruggles.

Am I correct that Porter Sq to South Station is free, too?

Only the part that obliges you to walk from North Station to South.

Folks, the only officially free trip is between BB and South Station. All other zone 1as are $1.70, although it's very rarely collected.

The link-pass, monthly or weekly or daily includes zone 1a trips.

The schedule is here:
http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/D...d_Maps/Commuter_Rail/southstation_backbay.pdf

But again, would be much more useful if the idiotic signs said "5:10pm" instead of "on time, but we wont tell you if that means 2 minutes or tomorrow morning"

Also, only Charlie Ticket passes include Zone 1A on the commuter rail. CharlieCard passes don't, because the commuter rail has no way to read CharlieCards (yet).

How about putting more in back bay (only two behind the counter?)

The rest of the station is so infuriating.

Go ahead, arrive at back bay randomly and try to find the next train to south station. All the stupid boards say is "south station - on time" with NO CLUE as to when that is.

All the trains are listed that way at Back Bay, not just inbound. The signs are essentially useless without departure/arrival times.

All the trains are listed that way at Back Bay, not just inbound. The signs are essentially useless without departure/arrival times.

The same for the LED signs when you first enter North Station. They just show the name of the line, whether it's on time, and the track number (if posted), but not the time of the train.

I was in South Station late last night and noticed in the food area they put up monitors that show departure times and track numbers.

I thought that could be helpful to those that take the CR a lot (I don't)

I was in South Station late last night and noticed in the food area they put up monitors that show departure times and track numbers.

I thought that could be helpful to those that take the CR a lot (I don't)

Those have been up for a while.

I've seen that South Station-Back Bay schedule in printed form at both stations, but how did you find it on the T web site? I don't see it listed at http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/ .

It's hiding under "document library - schedules"

The T loves to hide fun stuff in there....and the search function sucks.

And yes, north station has similar bad signs. So useless.

Back