General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I've wondered about the possibility of turning the E at Brigham Circle onto Tremont Street and running the length to Columbus Ave in mixed traffic - a much less busy street than Huntington. Then, from Columbus Ave to Dudley Square in a new median along Malcom X Blvd.

I've wondered about the possibility of turning the E at Brigham Circle onto Tremont Street and running the length to Columbus Ave in mixed traffic - a much less busy street than Huntington. Then, from Columbus Ave to Dudley Square in a new median along Malcom X Blvd.

Now that I can stand behind 100%. I actually think that's a great idea. Malcolm X Blvd is a little on the awkwardly-large side, so it could definitely accommodate a median. It would also be able to serve the high school and RCC.

That is a fantastic idea! I've spent a lot of time thinking about a Jackson to Dudley street car (with through service downtown via Washington), but this is much easier to achieve and should really do just as much good running the cars from Dudley along Washington.

Incredibly epic idea! But isn't the MBTA legally bound (not that that means anything to the T anymore...) to serve VA Medical Center? And if they were to pull up from there, the VA would come right at them with lawsuits.

Incredibly epic idea! But isn't the MBTA legally bound (not that that means anything to the T anymore...) to serve VA Medical Center? And if they were to pull up from there, the VA would come right at them with lawsuits.

Like seriously, the 39 follows the IDENTICAL route. It's not like the VA is going to lose transit access. It's time to just put an end to these superfluous legal bindings and start doing things to better the system. The "legal binding" of restoring Arborway service didn't stop them from paving the tracks (as you noted, it doesn't mean jack anymore).

The reality is that the streetcar service (Brigham Cir to Arborway) is from a bygone era before the massive suburban sprawl that now requires people to commute daily in their car along these routes, especially on Rt 9 which services Chestnut Hill, Natick, Worcester, and everything in between without using the Pike.

But are suburban commuters coming from Rt 9 really using that stretch of Huntington to get to work? I doubt it. People headed to Longwood will turn left at Brookline Ave. People headed to Back Bay or downtown will take the Riverway. I'd think most savvy commuters would avoid driving on Huntington at any cost.

The traffic situation would be improved if the E cars did not stop on the street-running portion of Huntington Avenue. Run them non-stop to the intersection of Huntington and South Huntington (where there's enough room for a trackside platform) and then non-stop to Heath Street. Having all the cars change ends at Brigham Circle would cause a major backups after Longwood.

The traffic situation would be improved if the E cars did not stop on the street-running portion of Huntington Avenue. Run them non-stop to the intersection of Huntington and South Huntington (where there's enough room for a trackside platform) and then non-stop to Heath Street. Having all the cars change ends at Brigham Circle would cause a major backups after Longwood.

I have no idea why they even added Back of The Hill as a street-running stop when the line reopened from Brigham to Heath in 1989. Check the MBTA's Ridership blue book, page 32: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/Bluebook 2009.pdf. BoTH has the single-lowest boardings on the entire Green Line...by a lot. Not much more than lowest of the low Valley Rd. and Capen St. on the Mattapan line. If a stop in the heart of JP is generating numbers like that, it has no reason to exist.

Get rid of that stop; Riverway and Heath are close enough and there's not a single business on that residential block. And get rid of Fenwood, which is 1 block from Brigham and has fifth lowest boardings on the whole Green Line. I don't think having just two on-street stops is bad at all. The station spacing between Brigham-Mission Park, Mission Park-Riverway, and Riverway-Heath is pretty much on-the-button average for the surface branches.

Riverway, I think, could even be taken off-road if they redeveloped the Citgo and that blighted garage/parking lot next to it into an actual peel-out station with real platforms and a bus turnout for all the routes that converge right at that intersection. Do that and you've got a decent case for whacking Mission Park too and having nothing but ADA-equipped platform stations.

Other thing they need to do is build a D & E track connection between Brookline Village and Huntington. The Green Line needs it for operational redundancy and equipment shuttling a la the Chestnut Hill Ave. B & C connection. Once the Somerville extension opens those D's are going to be traveling end-to-end. A second route to downtown, even if only at rush hour or when there's a delay, would do a ton of good. This project is in fact listed as a medium-priority build on the Boston MPO transit plan. Would open up all kinds of useful service patterns: E-Brookline Village with free D transfer, E-Riverside, E-Reservoir, round and round downtown loop service via E, Kenmore, and the subway. Whatever makes the most sense. And can be implemented without any trolleys getting caught in intersection traffic on Washington St. if they peel off onto quiet River Rd., cut over to the Brookline Ave./Pearl St. intersection across the ugly auto chop shop land, and go one block up Pearl to Brookline Village. Even better if Riverway station got moved onto the Citgo parcel, because then the trolleys could time their start out to BV from the platform with coordinated traffic light cycles giving them an opening to cut across.

I can agree with that too. My main frustration is based around those ridiculous stops. Fenwood Rd is laughable. It makes no sense. It is literally across the street from Brigham Circle.

I like the idea of somehow connecting the E to Brookline Village. It comes so close at Riverway. I use it to connect to the D anyway because I have a Link Pass.

Based on all these great ideas, it can at least be concluded that the E-line is incredibly inefficient and needs to change. It's really a very important issue too because it is the source of Lechmere trains. When the E gets all messed up, Lechmere service gets ridiculously delayed.

Does anyone know why they chose the E for Lechmere service?

But are suburban commuters coming from Rt 9 really using that stretch of Huntington to get to work? I doubt it. People headed to Longwood will turn left at Brookline Ave. People headed to Back Bay or downtown will take the Riverway. I'd think most savvy commuters would avoid driving on Huntington at any cost.

That stretch of Huntington is the fastest connection between Brookline and Copley/South End. As an occasional car commuter I haven't found it to be much worse than going through Beacon/Comm at Kenmore. The Riverway system is a convoluted route to downtown and not worth the effort versus the straight shot on Huntington.

That's what makes Huntington annoying for street-running trolleys - it's a major artery with almost no immediate workarounds. Using the hypothetical example of turning at Tremont, there are several roads that parallel Tremont and mirror its use, including Ruggles and (perhaps a bit less so) Heath Street. One can imagine selectively closing eastbound or westbound traffic on Tremont during the different rush hours. You couldn't do that on Huntington.

In any case, I completely agree with F-Line's ideas above - connecting the E with Brookline Village is such a no-brainer, as is reducing the number of on-street stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMV3hYBRl1s

Just found this video of tons of minor crashes MBTA buses are involved in. Not all of them are the bus driver's fault, but a lot of them are. Can you imagine the money the T would save in insurance costs and pay outs to other drivers if there were not so many accidents?

Here's another thought: Would it give the Green Line added flexibility to sometimes route inbound B trains on occassion onto the C line via Chestnut Hill Ave, or similarly terminate outbound C trains at BC? Continuing a train from the D at Reservoir onto the C or vice versa may be more complex (I don't know the track layout, but visually it seems like a more involved process) but perhaps that could be similarly done on occassion.

Like seriously, the 39 follows the IDENTICAL route. It's not like the VA is going to lose transit access. It's time to just put an end to these superfluous legal bindings and start doing things to better the system. The "legal binding" of restoring Arborway service didn't stop them from paving the tracks (as you noted, it doesn't mean jack anymore).

The reality is that the streetcar service (Brigham Cir to Arborway) is from a bygone era before the massive suburban sprawl that now requires people to commute daily in their car along these routes, especially on Rt 9 which services Chestnut Hill, Natick, Worcester, and everything in between without using the Pike.

I know people who take a bus to Copley Square and then jump right on the 39, rather than walk acorss, go downstairs and wait for the E line.

I have done it a few times and the 39 seems to be faster, just like the 57 is faster than the B line going from Kenmore to Packards Corner.

Here's another thought: Would it give the Green Line added flexibility to sometimes route inbound B trains on occassion onto the C line via Chestnut Hill Ave, or similarly terminate outbound C trains at BC? Continuing a train from the D at Reservoir onto the C or vice versa may be more complex (I don't know the track layout, but visually it seems like a more involved process) but perhaps that could be similarly done on occassion.

They should, but the T doesn't seem to believe in short-turning anymore. Things like that used to be common practice 25+ years ago when you had Arborway-Park St. and Heath-GC or Lechmere running simultaneously during peak hours.

They need to put a frigging short-turn on the B at Harvard Ave. And if they're smart they'll do just that if the MassHighway project to re-do the roadway, get rid of the high-speed lane/local lane cluster***k in favor of a Beacon St. setup, and relocate the B reservation to the center of the road ever gets done in our lifetime. They'd easily be able to stick a turnback stub the size of the one at Blandford St. on the reservation between Harvard and Griggs St., and pack those headways full on the most congested part of the line.

If they did that then it would make sense to run some extra BC trains via Chestnut Hill Ave. to pick up the slack on that and of the line. Center section up the hill is where the ridership really tails off. Sutherland and Chiswick get very little ridership, and Washington St. could be boosted by running more C's through nearby Washington Square. I wouldn't recommend more than trace, barely noticeable reduction in headways up the hill as we don't want anyone losing service, but if the B's gonna be late every goddamn time you might as well do a little flexible load-balancing to make it work better. It's the platform dwell times on the BU school bus portion from Harvard Ave. to Blandford that cause it to blow traffic light cycles and hose the schedule. Reduce dwell times there and it won't be such a continuous nightmare further up the line.

Poor girl in the driving school car. He did nothing wrong and gets rear ended because of some idiot pulling out of a driveway badly.

The last ones great "just merge already!"

Can you imagine the money the T would save in insurance costs and pay outs to other drivers if there were not so many accidents?

And um, how exactly do you lower the amount? Based on the amount of miles driven every day, the amount of accidents in absolutely tiny.

They should, but the T doesn't seem to believe in short-turning anymore. Things like that used to be common practice 25+ years ago when you had Arborway-Park St. and Heath-GC or Lechmere running simultaneously during peak hours.

It's because it messes up the donut break and card game schedule and the union cries about it. And that's all.

As someone who has ridden the bus on a regular basis for a few years now, I can't help but think some of these passenger related falls are their own fault. Look at the woman in the green shirt, who is overweight, standing up while the bus is moving, of course she's going to fall.

People need to have common sense and realize they are on a bus, it moves, it can make abrupt stops and you need to hold on to the railings and make sure your body is in line with the bus (You are facing the windows and not faced forward).

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people falling all over the place because they don't hold on, of they are trying to move around when the bus is moving. The 66 is the worst with people who will get up and make their way towards the exits, mind you while the bus is moving. My favorite is when people who are sitting down will get up and attempt to get to the exit, while the bus is packed and still moving.

News!

3-car E-trains do NOT go to Heath St because they can't fit around the Heath St loop. They all terminate at Brigham Circle! I guess they are running a 3-2-3-2-3... rush hour schedule.

I have yet to see a 3 car train at North Station (nor have I seen one, period) in either the morning or evening commutes. I think it's a conspiracy...

I have yet to see a 3 car train at North Station (nor have I seen one, period) in either the morning or evening commutes. I think it's a conspiracy...

I wonder if the first car's driver can easily see all the way back to make sure the other two trains would have shut their doors?

Back