General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I believe the displays on the dashboard show critical information such as that. Also, the door operators seem to usually set the green lights on the front of their trolley to flash when they're all set. I assume it's just to signal the lead operator.

It caught me off-guard as it pulled into GC because it was going so far past where OB trains normally stop. It was quite exciting for a transit geek like me. =)

I got a seat on the 3rd car. I guess they do work for capacity! It was 5:30PM, right during rush hour. As we got to LMA, the front driver announced that the train would be going out of service at Brigham Circle because our 3-car behemoth was over 230ft long and could not fit around the Heath St loop.

MBTA.com says:

Schedule
Bus stop heaters were installed at all existing shelters in 2010.
The project was advertised for construction in August 2010.
Roadway and shelter construction commenced in late 2010 and should be completed in the spring of 2011.

Lies.
Truths.
Lies.

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't see what the big deal is here? Aside for possibly some axle grease there is not a lot on a Green Line car that's combustible.

Boston.com - March 23, 2011

Green Line train drives over fire on tracks

By Martin Finucane, Globe Staff

A Green Line train drove over a small fire on the tracks Wednesday night on Beacon Street, according to a witness who snapped photographs of the incident.

The fire was on the tracks between Harvard Avenue and Winchester Street at about 7 p.m., said Bret Silverman, 45, of Boston. "You could see the orange flames were just coming right out," he said.

"I figured that's a no-brainer. The train isn't going to go with a fire on the tracks," he said. He started to take pictures because he thought it was an interesting scene.

Then a T worker inspected the fire and then waved the train forward, and the outbound train headed toward Cleveland Circle drove over the fire, he said.

Shortly afterwards, the fire department arrived and put out the flames, Silverman said.

Silverman said he's not an engineer and "it could be that's absolutely safe or standard, I have no idea." But he said he and other bystanders were amazed. "We all looked at each other and said, 'Did they just do that?'" he said.

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the blaze was a "minor trash fire that was quickly extinguished."

He said MBTA managers would talk with the train crew and other Green Line personnel about the incident as part of "standard fact gathering procedures."

Am I the only one who doesn't see what the big deal is here? Aside for possibly some axle grease there is not a lot on a Green Line car that's combustible.

Boston.com - March 23, 2011

Nah, I saw this on Ch 7 last night and thought the fear mongering was ridiculous. It's not like the trains run on gas or anything. It would be a foolish disruption of service to not have driven over it. People are so stupid. It's the same issue with the BPS school lunches. Safety isn't the problem, wasted money and fear mongering is.

I'm not sure I get the hoopla over 3-car trains on the Green Line. I was riding on them on the D Line in the late-90s, generally on Boeing consists. I realize that it has been about 10 years since they've run with any regularity, but it's not like this is the first instance where they've been running.

In other news, the MARC locomotives are now in use on the Commuter Rail. The saddest part about this is that at 16 years old, these locos are younger than all but two of the MBTA's locomotives.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/03/24/leased_locomotives_help_fill_gaps_in_mbta_commuter_rail_lineup/?

I'm not sure I get the hoopla over 3-car trains on the Green Line. I was riding on them on the D Line in the late-90s, generally on Boeing consists. I realize that it has been about 10 years since they've run with any regularity, but it's not like this is the first instance where they've been running.[/URL]
The hoopla is because the MBTA (Davey) actually listened to us. It's the first time ever for the E-line. The implementation was done extremely quickly too. There wasn't a "next year we'll do this" attitude. Instead, it was "let's trial it" and then "trial worked. next week, let's just triple it" attitude. Davey is the best thing that ever could have happened to the MBTA.

Stop the train for a fire, "The T is late AGAIN! I cannot go ANYWHERE or rely on these hacks who are sitting around doing nothing!"

Don't stop for fire, "The T decided to run my train right over a FLAME! I am in DANGER! These hacks are just hoping something happens so they can collect DISABILITY!"

The Red Line and Orange consistently run over fires. They usually just burn themselves out or the trains effectively smother it out. If it's serious enough they'll use a fire extinguisher and no one would even know.

i can understand heavy rail fires starting with garbage on the third rail, but how does a fire start on surface green line tracks? (The only options I can think of would be a spark from the overhead wires landing on dunkin donuts cup on the tracks, or perhaps a stray cigarette...)

Oh for fuck's sake, it's now the top story on Boston.com.

This:
Then a T worker inspected the fire and then waved the train forward.
is all we need to know. The situation was assessed, a safety determination was made, and an operational decision followed. Isn't this exactly how it's supposed to work? Good job MBTA!

Sure, I can understand making a big deal out of a more responsive T - to me that sounds like more something worthy of discussion. And I am impressed at some of the moves Davey has made (though I do not envy that man).

I guess I just can't get excited about capacity changes that come at almost no expense to the T and is doing something that they've already done before and did so after spending millions upgrading the electrical to have that capacity. If anything, I'd ask why they weren't running 3-car trains five years ago when ridership on the Green Line was about 15-20% higher than it is today.

But, that's just me.

They couldn't run 3 cars during construction at Arlington and Copley. It's not always about poor management or money. By the way, where do you get those ridership figures. I find that very surprising.

The T document library uploaded schedules for 710, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716.

These buses dont appear anywhere else. What are they?

Oh and theres a new powerpoint called "MBTA Legislative Caucus"

What I noticed as new:

State Street finished in 45 days
Signal Prioritization Project at D Street Intersection (Silver Line)
and
"Automated Fare Collection Interoperability Project (BAT announcement is imminent)"

Whatever that means.

BAT is Brockton Area Transit, the regional transit agency which overlaps with the T points south. Has the most routes of any out-of-district bus system. They must be going interoperable with Charlie Cards on their buses, which is a really good idea since lots of folks transfer from T routes to their routes.

Some of those 7xx routes serve Winthrop. Another goes to Hull. Another is a minibus in Medford. They are private operators subsidized by the T.

Back