General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

The MBTA should sell the Blue Line's old State Street signs which I'm sure went into a dumpster. They sold some Arlington signs thru Ward Maps, before, and a couple Harvard signs... I think they were only $200 or something.

This isn't exactly anything new. The store at Park St. used to sell T schwag in the late-90's until they sort of gave up after a couple years. Even made the Boston Phoenix's Best Of... issue one year as one of the best places to pick up uniquely Boston kitsch. They had the spider map shirts, shirts for each line color, T hats, T Xmas ornaments, T mugs with the spider map. Could buy them while you were waiting for the Red Line to get un-hosed on your afternoon commute.

I still have my faded black T hat I bought there in 1999. Always take it off when I'm actually on the T because I'm afraid it'll get confiscated by someone thinking I'm impersonating an official (they stopped making the hats real quickly after 9/11). And seem to faintly recall Menino passing some serious gas about 10-11 years ago about the color "T" shirts being used as gang paraphernalia ("Orange Line represent???"), much like he did more infamously later with those "Stop snitchin'" shirts.

I'd probably buy model MBTA buses, trolleys, and trains as Boston centric gifts for people if they were available directly from the MBTA.

^^ Cool idea, Lurker. Cooler still if that had the scent of an electrical fire.

A trolley bell alarm clock could sell very well.

^^ Cool idea, Lurker. Cooler still if that had the scent of an electrical fire.

Or a button that plays "This train is being taken out of service. Please pardon any inconvenience we may be causing." when you push it.

HO scale MBTA rolling stock would put me back into my child hood and digging out my model trains. I've tried looking for such simply to have as a small display, but damn is it hard... If I could find some reasonably priced I'd buy it. Most people just make them for themselves, which I'm pretty sure I'd screw up doing... Would be nice to have a model of an MBTA GP40MC hauling some bilevels.

Or a button that plays "This train is being taken out of service. Please pardon any inconvenience we may be causing." when you push it.

Ha, design it just like the Staples button, except have the T logo on it... Have it rotate through that and "Attention passengers, the Orange Line is experiencing delays of 15-20 minutes due to disabled train."

Ha, design it just like the Staples button, except have the T logo on it... Have it rotate through that and "Attention passengers, the Orange Line is experiencing delays of 15-20 minutes due to disabled train."

Endless fun. Would make millions. If they don't do it, hit me up and we'll do it.

I'm very impressed with the GL bustitution. I've never had to wait for a shuttle. It's probably more efficient than the actual GL.

I'm very impressed with the GL bustitution. I've never had to wait for a shuttle. It's probably more efficient than the actual GL.

I find it amusing when they run blue line shuttles and there are 20+ buses sitting outside government center.

Basically, it's the standard train tradeoff.

Trains = more capacity with cheaper labor....but longer headays.

To carry the same amount of people on buses, you need one leaving every 30 seconds...which is much more rider friendly.

I find it amusing when they run blue line shuttles and there are 20+ buses sitting outside government center.

Basically, it's the standard train tradeoff.

Trains = more capacity with cheaper labor....but longer headays.

To carry the same amount of people on buses, you need one leaving every 30 seconds...which is much more rider friendly.

Yeah they pretty much maintain 3 buses at North Sta and 3 at Lechmere.

I was invited to a GM for a Day roundtable as a consolation prize for entering. I'll be going to the Monday session. Anything I should toss out there or bring up or something? We get to express concerns and suggestions.

I was invited to a GM for a Day roundtable as a consolation prize for entering. I'll be going to the Monday session. Anything I should toss out there or bring up or something? We get to express concerns and suggestions.

How about:

-Tell the unions to stop wasting space in the Metro with their lame and cheap looking ads asking people to oppose the move to 1 conductor trains on the red line.

-Ask that drivers on the red line not crawl into North Quincy, JFK/UMass and Park street.

-Ask them why things like this are allowed to happen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64415740@N04/5863957566/

As we've discussed previously in this thread, I'd prefer them to use the labelmaker instead of ordering brand-new maps costing thousands of dollars for trains nearing the end of their life.

As we've discussed previously in this thread, I'd prefer them to use the labelmaker instead of ordering brand-new maps costing thousands of dollars for trains nearing the end of their life.

What about the sharpie marker in between the two labels? Labels alone are better than both labels and sharpies together.

What about the sharpie marker in between the two labels? Labels alone are better than both labels and sharpies together.

I missed the Sharpie on Andrew. I guess I'm so accustomed to seeing Sharpie, it just looked natural lol.

How about the status of the plans to convert the seaport silver line to a trolley.

Back