General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Busiest (and possibly the most unreliable) LR system in the country doesn't benefit from real-time data?

I think he was referring to the busiest (and possibly the most unreliable) LR system in the country doesn't benefit from signal priority.

Speaking of customer service, the 4 is a clusterfail.

Plan: Tomorrow at 6pm to go from downtown to ICA.

Wonder of worlds, the magical 4 bus does just that! And at the time I want too!

But the MBTA.com "view route" feature fails.
And google fails even worse. Some idiot changed the map in the fan pier area and now half the streets are missing.

And the PDF? Impossible to understand.

No wonder nobody rides the 4.

Silver Line to Courthouse... Not hard to do.

Not when it is pouring rain. And youre with a lady,

And it's SL to WTC.

No, it's much easier to use Courthouse. I visit the ICA monthly. WTC is in a terrible location for ICA access. Courthouse dumps you pretty much right on Fan Pier. WTC is geographically closer, but it's much harder to actually get to the other side of the street in that area.

No, it's much easier to use Courthouse. I visit the ICA monthly. WTC is in a terrible location for ICA access. Courthouse dumps you pretty much right on Fan Pier. WTC is geographically closer, but it's much harder to actually get to the other side of the street in that area.

How is it harder?

You do know that there is stair/escalator/elevator access that is open 24 hours between the upper road and the lower road right? Its right where the underpass pedestrian traffic light is.

Courthouse will only be useful when they open all the other missing headhouses.

How is it harder?

You do know that there is stair/escalator/elevator access that is open 24 hours between the upper road and the lower road right? Its right where the underpass pedestrian traffic light is.

Courthouse will only be useful when they open all the other missing headhouses.

Yes I do, but it is far easier to just use courthouse. You're already at grade, on the right side of the street. Why use all those escalators and stairs just to cross the street? I've tried both ways and i've found it to be much quicker. Courthouse even has ICA signage.

WTC is great for, well, accessing the WTC.

Ron, route 4 does a loop, the map only shows half the loop. The bus uses different streets on the way back, and stops by the ICA, the new fan pier building and the courthouse.

The pdf shows one is able to board at aquarium, ride to south station, stay on the bus to design center and then loop back to ICA, during the PM.

True, but I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

True, but I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

I do. Which is why Im trying to use it. Its the only bus that services the ICA.

Isnt that what a bus is for? A way to get you from a-b when its raining?

Another fail. The MBTA trip planner refuses to acknowledge that SL4 stops at Chinatown on its way to South Station. PDF says it does.

Google streetview shows no bus stop, but google trip map does indicate one can board the SL4 at chinatown.

because it's a very long way around that only saves you a few hundred feet of walking, compared to taking the Silver Line to Courthouse.

because it's a very long way around that only saves you a few hundred feet of walking, compared to taking the Silver Line to Courthouse.

Apparently the most complicated route is the one he prefers to get anywhere.

What do you people not understand about strong rain = want to be dropped off by the front door....? I dont see why this is a strange concept.

It turns out that it was NOT raining hard at 7pm, so Silver Line it was.

Thoughts of the day:

-My first edition charlie card was DEAD. Expired. Useless. Luckily, I was heading to DTX anyway so I could save my $4.80. What a way to ripoff millions of dollars in stored value.
-Half the $40,000 fare gates no longer take charlie tickets. What an excellent investment.
-SL did NOT used to move this freaking slow. Used to haul ass through tunnel. Why is it getting the green line treatment? I saw a 10mph sign.
-Puddles puddles everywhere. Ive yet to see a non-MBTA building with leaks like this. Why doesnt the MBTA know how to build a roof? And Im talking about placed like Alewife that are above ground too.

Don't know what you're all talking about but unrelated, while holding signs during election day, I was struck ... not by a Silver Line bus, but by how often they were running down Washington Street and how full they were throughout the day. It really seems to have come together in a way that works for many, many residents / commuters.

Don't know what you're all talking about but unrelated, while holding signs during election day, I was struck ... not by a Silver Line bus, but by how often they were running down Washington Street and how full they were throughout the day. It really seems to have come together in a way that works for many, many residents / commuters.

SL washington have been the two busiest bus routes in the entire system since day 1.

SL waterfront is quickly catching up.

-Half the $40,000 fare gates no longer take charlie tickets. What an excellent investment.

I've noticed this issue growing system-wide. About half of the gates at Harvard now have their ticket slots covered. One or two at GC too.

Are all of these machines malfunctioning or is the T trying to make CharlieCard express lanes essentially? I'd love like actual designated express gates, so you don't end up behind someone sticking their ticket in upside down or into the top slot.

-SL did NOT used to move this freaking slow. Used to haul ass through tunnel. Why is it getting the green line treatment? I saw a 10mph sign.

It's been this way since at least 2009.

2009 was the first time I rode the SL and the tunnel was slow, showing signs of age and crumbling, thus incredibly bumpy, and ponding at various spots (all the time). I don't know what opening day was like, but the tunnel has been in a 20-years-of-wear-and-tear state for at least the past 2, and it opened when? So late in 2004 that we might as well say 2005? So it's 6 years old and it's already en route to hell. Probably some more untested Boston Sand & Gravel cement.

I've noticed this issue growing system-wide. About half of the gates at Harvard now have their ticket slots covered. One or two at GC too.

Are all of these machines malfunctioning or is the T trying to make CharlieCard express lanes essentially? I'd love like actual designated express gates, so you don't end up behind someone sticking their ticket in upside down or into the top slot.

If the MBTA actually cared about "express lanes" they do the "no shit" move of designating some gates as exit only, and some as entrance only.

But they havent in 5 years.

So obviously, the fare gates are breaking.

It's been this way since at least 2009.

2009 was the first time I rode the SL and the tunnel was slow, showing signs of age and crumbling, thus incredibly bumpy, and ponding at various spots (all the time). I don't know what opening day was like, but the tunnel has been in a 20-years-of-wear-and-tear state for at least the past 2, and it opened when? So late in 2004 that we might as well say 2005? So it's 6 years old and it's already en route to hell. Probably some more untested Boston Sand & Gravel cement.

Mob ties. It's like that Simpsons episode where Fat Tony built the ADA ramps at Springfield Elementary out of paper mache and bankrupted the school system. It was Big Dig-era construction, no?

How freaking hard is it to resurface pavement? Get one of those MassHighway expressway scrapers down there to chop a layer off and groove the concrete, then interrupt service on weekends to piecemeal pour a new surface. They are clearly trying to pretend this problem doesn't exist to keep from layering yet another Big Dig contractor fraud on the pile. Might as well come clean that they got taken on the Transitway before the speed restrictions dip to the 10 MPH mark. They already took their medicine on the commuter rail concrete tie settlement. If they're out the warranty on the pavement it can't be any worse than the bath they took this week on the tie settlement.

Back