General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Ya, WTF with those ties? How do they not pursue that. Seems like the easiest case to win ever.

the case for these "ties" never got to court.

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2011/1...e-maker-for/ztTneKuBYNU2boEVFujKBP/story.html
T settles suit with rail tie maker for $6m
Deal is $85m less than what was first sought
By Travis Andersen
| Globe Staff

November 11, 2011

Article
Discuss

Print
Share via e-mail

To

Add a message

Your e-mail
Cancel
Facebook
Twitter

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority has settled its lawsuit against the manufacturer of faulty ties on the Old Colony commuter rail lines for $6 million, far less than the $91.5 million the authority had initially sought for repairs.

According to a settlement agreement reached at the end of last month with Rocla Concrete Tie Inc. of Denver, the company agreed to pay $2 million to the MBTA by Nov. 7, and the remaining $4 million over a period of about four years.

The MBTA has received the first $2 million, a spokeswoman, Lydia Rivera, confirmed last night.

In a written statement, the authority said it still believed that Rocla should have paid the full cost of the repairs.

“While the MBTA believes Rocla should pay these costs, there is no guarantee a court would agree with the MBTA, Rocla could never afford to pay such a large judgment and would surely file for bankruptcy, [and] a trial and appeals would go on for years and be very costly to the MBTA,’’ the statement said.

“This result is in the best interests of the MBTA, its customers, and guarantees the payment of [$6 million] as damages without risking a trial and incurring attorneys’ fees.’’

Lawyers for Rocla did not return messages seeking comment last night.

The authority filed suit against the company in May 2010, after officials first began noticing the failing ties in 2007.

In 2008, the MBTA and the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Co., the contractor that runs the commuter rail system, began regular track inspections and piecemeal replacements of concrete ties, the horizontal supports that hold the metal rails in place.

The problems with the ties were first reported in 2009 by CommonWealth Magazine.

Rivera said in e-mail last night that the tie repairs are “99 percent complete.’’

Rocla marketed the ties with a 50-year lifespan and sold them to the T for $9 million with a 15-year warranty, but several thousand began failing just a decade after the Old Colony commuter lines resumed service in 1997. The MBTA sued the company for negligent misrepresentation, unfair or deceptive trade practices, and breach of warranty.

In a June 2010 court filing, lawyers for the company said the “methods, standards, and techniques Rocla used in designing and manufacturing the concrete railroad ties it supplied to the MBTA conformed to the generally recognized, reasonably available, and reliable state of knowledge in the field at the time that said ties were sold.’’
Travis Andersen can be reached at tandersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.

Mob ties. It's like that Simpsons episode where Fat Tony built the ADA ramps at Springfield Elementary out of paper mache and bankrupted the school system. It was Big Dig-era construction, no?

How freaking hard is it to resurface pavement? Get one of those MassHighway expressway scrapers down there to chop a layer off and groove the concrete, then interrupt service on weekends to piecemeal pour a new surface. They are clearly trying to pretend this problem doesn't exist to keep from layering yet another Big Dig contractor fraud on the pile. Might as well come clean that they got taken on the Transitway before the speed restrictions dip to the 10 MPH mark. They already took their medicine on the commuter rail concrete tie settlement. If they're out the warranty on the pavement it can't be any worse than the bath they took this week on the tie settlement.

Guys -- its a mile and one half trip in the bumpy transitway from South Station to D street (1mi to CourtHouse, then 1/2 mile to World Trade)

My old physics text book says t=d/v lets say that the range in v in a narrow tunnel (bumps or not) is 10 mph (1 mile in 6 min) to 20 mph (1 mile in 3 min)

But T=t+ 2*TL where TL is the loading/unloading time at each stop -- which obviously depends on level of crowding -- typically I've noticed 30 sec when empty to more than 1 min when cheek by cheek -- let's say 1 min

So if you leave SStation at 12:00 noon you get to CourtHouse at 12:03 (20 mph) to 12:06 (10 mph) --- you spend a minute at CourtHouse and leave at 12:04 to 12:07

You arrive World trade at 12:06 to 12:10 after that stop you are ready to proceed out of the tunnel into the light of day at D Street at 12:07 to 12:11

With further delays at Silverlight Way to change to diesel and potentially bigger delays driving on the streets before you enter the TW Tunnel -- you get to Logan at virtually the same time

The bumps in the tunnel cause you to bounce uncomfortably -- but they don't make you late for your plane

On a different thread (I think) someone (Sicilian?) challenged me to find evidence that the SL tunnels were built to specs with a rail conversion in mind. I still haven't been able to find this and it's bothering me quite a bit. Any help?

On a different thread (I think) someone (Sicilian?) challenged me to find evidence that the SL tunnels were built to specs with a rail conversion in mind. I still haven't been able to find this and it's bothering me quite a bit. Any help?

They designed the roadway to fall apart to make digging out the trackbed easier.

But seriously, Courthouse was clearly designed with larger intentions in mind. If it ever does get rail, it will join the ranks of the most beautiful subway stations in the world.

The bumps in the tunnel cause you to bounce uncomfortably -- but they don't make you late for your plane

But its bad press.

Its like having the red line go across the longfellow at 20mph, when cars drive by at 40mph.

Or having the worcester line go along the highway at 45mph when cars are doing 65mph.

It says "transit is slow, drive if you can"

But its bad press.

Its like having the red line go across the longfellow at 20mph, when cars drive by at 40mph.

Or having the worcester line go along the highway at 45mph when cars are doing 65mph.

It says "transit is slow, drive if you can"

Yea -- but I still get a 3-seat ride from Lexington to Logan -- certainly beats the Red to greeen to Blue to Bus to terminal that one used to have to manage -- especially coming home on a winter evening -- standing on the Blue Line platform in the snow and rain waiting

At least these days -- you go outside the terminal and stand usuallly under a roof -- pop on the SL - -then change to the Red line at SS inside and then get to Alewife -- no weather until you get home

There is no weather to be had on the blue line either. Cold, yes, but it's all covered.

There is no weather to be had on the blue line either. Cold, yes, but it's all covered.

Jass -- you are right about the new Airport Station -- which I don't often frequent

but the old Airport while there was an overhang -- you could get wet and snowy when looking in-land waiting for the lights of the train

At most of the terminals the chances of being snowed upon while waiting for the Silver Line are small

I've said this time and time again on here - the Silver Line is far superior to the Blue Line for access to Logan. It drops you off literally at your terminal's doors. The heavy rail connection (Airport, BL) at Logan is absolutely pathetic. It is highly unfortunate that the station isn't closer to the actual complex and isn't linked internally via skybridge.

I've said this time and time again on here - the Silver Line is far superior to the Blue Line for access to Logan. It drops you off literally at your terminal's doors. The heavy rail connection (Airport, BL) at Logan is absolutely pathetic. It is highly unfortunate that the station isn't closer to the actual complex and isn't linked internally via skybridge.

Data that was the original plan -- there was to be central ticketing and bag check at Central Parking and the Blue Line was going to go practically right up to the curbside check point

Of course that was long before 9/11/01 and real security concerns

But mainly it never happened because there was no Mass DOT to coordinate the usual alphabet soup of T, Massport, Turnpike

Since that is history -- what needs to happen in the short run is to make it easy for the SL-1 to get to Logan -- in particular getting local traffic out of the equation:

1) Tunnel under D St. to SL Way
2) Connections to/from the Ted Williams Tunnel to SL-1

I agree that the Silver Line is somewhat more convenient than the Blue Line + shuttle bus. The biggest problem with the Silver Line, even with its ridiculously good frequency, is lack of capacity, especially on the return trip. It's always jammed with just-arrived travelers with all their luggage, and by the time it hits the E terminal it's like a moving sardine can. They should be looking at ways this can upgraded to at least light rail, which, admittedly, will not be easy. If the CA/T planners were competent in the first place, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the insight, whig. That's how I was picturing it could work too. It would be really nice to have Central Parking and the subway connected like that. At what part of Logan's development was this proposed?

I also agree Briv, it gets really miserable by E at high-traffic times. The SL isn't perfect, but it's a great amenity for Logan to have.

What the blue line has over the SL is that there are to blue lin shuttles, one goes to some terminals, one to the other.

Faster, and less crowds.

if Sl1 went to A-B
And Sl2 went to c-e we'd all be better off.

In addition, I think once Massport gets the new shuttle buses (if they haven't already) and when the consolidated car rental facility is open, getting a shuttle bus to the Blue Line will be a better experience for someone going to Boston and/or not needing the Red Line.

As it is, my current travels usually having me going in and out of Terminal E which, as mentioned, can be a bit hellish for getting on the Silver Line. The only good thing is that once you're on, there are no more stops at the airport.

Thanks for the insight, whig. That's how I was picturing it could work too. It would be really nice to have Central Parking and the subway connected like that. At what part of Logan's development was this proposed?

I also agree Briv, it gets really miserable by E at high-traffic times. The SL isn't perfect, but it's a great amenity for Logan to have.

Data-- the discussion about centralized ticketing and connections to the gates in the various terminals through central parking as well as an alternative with a DFW-type people mover preceded the re-building of Terminals A and E and the reconstruction / addition to Central Parking

and if I remember correctly it probably preceded September 2001

The last gasp of those was the People Mover morphed into a trolley somehow connected to the Bus Station at Soth station through the Ted William Tunnel -- then came the Silver Line

As I mentioned earlier -- there was minimal coordination between the Turnpike (owned the tunnels), the T, and Massport -- all had their own incompatible ideas that were launched at the same time

The result is the Silver LIne and the not quite at the Airport -- new Airport Blue Line Station and the strange mix of moving walk connected and non-connected Terrninals:
[E-Central Parking-A-B1-B2];
B2 to C without the moving walk;
C to Central Parking;
no direct C to E except by walking outside or taking the Massport Bus

At this point if I'm Mass DOT -- I put them all {T, Massport, Highway Dept] in one room [with guest viewpoints from BRA and BCEC folks] and say -- give me 2 plans for getting to/from Logan and BCEC & South Station and SPID and within Logan and we'll find the money to fund it:

A) next year or so -- Split SL1 into SL1A -- Terms A/C and SL1B -- Terms B/E + Gerbil Tube from C to E with moving walk and add moving walk from B2 to C

B) in 10 years from now -- somehting definitevely better

In addition, I think once Massport gets the new shuttle buses (if they haven't already) and when the consolidated car rental facility is open, getting a shuttle bus to the Blue Line will be a better experience for someone going to Boston and/or not needing the Red Line.

As it is, my current travels usually having me going in and out of Terminal E which, as mentioned, can be a bit hellish for getting on the Silver Line. The only good thing is that once you're on, there are no more stops at the airport.

Eric -- I second it

Nothing worse after coming back home from a long trip and arriving on the international flight; standing in the long lines with passport and customs; and than standing on the sidewalk outside of E waiting for the SL to show with a computer bag; carry-on bag and my giant checked roll-around -- and then when the SL stops and the doors open cramming into the space between the door and the driver and standing all the way to South Station

The only good thing is that -- there are not many people who will get off before you get to egress and you can swill a D&D coffee in just the time in question

I was on the red line today, heading down to take pictures of the beginning of tonights occupy march.

But that didnt happen. Alewife-South took 55 minutes thank to "standing by" and "waiting for the next platform to clear" over and over again.

Protip MBTA: After sitting in the tunnel for 6 minutes, and then again for 2, and then again for 3, the excuse that the next platform is being used does not fly.

Especially when 100 people board when we finally pull in.

Anyway. So I had time to read the metro, and notice that an "Ask the GM" thing was being held in SS. Perfect.

I asked the following:

To the bus guy "I use nextbus via text message a lot, but can only do it with two stations I know, because stop numbers aren't posted at the stops"

Answer: "We know, we want to do that, but the ADA people won't let us, we'd have to add braile. Huge internal discussion"

Worst excuse ever. The route numbers on the signs do not offer braile.

To the commuter rail guy:
"Yawkey, WTF?"
Answer "Yup, thats shut down for now. Disagreements with CSX about the disruptions caused by moving the track. Itll be single tracked for well over a year. Construction might begin next spring after the ground thaws"

"Worcester to NS, happening?"
Answer: "Lols, theyll study it, but won't give us the money. Won't happen, ever".

To the subway guy:
"Harvard square bathroom is always locked, why?"
Answer: "There have been drug problems, but it should be open anyway. Sounds like a CSA problem. We'll find out why the CSA isn't opening it"

Boston.com
T reports surge in ridership continued in October
11/30/2011 11:54 AM

By Jaime Lutz, Globe Correspondent

Public transit ridership in Boston continued to surge last month, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority said today.

In October, 1.348 million passenger trips were made on average every weekday, up 3.2 percent over the same period the year before, Acting MBTA General Manager Jonathan Davis said in a statement.

October’s numbers fell just short of September’s, when an 1.349 million trips were made on average every weekday -- the highest monthly levels ever.

The September-October ridership figures, combined, were the highest ever recorded for a two-month period by the T, the country’s fifth busiest public transportation system, officials said

Ridership grew on the Red, Orange, and Blue lines, as well as on the system’s bus lines, compared with the same period a year before, officials said. The bus system carried people on an average of 398,500 trips on weekdays. That was the highest level in nearly seven years, Davis said.

Throughout 2011, ridership has been higher than 2010 in 9 out of 10 months, he said.

The MBTA attributes the ridership growth to a rebounding economy and employment levels, as well as new technologies that enable riders to track train and bus locations in real time, Davis said.
Jaime Lutz can be reached at jaime.lutz@globe.com.

Back