General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Urb -- Where is davey's head -- this is fanta$$$tic stuff

The T should do a better production version and take it to one of the Cable Networks

Agreed, if the New York "Sandhogs" can make a go of it, then why not Boston? I never took the time to find out what J. Walsh and crew did b/c he was always busy now I know. Thanks for sharing the link.

Certainly goes to show why those MBTA lottery jobs have such a big churn rate. People come on board thinking easy money, and it isn't. Workers must be very detailed, pay attention to detail, and actually think multiple steps ahead. Above all it is work hard for your money. If the pay drops at the MBTA, we may witness more of those dedicated people go to the private sector.

Has the MBTA temporarily suspended the 77A? I go to my girlfriends' campus somewhat regularly and I've seen a ton of 77s, quite a few 96s, and not a single 77A since the semester started. Maybe it's just coincidence that I'm not on Mass Ave when they're going by and/or when they do, I don't notice. But other semesters I've seen them like all the time.

Has the MBTA temporarily suspended the 77A? I go to my girlfriends' campus somewhat regularly and I've seen a ton of 77s, quite a few 96s, and not a single 77A since the semester started. Maybe it's just coincidence that I'm not on Mass Ave when they're going by and/or when they do, I don't notice. But other semesters I've seen them like all the time.

Its been quite awhile since the 77a was mostly removed.

Now the only 77as are when electrics go to sleep in their north cambridge home.

Is the 57a still running?

They started extending runs from the outer lines to the carhouse soon after the fleet replacement. Same 77A as it always was, just unnumbered with more unpredictable schedules. I've noticed the bunching is consistently really bad on the 71 and 73, and don't know if that's semi-intentional or not with some of those close-spaced pairs being the ones elongated out to North Cambridge.

I don't understand what's up the T's ass about signal priority. Didn't Brookline say they'd even pay the MBTA for 100% of the cost?! What's the deal, is there any reason whatsoever? Must everything have a "study" for years?

Brookline redid all the traffic signals with a grant and considerable amount of town budget. Computer controlled, programmable for traffic flow, and have built in preemption for emergency vehicles. They also replaced all of the T's signal heads with those new white LED ones that have symbols instead of red/yellow/green so drivers don't mistake the trolley signals for left-turn signals. Computers are pre-programmed for transit priority, and the only remaining piece of equipment required is to mount a little sensor on top of the trolley signal pointed at the tracks which can detect the shape of an approaching trolley. If they wanted to do this for buses too they'd mount the exact same sensors over the traffic lanes.

Brookline quoted them the expenses for the sensors. They're like less than a grand apiece, so it was something like $50K for the whole route. And they were incredulous that the T repeatedly refused a meeting with the town traffic dept. to even discuss it, claiming that's "not a priority" and "wouldn't make a difference." Same thing on the E. The city replaced all the signals with the new digital ones out to Brigham like 7 years ago when it streetscaped Huntington, made a big to-do about how that would enable signal priority, and then the T refused to talk to City Hall about activating it.

And yet they promote this as a revolutionary technology on the Silver Line and in this seven-figure key bus routes improvements study (that doesn't require them to actually build anything), and talk about using those exact same Huntington signals the city installed for the 39. But not the E.

You figure that one out. It's politics, or some sort of circling-wagons around internal inefficiency they're protecting (the OT theory bbfen mentioned is depressingly plausible). They've contradicted their own statements too many times for it to be rooted in something empirical. If they could be arsed to act they could phone up the Boston and Brookline traffic depts. today to have them place an order for the sensors, send them the bill, give the towns a couple weeks to install, spend 3 weeks testing it overnight, and have both branches ready to go by Marathon Monday.

For what it's worth, they would only be able to start with the C and E. Comm Ave. still has analog signals past BU Bridge because of a couple much-delayed MassHighway projects to continue the streetscaping work out to Packard's Corner and beyond. Can't do anything about that since the T doesn't own the city lights and you need the digital signals to do controlled preemption.

But make no mistake, the subway would run a TON better with the C and E not getting bunched up even if the B takes several more years. The GL has got the built-in margin of error to accommodate blown branch schedules. Chaos breaks out when all of them are habitually late and start dragging each other (including the D) further out of sync. 2 of 3 prioritized mixed-traffic branches would do wonders to restabilize the subway. Finishing the B is going to be more a boon for the B ride itself than the subway. Underground they've just got to fix enough of the branch schedule reliability to get back inside that safe margin of error.

F-Line for all the valid criticism of wastefull state bureaucrats -- the authorities make them seem like the models of effeciency and effectiveness

The best example when the MDC was dismantled into the MWRA, State Police and the DCR -- the difference in manpower, budgets, etc, for comparable functions between the MDC and all of the successor entities to which its parts would be grafted was amazing

some of the digestion of the MDC is still underway - I would bet that a full consolidation of the T ino the DOT would normally have taken a generation until the Mr. Bulger's Transit Agency mentality dissipated -- fortunately for the taxpayers the $6B debt and structural deficit will force a much more rapid and conceivably more radical restructing

Today on Fox25 -- Mr. Davey mentioned the $3+ figure for the direct cost of carrying each passenger on the subway lines -- that has to come down substantially

Someone should install the sensors without telling the MBTA.

Someone should install the sensors without telling the MBTA.

I'm pretty sure they can't fuck with the trolley signals without full disclosure and approval, as the Surface Transportation Board's going to have a real problem with that. But it would be an interesting legal argument if Boston or Brookline got frustrated enough to force a showdown.

Either way the T comes out looking really bad in this for pooh-poohing a basic frigging conversation with the traffic dept.'s in the two cities. Green Line's a secondary user of traffic signals the municipalities pay for at big expense. There's a bit more obligation here to be a good neighbor.

Plus I bet if you investigated the real cost drain of all the blown schedules (the OT angle and farebox loss from canceled/short-turned/express schedule-salvage runs) they would make up the trivial installation cost of the sensors on the C and E in 1-2 years flat on cost and farebox recovery from the improved schedules alone. That's the truly infuriating part of this that speaks to whigh's point about need for a top-bottom investigation of agency waste and sloth.

That video did very little to sway me to feel pity for the MBTA and/or their failing system.

I work in the construction field and I can recall more bad experience riding the T than good (or I can only remember the bad experiences)… so maybe I am a little bias.

If Safety is their number one concern... the video did little to represent it. I did not see any innovations in safety in regards to construction process or T operations. At one point the T worker described instead of lifting the tie, she was told to flip end over end (that is horrible). An instructor described how it is hard to see people on the track… where is the innovation (are there sensors on the train or on the track, no they have added an extra signal person). I see why the T is losing money, no innovation, inadequate construction processes and methods. I understand this video is just a snapshot into their operations, but they made some poor choices in what they are showing the public.
In construction, you never want to show a video where members of a crew are standing around watching someone else work; even if that moment lasts for a second. When you do that, you open yourself up to questions. Always show crews working and moving.

Then they show us the inefficiency of the “lifting” railway tie machine, more money down the drain.

I wonder what percentage of T revenue is spent on maintenance.

They explained why someone was watching the other person work. It's actually mandated by law.

They explained why someone was watching the other person work. It's actually mandated by law.

I understand flaggers are required... but I thought the guy stated that they added an additional flagger.

Brookline redid all the traffic signals with a grant and considerable amount of town budget. Computer controlled, programmable for traffic flow, and have built in preemption for emergency vehicles. They also replaced all of the T's signal heads with those new white LED ones that have symbols instead of red/yellow/green so drivers don't mistake the trolley signals for left-turn signals. Computers are pre-programmed for transit priority, and the only remaining piece of equipment required is to mount a little sensor on top of the trolley signal pointed at the tracks which can detect the shape of an approaching trolley. If they wanted to do this for buses too they'd mount the exact same sensors over the traffic lanes.

Brookline quoted them the expenses for the sensors. They're like less than a grand apiece, so it was something like $50K for the whole route. And they were incredulous that the T repeatedly refused a meeting with the town traffic dept. to even discuss it, claiming that's "not a priority" and "wouldn't make a difference." Same thing on the E. The city replaced all the signals with the new digital ones out to Brigham like 7 years ago when it streetscaped Huntington, made a big to-do about how that would enable signal priority, and then the T refused to talk to City Hall about activating it.

And yet they promote this as a revolutionary technology on the Silver Line and in this seven-figure key bus routes improvements study (that doesn't require them to actually build anything), and talk about using those exact same Huntington signals the city installed for the 39. But not the E.

You figure that one out. It's politics, or some sort of circling-wagons around internal inefficiency they're protecting (the OT theory bbfen mentioned is depressingly plausible). They've contradicted their own statements too many times for it to be rooted in something empirical. If they could be arsed to act they could phone up the Boston and Brookline traffic depts. today to have them place an order for the sensors, send them the bill, give the towns a couple weeks to install, spend 3 weeks testing it overnight, and have both branches ready to go by Marathon Monday.

For what it's worth, they would only be able to start with the C and E. Comm Ave. still has analog signals past BU Bridge because of a couple much-delayed MassHighway projects to continue the streetscaping work out to Packard's Corner and beyond. Can't do anything about that since the T doesn't own the city lights and you need the digital signals to do controlled preemption.

But make no mistake, the subway would run a TON better with the C and E not getting bunched up even if the B takes several more years. The GL has got the built-in margin of error to accommodate blown branch schedules. Chaos breaks out when all of them are habitually late and start dragging each other (including the D) further out of sync. 2 of 3 prioritized mixed-traffic branches would do wonders to restabilize the subway. Finishing the B is going to be more a boon for the B ride itself than the subway. Underground they've just got to fix enough of the branch schedule reliability to get back inside that safe margin of error.

This would be the basis for a very compelling op-ed in either the Globe or the Herald. These facts need to be publicized.

This would be the basis for a very compelling op-ed in either the Globe or the Herald. These facts need to be publicized.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar..._lights_but_t_isnt_along_for_the_ride/?page=1

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...g_how_to_speed.html?p1=HP_Well_YourTown_links

Brookline's already taken its case to the press a few times. Nice passive-aggressive response from the agency the first time around. Slightly less so but more generic blah blah from Pesaturo the second time around. Zilch has happened in the last year since they sent the letter of intent.

BTW...this is what the T spent to "study" the exact same thing on the #1 bus: http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/5_meetings_and_events/2_past/2010/080510_TPPC_Materials.pdf. They're doing the same on all the other priority bus routes including town meetings held in Brookline a year ago about doing it on the 66, which was pretty ballsy of them. They'll probably spend 5 times as much "studying" it with no obligations to install a single sensor anywhere than they could installing it today on the C and E.

I don't see any minutes online from that 66 presentation about a year ago, but it came a few weeks after the town passed the non-binding resolution making it a top town priority (now listed on the town manager's website as a key initiative) to get the T to the table on C signal priority. I'm sure that 66 meeting got derailed on a tangent about the C, since the residents care a lot more about Beacon and the C than all other routes.

(As an aside, do we even know if the signal priority is fully working on the Silver Line? The T got slammed by an internal review a while back because it still wasn't activated 3 years after Washington St. service was initiated. I have no idea how much longer it took them after that, or if it's yet 100% functional over 9 years later.)

Between signal prioritization on the C and E, and closing stations like Allston/Babcock/St. Paul on the B, we'd be at least a little closer to a more functional Green Line.

Next stop: revamping the entire rolling stock.

Between signal prioritization on the C and E, and closing stations like Allston/Babcock/St. Paul on the B, we'd be at least a little closer to a more functional Green Line.

Next stop: revamping the entire rolling stock.

Oh hell, take revamping the rolling stock off the table.

If the T would simply enact signal priority for the Huntington Ave and Beacon St lines (even if that means some short turns at Gov't Ctr and Kenmore, respectively), that would drastically INCREASE service efficiency and reliability.

Even figuring in breakdowns from aging stock, I bet signal priority would buy the T another 5-7 years of public "patience" with their issues.

I wish I could take credit for this list but I can't.

The 31 People You Meet in Hell, or Riding the Subway

1. The Incher Upper: This is the kind of person who when you are standing by the door inches up to your face and even steps on your toes because the next stop is theirs and they want to be ready to bolt out the door. I mean, back the fuck up. You will get off the train, I will move to let you out, just get yourself off of me. They usually start doing this when the train isn't even nearly at the stop yet, and inch closer and closer so when the doors finally open if you let them they will be kissing your chin.

2. The Rustler: This person could become an Incher Upper and generally acts at the same time. This person will be sitting down and as the train begins to move again is already jumping up and pushing through all of the people, stepping on anything and everything like their life depends on getting to the door all while the train is moving. Motion on the train usually means their steps will be misguided and 99% of the time land on your well polished shoes. Once they get near the door, the may evolve into the Incher Upper.

3. The Backpacker: This is the person that occupies as much space as three people with their giant backpack. They generally stand and are usually reading something and are totally unaware people are trying to get by their enormous backpack. They will usually turn at some point knocking into people giving them dirty looks for not minding their books behind them. When the Backpacker happens to be a Rustler and later evolve into an Incher Upper you will want to die. Hope that you are not holding coffee. I have noticed this person to generally be late teens to early 30's, be either some sort of pseudo-intellectual, European, a person with asperger's, or (and also not as offending) child going to school. I mean I am against anybody wearing a backpack who is out of high school, or unless they are hiking or something, but let us not make this into a "style" conversation. The Backpacker tends to also show up at very crowded bars with the same cluelessness that everybody hates them.

4. The Pole Dancer: This is the dickweed that hugs, or leans on the pole rendering it unusable for support by anybody else on the train. This is pure self-centered behavior and a lack of respect for fellow passengers. If I could get away with it I would kick them in the face. I mean, I should suffer not having anything to hold onto so this lazy, disrespectful prick can lean on the pole? I don't think so. I generally grab the pole and dig my knuckles right into them. Works every time. They move immediately.

5. The Delta Crasher: This is the person who stands right at the door, however doesn't either step off of the train, or move to let people on or off. Another disrespectful asshole. I would kick them in the back, or chest if I could get away with it, however if trying to funnel past them is way too difficult because of the amount of people I plow right through them. Fuck em'. When there are two of them on both sides the double clothesline works best. I must admit going to work I try my best to stand by the door, only because my hands are full and I cannot hold onto anything. If I can hold onto a pole I don't stand near the door. Also, I step off the train to let people on and off because I am such a nice person. I hate the people who see that you are struggling because you have no free hands, yet stand leaning against the door with their arms folded looking at you. They are the Delta Crashers of the worst kind.

6. The Dasher: This is the person that no matter how many people are on the train, or where they are standing if they see a seat open up they dash for it stepping on animals, children, old people and anything to get that seat. My girlfriend notes that she usually sees older Chinese men being Dashers. It is a broad generalization, however she is not the one to make these kinds of generalizations normally, so I cannot confirm or deny.

7. The Sneaker: This is the person that comes into your subway car from the car either in front or behind while the train is moving. You are not supposed to do this, it is dangerous and pointless. When the train stops just switch cars. I have also noticed that this person is usually black for some reason.

8. The Walker: This is the person that while the train is moving decides that they don't like where they are standing so they will weave and push their way to the other side of the train. There is rarely a clear reason for this. If they think the exit to the platform is closer to one side, just walk on the platform rather than inconveniencing people on the train. This person sometimes is also a Sneaker.

9. The Lazy Biker: This is the person who occupies a ton of space with their bicycle. I mean ride your fucking bicycle and get off the subway.

10. Supermom: This can either be a man, or a woman, or a couple. They have a stroller and take up all of this room and look at you like you are supposed to see to their every subway whim because they have a stroller, and one or two other children. The kids are generally crazy, eratic stepping is a hazard for the shoes and they are loud. I mean, I should suffer because you had a bunch of kids? I also love it when they can't control any of the kids. I feel like saying to them, "why don't you have a few more?"

See here for the rest of the list:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/275016/...nsportation-etiquette-the-people-we-encounter

Oh hell, take revamping the rolling stock off the table.

If the T would simply enact signal priority for the Huntington Ave and Beacon St lines (even if that means some short turns at Gov't Ctr and Kenmore, respectively), that would drastically INCREASE service efficiency and reliability.

Even figuring in breakdowns from aging stock, I bet signal priority would buy the T another 5-7 years of public "patience" with their issues.

I definitely agree. Signal priority would help TREMENDOUSLY. There comes a point where all of that deferred maintenance doesn't make sense to actually perform. And the more they defer the greater the need to renew the fleet becomes.

Trust me, though, I'll be terribly sad once all of the 7s are gone.

On another note, anyone happen to be on the Green Line around 7:30-8am today? It was an absolute disaster. First a medical emergency at BU Central for me: easily a 10 minute hold up. Next, a disabled train at Hynes: easily another 3-5 minutes. And I can't even imagine what those two instances alone did to the entire morning rush.

You know what would eliminate the need for special traffic lights, signal priority, etc.? Burying the C line to Summit Avenue, the B to Warren Street and the E the whole way down the line.

Of course this will never happen. Instead I will have to enjoy waiting at Coolidge Corner for an inbound train that I can see at Summit Ave, only to have it take 10 minutes just to go one stop thanks to all the lights.

You know what would eliminate the need for special traffic lights, signal priority, etc.? Burying the C line to Summit Avenue, the B to Warren Street and the E the whole way down the line.

Of course this will never happen. Instead I will have to enjoy waiting at Coolidge Corner for an inbound train that I can see at Summit Ave, only to have it take 10 minutes just to go one stop thanks to all the lights.

But this is exactly why signal priority should, well.... take priority. The goal should be to move the maximum amount of people in any one direction, not the maximum amount of motor vehicles.

Another solution are gondolas. No tunnels or signals needed.

Back