General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

If they would just give me that personal jet pack I was promised....

Woah. Woah. Woah. Just stepped into an Orange Line car and it is BRIGHT! I don't know if they replaced all the lights with LEDs or what but holy shit what a difference it makes.

Woah. Woah. Woah. Just stepped into an Orange Line car and it is BRIGHT! I don't know if they replaced all the lights with LEDs or what but holy shit what a difference it makes.

Did it have a new floor too?

No, it was the old patchwork faux wood-grain linoleum.

No, it was the old patchwork faux wood-grain linoleum.

Interesting. They're expanding beyond their prototype rehab cars.

I'm curious to see what a bright OL car looks like.

Underground, it was like standing in the car on a bright, sunny day. It was almost surreal.

New lighting in Orange Line cars? It's that the equivalent of new urine cakes in a filthy restroom?

More or less, but the difference was noticeable.

New lighting in Orange Line cars? It's that the equivalent of new urine cakes in a filthy restroom?

Lurk -- its almost like replacing the old trough at Fenway with an automated waterless facility and a package of automated soap dispenser, automated sink and Dyson Blade hand dryer

But unfortunately, the rest of the surroundings are still the same

Lurk -- its almost like replacing the old trough at Fenway with an automated waterless facility and a package of automated soap dispenser, automated sink and Dyson Blade hand dryer

But unfortunately, the rest of the surroundings are still the same

Yes, but now you can see the stains of mysterious origin on the seats.

One of the Red Line cars interior seemed brighter and shinier than usual the other day. My first thought was LED lights as well, but I don't know for sure.

One of the Red Line cars interior seemed brighter and shinier than usual the other day. My first thought was LED lights as well, but I don't know for sure.

Was it an 01700? 01700s are going through a mini overhaul, including lighting.

http://www.cambooth.net/archives/850

I like these 'cleanup' concepts of the T system map. Key bus routes look less like a spaghetti mess, the Silver Line has been properly demoted with thin lines and directional running, and I like how it explicitly marks the B/C/D in walking distance at Chestnut Hill Ave. and Bowdoin's limited hours.

Don't think it would work in rectangular format because there's too many station frames that are square, but as the guy notes it's adaptable for that footprint if every surface stop isn't spelled out. Huge readability improvement overall, and somehow manages to convey more information without so much of the visual clutter of the official map.

Love this guy's work/blog. I think this really is a great improvement.

I wish the other out-of-system connections could be clarified too - for example, Mass Ave and Symphony, Dean Road and Beaconsfield... Not sure if all of these would be possible to illustrate but I do think they're helpful for wayfinding on the map.

Wait, I thought the Silver Line was "just like a train"?

Hubway will be shrinking for a week. Looks like some excellent planning going on here, with lots of advance notice.

HEADS UP FOLKS!!! 2 Stations will be down due to the upcoming 116th BAA Boston Marathon (Monday). Our "BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY" and "BOYLSTON/BERKELEY" Hubway stations will be down TODAY through the 19th. Plan to have those stations OFF the street and 100% OFF THE GRID starting TODAY and returning on the 19th. Please spread the word. We've also posted this on Twitter. Any ReTweeting (RT) you could do would be helpful. Thanks for your love & support.
https://www.facebook.com/Hubway

with lots of advance notice.

They've been saying it for about a week, I think. At least on Twitter they have been.

They might as well have waited to put those stations out at all, though.

Back