General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I'd say I'm guy who believes in both progressive public works and market-allocation mechanisms.

I think we're in the same boat then.

Back to the MBTA, we (as a state) should only shower capital projects on communities interested in actually growing, housing and employing (e.g. Assembly Square) not just swimming in piles of other people's money (Hingham/Greenbush). So these plans for GLX Somerville: how tall are the new buildings?

I hesitate to simply demand height, because, it has been shown time and time again that NIMBYs can extract horrible setback requirements in exchange for height. A tower in the park is a worse outcome for both street life and density than low-rise full-lot coverage buildings.

I have reservations about Assembly Square because the developer planning it is going to add something like 10,000 parking spaces in garages. They own the land, if that's what they want to do, fine, but, I don't think it's a good model.

Back to the MBTA, we (as a state) should only shower capital projects on communities interested in actually growing, housing and employing (e.g. Assembly Square) not just swimming in piles of other people's money (Hingham/Greenbush).

By this measure we should fast track South Coast Rail as New Bedford, Fall River and Taunton are desperate to grow housing and employment would do just about anything to make it happen.

I am sure some of you may have seen this, but I was on the C line last night for the first time not during rush hour and the conductor made announcements that only the front door would be opening for entering/exiting. He mentioned the MBTA has a new policy that during rush hour on the surface level, this would be the situation.

Yeah, it's been in place for a month or so. Pretty annoying.

I am sure some of you may have seen this, but I was on the C line last night for the first time not during rush hour and the conductor made announcements that only the front door would be opening for entering/exiting. He mentioned the MBTA has a new policy that during rush hour on the surface level, this would be the situation.

Yes, I've seen this haphazardly enforced on random occasions though never during rush hour. I think this conductor was grossly misinformed of the policy. From every source I've read (including here), it is only in effect during non-peak hours and weekends; all doors should be available for exiting between 6:30-9:30AM and 3:30-7PM.

That said, it is an utterly senseless policy. You're inconveniencing 99% of riders for the 1% that want to skip out on paying. Considering a huge majority of riders have passes and originate/terminate at a downtown station with fare controls, there can't be that much fare evasion. I would guess this policy won't last too long. You don't have 100% enforcement from conductors as it is.

We're back to the question of what "existing problem" is trying to be solved and who should pay to solve it.....

We're being asked to solve an air quality problem. If you could solve it with a big gas-sequestration-and-burial plant for $1, we should do that, declare victory, and live with no new transit passengers at all. Sorry.

Taking a passenger off a bus and putting them on a train does not lower their impact on air quality. It makes them less grumpy, but not less gassy.....

The GLX expects (roughly) 30,000 daily users, of which 10,000 are new and 20,000 are stolen from buses (most of which will still be plying the streets). While the 20k are huge political supporters, what's the air quality justification of giving them any weight at all?

Arlington -- even if there were any measureable benefit on a global sense froom "gas-sequestration-and-burial plant for $1" -- we shouldn't do it -- its a totally wasted $

What the CLF was suing over was local air quality i.e. Smog forming emissions -- unfortunately for the die-hard anti-car folks -- cars got so much cleaner in the past two decades that even the dirtiest on the road today could scarely be measured with the technology available when the Clean Air Act was passed or the Big Dig mitigation agreement wasnt was signed.

The same thing is happening (somewhat slower) with the efficeincy of the computer controlled internal combustion engine -- its now almost as effecient as the early generation hybrids and its a lot simpler and more reliable, without a whole bunch of heavy batteries

Unfortuately, good intensions and government regulations don't necessarily translate into good public policy mostly due to the disconect between the reguators and the marketplace

No, the only legitimate justification for the GLX is does it improve the transportation in the region (both local and on a larger scale) sufficient to justify the expense of its construction an operations.

Possible justifications for the construction of the GLX would be:
1) supporting infrastucture for the redevelopment of the lower utilzation former industrial properties in its ("drainage region") into residential
2) reduction in traffic at rush hour on the local roads or increased useage of the overall transportation corridor without worsening of the traffic
3) improved connectivity relative to a bus (the "one seat ride") or improved frequency of service leading to increased useage
4) improved overall performance and resilance of the system through redundent routings

That's about it -- if the GLX project doesn't meet the above -- it is hard to justify it -- especially in the current tight financial climate

Here's my propsed criteria for awarding new transit projects: While the state will use a New $ / New Rider calculation, towns will be credited with 1 rider worth of ridership for every constructed-but-vacant housing unit and 2 for each unbuilt, allowed-by-right housing unit right within a 1/4 mile walk of the proposed facility.

As a state we need to be encouraging:
1) Transit use
2) More housing near transit
3) More home construction

Frankly, Somerville has viewed the GLX mostly as a windfall / lifestyle-improver for current inhabitants of current housing units.

Compare this with Arlington VA which added something like 50,000 new housing units when WMATA's Orange Line came to town--adding construction jobs and keeping housing prices moderate and giving a dynamic workforce a place to live. They did it in a kind of 12 story (1 block diameter around the station) 4 story (2nd block), 3story-garden (3rd block) "taper" that meant that by the time you were 4 blocks away, the neighborhoods were unchanged, but at the dense cores you got the kind of *real* economic devleopment that $1b of transit should stimulate.

Construction jobs (buliding Kendall Sq or Alewife-style), and offices for businesses and housing for wage-earners..Now THAT's why people far from the GLX should want to pay for it.

Lining the pockets of the landlords of a handful of three-flats and a few shabby two-storey buildngs? (the Davis Sq, story, really) is not the kind of local response the State should be looking for.

Arlington -- Arlington Virginaia is a "Ward of the State" writ large -- we are the state -- the entire VA bank of the Patomac is there only because of the immense growith of the Federal Bureaucracy -- if you compare aerial views of that area over the past 50 years -- it goes from
a) just the Pentagon
b) to Pentagon City
c) to a Federal City with a Pentagon in its midst

85% of the workers in that entire region are either Federal employees, contract employees, beltway bandit employees, employees of major contractors, or employees of local companies providing support to the rest of the list-- the remainder work for local government

Peter T. Hansen
Representative NH House
SO! You want Commuter Rail?
Posted on June 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm
Email Print 60 Comments

Upload Photos and Videos
In the event you were too busy to catch the latest on commuter rail, know this.

MBTA that would be the commuter rail system in MA is in deep debt AND according to news reports the rail line is subsidized to the tune of 1 Billion dollars per year. Thats Billion with a B!

If you're a liberal and your wish is to support commuter rail please answer this question. How much education, support for the poor, aid to dependent children, aid for the severlly handicapped, aid to education, additional firemen, additional police, additional teachers do you suppose 1 billion dollars would buy?

If commuter rail will not work in MA it cannot work in NH. Factually it is not working -defined as breakeven or profitable- anywhere in the U.S. Your legislature this year reduced the state budget by 1 billion dollars, actually a bit less, and the citicism from the left reached a groundswell. If you can't accept a 1 billion dollar savings to balance a budget how can you accept a 1 billion dollar handout to commuter rail.
http://nashua.patch.com/blog_posts/so-you-want-commuter-rail

Regarding the on-board surcharge --

T management has listened to the relentless negative feedback.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/rail/

A $3 surcharge will be added to tickets purchased on-board all trains departing from North, South and Back Bay Stations.

Then I guess highways aren't "working" either.

Also, let's completely disregard the fact that this country has been systematically oriented around the car so that nothing can compete. Maybe eventually rail would be able to compete if we, I don't know... maybe stopped subsidizing everything, including every mode of travel, home mortgages, infrastructure, etc.

I hope Peter is only talking about extending the commuter rail into NH because if he can't see the economic benefits the commuter rail brings in MA, then he shouldn't be a representative.

Oh, and if you check out his other blog posts... WHAT A NUTCASE!

THIS is a representative of NH?!

Peter T. Hansen
Representative NH House
ICLEI UN Agenda 21 And You
Posted on June 14, 2012 at 10:07 am
It's time for all of us to learn and understand just what UN Agenda 21 will mean to us if it is allowed to continue its infestation of our towns, cities, states and government. If you, as I was, are a doubter, doubt no more. When you see the Nashua Planning Commission adopt policies or recommend policies directly attributable to ICLEI, when you read that our beloved EPA is considering mandating control over ditches, YES ditches, as part of the "inland waterways" then you know there is something to fear.
If you are a landowner especially a large land owner who thinks your protected from "the government" by mere possession of that land and indeed if you espouse the work of all our conservation organizations best rethink your thoughts. While extraordinarily too complicated to detail here I urge you to look into the movement as if left to fester it will impact you dearly and severely. Just one point in the program, it will have us ALL living in vertical (read apartment buildings) communities with absolutely no access to any public lands.
Certainly this will not happen over night but it is creeping ever so slowly and resolutely into our government at all levels. So much so that Alabama has passed legislation forbidding it. NH tried this year but our senate wouldn't open its eyes to the threat.

Agenda 21 merely talks about encouraging TOD or smartgrowth.

Also, a look into him hints that he's all about "liberty" but he voted against marijuana/medical marijuana in NH. Just another scumbag neo-con who can't think outside of FOX news.

Last edited:

In addition to his terrible grammar, Alabama is definitely not the precedent to follow as far as smart development. What an idiot.

Wow. I'm kind of left speechless by the fact that he actually helps craft legislation in a US State.

Regarding the on-board surcharge --

T management has listened to the relentless negative feedback.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/rail/

A $3 surcharge will be added to tickets purchased on-board all trains departing from North, South and Back Bay Stations.

Also: "* Monday through Friday customers will be charged $3 surcharge by the conductor when a ticket is purchased on board from a station with a MBTA ticket vending machine or where a Ticket Vendor is open."

Leaving open the question of how close a ticket vendor needs to be to a station in order for this provision to apply.

Plus, instead of reprogramming the machines to sell Zone 9 and 10 tickets, the T is just going to not surcharge them if bought on the train. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I hope Peter is only talking about extending the commuter rail into NH because if he can't see the economic benefits the commuter rail brings in MA, then he shouldn't be a representative.

Unfortunately, I'd estimate that half or more of state level legislators are mentally unqualified for the task. The numbers are only slightly better at the Federal level.

Unfortunately, I'd estimate that half or more of state level legislators are mentally unqualified for the task. The numbers are only slightly better at the Federal level.

What do you expect...it's a 424-seat state House, largest in the country, for only 1.3 million people with extreme district-to-district population skews. It's absurdly easy in some districts to get elected, often very inexpensive, and the turnover rate for seats is bipolar election year to election year. So a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands can through sheer persistence outlast the field and find themselves in a seat. And who's best equipped to outlast their way into political leverage but That Ranting Off-Topic Person who draws eyerolls at every town board meeting. Catch a year like 2010 where the voters are fidgety and irritable and the insanity can come in floods.

The "Citizen's Legislature", as it were. In many ways refreshing juxtaposed against big moneyed interests, but has the drawback of being this bipolar. New Hampshire's got a lot of problems, but the feces-throwing from this particular Legislative term is merely a leading indicator of some deep-running denial about the state's sustainability. Commuter rail's been sucked into that vortex, but it's still a footnote in comparison to the cognitive dissonance over I-93 and what that is doing to the state's budget, plus the notion that they can bottomless tax-break their way into limitless business growth. They have much more serious structural problems than the rest of New England does in this economy.

Unfortunately gonna get way worse before it gets better, and MA/ME/VT are probably gonna have to take steps to firewall themselves to keep the damage from spreading across the border. I still think CR to the border is going to happen by or before 2020 and Nashua has a decent chance of making it happen by going rogue if it stays on this course of seeking public-private partnerships and cooperation with the other side of the border. But that extension's not all that controversial...North Chelmsford/Tyngsboro need it, it eases the crunch at Lowell, the ROI is just about the largest of any CR extension proposal, and the associated freight upgrades (286,000 lb. car weight limits to Nashua interchange, dovetailing with the Patriot Corridor improvements that flush a lot heavier and more lucrative freight traffic on the Ayer-Lawrence stretch of the Pan Am main) are very high-return. Yeah, no brainer. Richard Davey's on-record saying this is one he's bullish about pursuing soon even with the T's debt issues. And also if you also consider how far below true capacity the Lowell Line is operating because of constraints imposed by far obsolete signals and speed, any reasonable justification to fund improvements on the whole line to get it just up to the spec of some of the fresher-modernized southside lines can raise the ridership 15, 20, 25% in span of a few years. For a line that hits the 3rd largest terminal city on the system, has a huge 128-oriented transit center, hosts Amtrak, and hits some very dense inner suburbs it's got an anemic daily schedule that really depresses the ridership. It's like a less-publicized Worcester Line in terms of hand-wringing about schedule being insufficient for demand. In terms of ridership the CR system should be Providence, Worcester, Lowell(/Nashua)...and everything else small-potatoes by comparison. It's not...only Providence is even close to firing on all cylinders service level-vs.-demand wise.

So, yes, in spite of New Hampshire there's some reason to be optimistic about this one's prospects in an era where there's not a whole lot of optimism about this one hot mess of a transit system. But emphasis on the in spite of as far as MA and the semi-autonomous breakaway Republic of Nashua are concerned.

Also: "* Monday through Friday customers will be charged $3 surcharge by the conductor when a ticket is purchased on board from a station with a MBTA ticket vending machine or where a Ticket Vendor is open."

Leaving open the question of how close a ticket vendor needs to be to a station in order for this provision to apply.

Plus, instead of reprogramming the machines to sell Zone 9 and 10 tickets, the T is just going to not surcharge them if bought on the train. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

This sounds a lot like their front door policy on the Green Line: easy for conductors to skimp on enforcing.

Interestingly enough, just read that MBTA’s Green Line back-door ban fuels ridership increase... not sure why they want to boil it down to the front door only policy when that is only in effect outside of peak hours... aka not when the vast majority of people are riding.

And talk about horrifically poor decision making with respect to the commuter rail surcharges. All of that money wasted on printing signage and notices that are obsolete.

There's no excuse for not buying a ticket at a FVM in a major transit hub. I even do it as fast as humanly possible when I have minutes to catch a train. Hopefully they enforce this consistently.

Interestingly enough, just read that MBTA’s Green Line back-door ban fuels ridership increase... not sure why they want to boil it down to the front door only policy when that is only in effect outside of peak hours... aka not when the vast majority of people are riding.

While clearly not responsible for all that 9% lift I bet they have the tools (and incentive) to show the policy works.

I think the e-fareboxes can tell them *when* (the time of day) all "new" (i.e newly-fareboxed) boardings occurred. They may be seeing extra growth at times the policy is in effect, and even at other times, they may be seeing a switch from cash to Card and from Card to Pass.

Both the new ridership during the front-door time and the payment-method shift can show that the new policy may have made the hit-or-miss "fare beating discount"s unattractive.

Depending on your ridership pattern, paying cash only when you're "caught" can be a bargain compared to carrying/using a Charlie Card.

Similarly paying by Charlie Card is better than a monthly pass if you aren't quite a daily commuter and you can exceed (even the) Card discount every once in a while by sneaking in the back door.

As your certainty of paying the fare goes up, it need not go to 100% to encourage you to adopt "more formal" discount programs. That's (probably) what's being measured.

Last edited:

Back