General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Does anyone think Davey will get the GLX back on track now that he's in this position?

Richard Davey as Transportation Secretary=Doomed...Mother fucking doomed...Seriously, he will run MassDOT right into the ground...He has never had any backbone in my opinion...spineless is a nice way of describing him

Just saw this and thought to myself: where the MBTA would be with a fraction of that $147.6 billion surplus MA put into federal coffers and didn't get back?

Just saw this and thought to myself: where the MBTA would be with a fraction of that $147.6 billion surplus MA put into federal coffers and didn't get back?

Loved this comment:

"Look at how all the "liberal" states are in the black with the exception of Oregon and the "conservative" ones are in the red, with the exceptions of Texas and Nebraska. I'm tired of Republicans mooching off of all of the hard work we do in the cities so they can build 12 lane highways in the middle of nowhere."

If the T got 5%, it would be seeing 7.38 billion. Enough to pay off the debt, or pretty close, and perhaps with some better appropriated funding from Beacon Hill, it could turn itself into a much more sustainable and world-class transit agency.

Did anyone else enjoy the nice power outage by Charles.MGH this morning on the red line?

Loved this comment:

"Look at how all the "liberal" states are in the black with the exception of Oregon and the "conservative" ones are in the red, with the exceptions of Texas and Nebraska. I'm tired of Republicans mooching off of all of the hard work we do in the cities so they can build 12 lane highways in the middle of nowhere."

If the T got 5%, it would be seeing 7.38 billion. Enough to pay off the debt, or pretty close, and perhaps with some better appropriated funding from Beacon Hill, it could turn itself into a much more sustainable and world-class transit agency.

I laughed. Road improvements (mysteriously) somehow apparently don't qualify as Big Gov'mnt interference.

I'm reminded of what Aaron Sorkin --- often brilliant and just as often a bleating, boring, bleeding-heart liberal --- wrote in his final season working on The West Wing, as part of a debate between incumbent President Bartlet and the Republican candidate for president (a rather transparent charicature of the "Crime. Boy, I don't know," brush-clearing Shrub):

"There are times when we're fifty states and there are times when we're one country, and have national needs. And the way I know this is that Florida didn't fight Germany in World War II or establish civil rights. You think states should do the governing wall-to-wall. That's a perfectly valid opinion. But your state of Florida got $12.6 billion in federal money last year - from Nebraskans, and Virginians, and New Yorkers, and Alaskans, with their Eskimo poetry. $12.6 out of a state budget of $50 billion. I'm supposed to be using this time for a question, so here it is: Can we have it back, please?"

Game on.

Loved this comment:

I think there is a real problem with the data

I took the time to type the first two collums into a spread sheet -- if the following makes sense to you -- I think we've got a big problem

Sum of collumn 1 (Fed tax 1990-2009) = 36323B$ = 36T$
Sum of collumn 2 (Fed spendig 1990 -2009) = 35497B$ = 35T$
Sum of the differerence (i.e. the deficit per year) = difference of the Sum = 826B$ -- essentially balanced

so if there had been 0B$ debt in 1990 the debt in 2009 would be $826B$

But the debt in 2009 was many many T$ so something is amiss!

From the Big Surprise Dept.

Trolley comeback killed by court
August 26, 2011
By John Ruch

Green Line trolleys won’t be running through central Jamaica Plain anytime soon—if ever—since a court quietly tossed out a lawsuit seeking their return in January, the Gazette has learned.

The end of the local Arborway Committee’s lawsuit finishes a trolley controversy that once consumed JP. But debate may linger in plans for the Arborway Yard bus facility, where the Arborway Committee still wants space reserved for trolley storage in case public opinion swings toward trolleys again. That land is slated to go for community-approved redevelopment.

The lawsuit’s end “makes the restoration of the Arborway streetcars much more difficult, but still not impossible or improbable,” said Arborway Committee chair Tobias Johnson. “We recognize at this point it’s a much longer-term process.”

Green Line trolleys, or streetcars, ran for a century on rails down S. Huntington Avenue and Centre and South streets between Heath Street and Forest Hills. In 1985, the MBTA “temporarily” suspended the service at Heath Street for maintenance reasons. The Route 39 bus acted as replacement service.

A previous lawsuit required trolley restoration by 1997 as an environmental mitigation for increased car pollution from the Big Dig. Planning happened fitfully in the 1990s and early 2000s as the deadline was missed.

Public opinion at first was largely pro-trolley, but split over the years into heated controversy. Critics, including Mayor Thomas Menino, said trolleys would block traffic and emergency vehicles, and would endanger bicyclists and pedestrians. Supporters called that fear-mongering and said trolleys would be cleaner, faster and more convenient than buses.

Meanwhile, the state kept trying to get out of trolley restoration and finally succeeded by rewriting an environmental regulation in 2006. Instead, it began planning Route 39 bus improvements, and the city paved over the old trolley tracks.

The Arborway Committee filed suit over that move in 2007, alleging it violated a contract—the original legal agreement requiring trolley restoration. But there is a three-year time limit on filing that kind of lawsuit. In 2009, a court ruled that if there was any contract violation—a point left undecided—it happened when the original deadline was missed in 1997, so the Arborway Committee was suing too late. An appeals court affirmed that decision in January.

“We have decided not to appeal” the decision any further, Johnson said. In the short term, he said, he mourns the loss of JP trolleys as “the definition of disinvestment” in public transit.

The only regional light rail project planned for the next 25 years, he noted, is a Green Line extension to Somerville, which was also required by the same Big Dig agreement.

But long-term, he said, the Arborway Committee still hopes for trolley restoration under different leaders and public pressure for alternative transportation.

“We know the mayor will not be the mayor forever,” said Johnson. “We just don’t have a mayor in Boston who supports public transit.”

“We hope the city and state will eventually see the light,” he added. “The future can only get better.”

For that reason, Johnson said, the Arborway Committee wants trolleys to remain part of the plan for the Arborway Yard, the long-delayed bus facility at Washington Street and the Arborway. If that plan gets federal funding this year, about 8 acres of the site will go for community-approved redevelopment.

The plan also includes eight-tenths of an acre set aside for trolley parking in the event of restoration. Otherwise, that land will be added to the community redevelopment area for a total of nearly 9 acres, according to MBTA spokesperson Joe Pesaturo.

“We do want that land reserved for streetcars,” even though the lawsuit is finished, Johnson said.

“I understand his viewpoint,” said Henry Allen, chair of the Community Planning Committee for the Arborway Yard, a resident group advising the MBTA on the bus facility. But, Allen added in an email to the Gazette, the legal agreement for the bus facility plan says that “once all legal avenues seeking to restore trolley service had been exhausted, then the land reserved for the trolleys would revert to the City for community redevelopment.”

Johnson said the Arborway Committee will continue general public transit advocacy, with members serving on the current Casey Overpass replacement advisory group and the former Route 39 improvement advisory group. The Arborway Committee is also keeping an eye on possible MBTA attempts to reduce or kill Green Line service further between Brigham Circle and Heath Street, he said.

"Public opinion at first was largely pro-trolley, but split over the years into heated controversy."

I wonder if the GLX will have the same fate. Meanwhile, billions pour onward towards faraway commuter rail extensions that few will use.

No, because nobody opposes the Green Line extension through Somerville, which will be in an entirely grade-separated right-of-way. It's like the D branch, not the E branch.

“We know the mayor will not be the mayor forever,” said Johnson. “We just don’t have a mayor in Boston who supports public transit.”

I think this is the key quote.

Menino was prominent at turning the screws behind the scenes against the A Line both as Council Prez. and Mayor when that restoration fight was getting its last legal challenge. Then put his fingerprints all over the road rebuild on that corridor that erased the footprint the tracks ran on and salted the earth against them ever returning. He's been the same way about the E for the last 20 years. He was against rails on Washington St. and helped drag out and water down the mandated "equal-or-better" Orange Line replacement. He's against overhead wires of any kind, which has artificially constrained the number of modes under consideration for certain projects. He was complicit in the public comment keep-away on things like the 28X proposal, which poisoned neighborhood support for things that otherwise would've had fair amount. And he's exerted heavy-handed influence in the BRT-everywhere dead end that the T flogged and tried to force-fit in applications it just wasn't designed for.

No, he did not have sole/majority/plurality responsibility for the transit failures of the last 20 years. The T and state still own the lack of progress and all the ham-fisted implementations. But nothing gets done without Hizzoner's cooperation, and there's no question he's been an anti- general-purpose transit mayor who has only favored a certain kind 'edifice-to-himself' projects like SL Waterfront. It's very much the same pattern we see with his influence and ivory-towerization of the BRA and their project selection, politicking, outreach, etc.

The T is enough of its own enemy on project planning and the way it lets consultants influence them. But it doesn't help at all when they know that City Hall is going to be utterly unenthusiastic about certain implementations, and are even more inclined to prohibit at the start studies of build types that should be part of any sane transit engineering and budget planning study. For no other reason than comparison shopping and some sort of self-restraint on budget/schedule to prevent the politically preferred (rigged?) alternative from bloating itself to death from simple lack of planning reference point. It only encourages more of these maddeningly convoluted, counterintuitive designs that ultimately can't be built and result in NOTHING ever being built. The T doesn't need more help making things unbuildable and slew-footing its way out of more of the Big Dig Transit Commitments. Menino's been way too much of an enabler of those bad habits.

If we had a City Hall regime that pushed back against the state's worst instincts and advocated for some keep-it-simple practicality, we might've even seen some of this stuff built at non-embarrassing cost. Even basic stuff like bus route improvements and transit signal priority that aren't very exciting on spec but make a world of difference in reality. But much like the Pike air rights if 'edifice' or bust is the only way to get buy-in...it's bust every time. The T has no incentive to invest in the city, and that's only accelerated its suburban sprawl to the point where the agency is coming unglued from it. Why are streetcars such a nonstarter that all officials cup their ears and scream "NO NO NO NO NO!" at the first mention? Other cities are opening miles and miles of new LRT and street-running lines every single year, in an unfavorable transit economy. Is that not enough evidence for giving it fair shot when studying options for a desired transit project? So what if the streets are too narrow on this particular route. At least you gave every option a fair look and a price comparison, made a more informed decision, and made a decision based on the needs of that particular corridor. Instead of pushing this edifice crap every time, to the point where some projects start going against the needs of the people they're supposed to serve.

Reality's got to intrude somewhere to start cutting against this top-bottom dysfunction instead of reinforcing it. The City Hall bully pulpit's a more realistic place to start than hoping state bureaucracy grows the willpower to reform itself. You can move earth with a bully pulpit that advocates realistic things for realistic purposes. That much is possible even amid a broken system. Menino proved it himself in the 90's. But he stopped being that guy years ago when he started single-mindedly fishing for legacies and going after people for lack of fealty. Transit paralysis and BRA paralysis are symptoms of the same problem as far as his stake is concerned.

I think this is the key quote.

....Reality's got to intrude somewhere to start cutting against this top-bottom dysfunction instead of reinforcing it. The City Hall bully pulpit's a more realistic place to start than hoping state bureaucracy grows the willpower to reform itself. You can move earth with a bully pulpit that advocates realistic things for realistic purposes. That much is possible even amid a broken system. Menino proved it himself in the 90's. But he stopped being that guy years ago when he started single-mindedly fishing for legacies and going after people for lack of fealty. Transit paralysis and BRA paralysis are symptoms of the same problem as far as his stake is concerned.

Key missing link in your analysis is that by virtue of the fact that the population of Metro Boston is mostly metro and not so much Boston and the T is a creature of the state and hence even less Boston dominated -- the Mayor of Boston except by force of personality is a small player

By the numbers if you include the full Boston influenced region i.e from Worcester east and Manchester NH and Portland ME to Providence RI -- about 5 M+ the city proper is about 15% or so -- by contrast NYC and Chicago are about 1/2 of the populations of their metro regions

Thus the MBTA advisory board which is dominated by suburban interests and hence the focus on the comuter rail extensions to Providence and TF Green and eventually to Manchester and its airport

Now when you look at the balance between inside and outside projects Boston actually gets a bias in its favor

My solution would be to create a Metro Boston County out of all the cities and towns inside and touching I-495 -- this entity would be gifted at its creation with the T, Massport, all highways inside of and including I-495, the MWRA, etc.

A small executive commitee (about 5 -- with one member appointed by the Mayor of Boston and the others running at large) supported by a larger legislative body (about 40 essentially 1 vote per 100,000 people) would run it much as Big counties are run in most states

The BosMet County could do a lot of the things you and many others would like to see done -- but of course its only a dream

495 is a large boundary. Better set at 128, or at the most where the belt between 128 and 495 would have been. 128 is a pretty good border between inner/medium suburbs and the real suburbs/exurbs.

By the numbers if you include the full Boston influenced region i.e from Worcester east and Manchester NH and Portland ME to Providence RI -- about 5 M+ the city proper is about 15% or so -- by contrast NYC and Chicago are about 1/2 of the populations of their metro regions

Thus the MBTA advisory board which is dominated by suburban interests

NYC and Chicago proper don't approach anywhere near 50 percent of their metropolitan populations. NYC is 8 million out of 18-22+ million (depending on if we're talking MSA or CSA) and Chicago is only 2.7 million out of 9.5-9.8 million. Boston also has a much, much smaller footprint compared to either NYC or Chicago at less than 50 square miles. Urbanized Boston inside of 128 is somewhere around 1.7 million or so.

NYC and Chicago proper don't approach anywhere near 50 percent of their metropolitan populations. NYC is 8 million out of 18-22+ million (depending on if we're talking MSA or CSA) and Chicago is only 2.7 million out of 9.5-9.8 million. Boston also has a much, much smaller footprint compared to either NYC or Chicago at less than 50 square miles. Urbanized Boston inside of 128 is somewhere around 1.7 million or so.

Boston has one of the largest urbanized areas in America. I think we are 6th or 7th. Also, I would have to guess there are more than 1.7 million people within the 128 belt (which would include towns on it). I would guess there is probably close to 2.5 million people within 128.

Boston alone has well over 600,000. Then you have town/cities with at least 75,000 people - Cambridge, Newton, Somerville, Quincy and Lynn.

According to a sum of the communities within 128 from the back of my Road Atlas, a Boston expanded to that boundary would contain approx. 2 million people (with a small round-up to account for growth since the last census). It would be the 5th largest city in the US, behind Houston (barely) but ahead of Philadelphia, Phoenix, Dallas, San Francisco, and Detroit, among others.

I'm not sure about how much land is enclosed within 128, but Boston currently comprises only about 49 square miles, the second smallest area in the top 50 population centers behind San Francisco. Philly and Detroit, by comparison, are around 130. Houston is nearly 600.

One of the quirks of Massachusetts is that because of its smaller size, regional efforts like the T and Logan Airport are controlled by the State as opposed to the City Government or a regional semi-public agency (like BART in San Francisco or WMATA in DC) this does expose the T to more rural or generalized interests in a way not felt by those (expanding) systems.

Back