Genzyme Plant Expansion | Allston

It's true. However, given some of the critisism of the original design, it didn't take much for the owner change direction opting for the glass so that the employees can see the sun once in a while.

I dont understand the great affection some of you have for the original building. At least the new addition makes it look like what it is--a hi-tech, 21st-century manufacturing plant. The original is like a Postmodern church. What is that all about?

I dont understand the great affection some of you have for the original building. At least the new addition makes it look like what it is--a hi-tech, 21st-century manufacturing plant. The original is like a Postmodern church. What is that all about?

I think it was pretending to be part of Harvard, maybe. But still, I sort of liked it. I don't know why. A high-tech, 21st-century manufacturing plant would be way more modern that the dumb glass panels, don't you think?

I clearly remember this was their first expansion proposal, and the BRA rubber-stamped it. Anyway, maybe for the original the BRA and NIMBYs forced them to use a traditional manufacturing architectural palette, but it doesn't really look good or fit in to its surroundings imo. So in this case, modern is better; besides, it's not even in a place where an urban environment can be developed (mass pike loop ramps, soldiers fields drive, no residential/commercial nearby besides a "towers in the park" hotel, etc...).

another drive by today,I'll try to get something better.
signs007.jpg

another drive by, maybe some day I'll pull over and get a real pix!
041-7.jpg
040-5.jpg
005-9.jpg

today with its smokestacks if thats what they still call them?
017-15.jpg

besides the horizontal shape of these windows and obviously the height of the building, this facade is actually very similar to the wharf formerly known as russia

What is the opposite of contextualism? "Spitexualism": intentionally doing whatever you can do disrupt the existing fabric? (Not that there's any real fabric here, but you get what I mean.)

What is the opposite of contextualism? "Spitexualism": intentionally doing whatever you can do disrupt the existing fabric? (Not that there's any real fabric here, but you get what I mean.)

No, that's just known as "Modernism".

ArchRecord will give it an award thanks to some shuffling committee zombies at the BSA.

Back