Genzyme Plant Expansion | Allston

It wouldn't be so bad if the entire building was like the addition (in fact it would be pretty cool, and it would be a good-looking symbol of modern Boston manufacturing).

it looks like the compound of a very successful cult...the Branch Davidians after a terrific fundraising campaign....

In all fairness how many manufacturing facilities look nice. The fact that it is a functioning manufacturing facility in America kind of makes it beautiful (in the eyes of economics).

I really liked the original building. It was a nice, simple postmodernism. It's too bad they didn't continue the pitched roof onto the addition, though.

img0907.jpg

img0908l.jpg

img0909s.jpg

img0910sj.jpg

This is the first time I've ever been happy to see more red brick creeping up a new Boston facade.

It's not too bad from that angle (glad the brick is the same) but from the other side you can see the two parts don't relate well at all.

What the hell did they do to that building? It looks like it has boxy tumor protruding from it!

"Hey, this is my ugly step sister..."

I've always enjoyed that building in some sort of post-modern-toy way, but this really ruins it.

Would it be any better if the addition matched the original? Seems there would be just as much annoyance if some po-mo thing went up instead.

Not a complete copy-cat extension, but at least continuing the rooflines. Even if it just had a gabled roof, be it lower or higher that the rest of the building, would have made it more tolerable.

I for one think it looks good in that last photo. Reasonably integrated to the original building, but clearly a modern addition, pointing in a new direction. Copying the original would have been pure pastiche and it's difficult to draw inspiration from much of anything around there, unless you like highway infrastructure.

Should've used more brick on the front facade.

Back