Goodwin Procter HQ @ Fan Pier | 90 - 110 Northern Ave - Parcel I | Seaport

Re: Goodwin Procter HQ (Parcel I) @ Fan Pier | 90 - 110 Northern Ave | Seaport

That park shoehorned in next to the building will be fantastic! On the Summer equinox. From 11:48 to 12:12.

Stoking the economic engine that is creating this district seems more important than architecture. The bland results thus far make this clear. Mr. Fallon is a businessman who successfully builds rentable space. The city needs this, yes, but it also needs an imaginative public realm. The intangibles of good design count. We still have a way to go and many things to build. We have time. We can only hope more original minds will weigh in before this opportunity is lost.

According to this design presentationfrom 2013 the building Sicilian posted was designed by BBG-BBGM but today's bizjournal article says
the architect is HOK, so there is probably a new design. Hopefully it's better, not worse.

According to this design presentationfrom 2013 the building Sicilian posted was designed by BBG-BBGM but today's bizjournal article says
the architect is HOK, so there is probably a new design. Hopefully it's better, not worse.

There actually is a newer render than the one you've posted: http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=189882&postcount=17

Notice the bump-outs on the side were VE'd out.

My posted rendering was taken from yesterday's groundbreaking PR published in either Boston Business Journal or Banker and Tradesman (can't remember which).

It looks like both publications are revising their own posted renderings, with a new rendering appearing with BBJ story today (see Image 3).

While BBJ states that HOK is architect, all prior references I recall reading stated BBG-BBGM was the architect.

New design looks like a server with one open port remaining. It would have been cooler if they'd aped the design of the new Mac Pro instead.

New rendering on BBJ site includes HOK logo.

Possible explanation for BBG-BBGM on project filing here.

Does it really matter what the render is (although I certainly appreciate the updates and pics)?

Every iteration of this, has been nothing more than a floor plate maximizing POS. HoK has some pretty cool buildings in their global portfolio, and this is what we're innovatin' in Boston.

Stoking the economic engine that is creating this district seems more important than architecture. The bland results thus far make this clear. Mr. Fallon is a businessman who successfully builds rentable space. The city needs this, yes, but it also needs an imaginative public realm. The intangibles of good design count. We still have a way to go and many things to build. We have time. We can only hope more original minds will weigh in before this opportunity is lost.

But what is the incentive for Boston developers to spend extra money on imaginative architectural designs and high end materials? If you are a businessmen and you can make a better profit using cheap design/materials why would you spend more to upgrade either and make less? These developers are not interested in making striking buildings with high end materials. They want to make as much money on each project as they can as quickly as they can. I wish I was wrong (there are, of course, a few notable exceptions).

But what is the incentive for Boston developers to spend extra money on imaginative architectural designs and high end materials? If you are a businessmen and you can make a better profit using cheap design/materials why would you spend more to upgrade either and make less? These developers are not interested in making striking buildings with high end materials. They want to make as much money on each project as they can as quickly as they can. I wish I was wrong (there are, of course, a few notable exceptions).

I wouldn't say it needs to be high end, and I don't think radical curves/angles are necessary. I just think that more can be done without eating into their proffit margins, at least in my opinion. Little touches go along way, especially a little color, and as long as they stay away from 'custom', the cost doesn't need to be astronomically higher.

My theory, is that if these developers were allowed to go higher (I know it's not possible in the seaport, but elsewhere) they'd be getting more bang for their buck, and have some more money to spend on more aesthetically pleasing buildings, and not glass boxes.

Even some brise soleil sticking out from the flat glass would give the facade nice depth and dynamism while providing crucial natural shading that in turn can lower energy costs. The savings in energy would make up for the cost during construction, but I know first hand as a MEP designer that long-term savings mean nothing during the VE process to developers. =/

Pardon my ignorance but is Goodwin Procter in any way connected to Procter & Gamble??

^No.

^ Bos & Bob, true enough what you say. One would hope the BRA might hold business parties to a higher standard.

So just a single core for that massive floor plate huh?
Going up fast though.

I'm confused, I thought the Goodwin Proctor parcel was the one immediately adjacent to the ICA. This appears to be south of Seaport BLVD, but I could be wrong. Can someone smarter than I clarify this for me?

Edit: No longer needed.

Last edited:

I'm confused, I thought the Goodwin Proctor parcel was the one immediately adjacent to the ICA. This appears to be south of Seaport BLVD, but I could be wrong. Can someone smarter than I clarify this for me?

I was just about to ask the same thing, this core can't be the Goodwin Proctor building. The renderings all show the Goodwin Proctor building butting up next to the ICA. Is this core the Skanska apartment building? Opps, never mind, Data answered the question, thanks.

Sorry, my bad! I put the pics in the wrong spot. There's so much mediocre development in that area that I get it all mixed up.

To avoid (add to the?) confusion I moved DZH22's photos to the Seaport thread.

Back