Gov't Center Station Rebuild

So how many 100K+ full time staff will the MBTA employ to keep this glass palace clean?

Don't worry.
They'll appoint a Glass Care Czar to make those important decisions.
The public will know as soon as 2021.
Rest assured.

So how many 100K+ full time staff will the MBTA employ to keep this glass palace clean?

None. It's a manufacturing defect that will be paid for by the glass company. The panels are being replaced during construction. They don't anticipate any additional cost or delay to the project.

None. It's a manufacturing defect that will be paid for by the glass company. The panels are being replaced during construction. They don't anticipate any additional cost or delay to the project.

I think meddle's referring to keeping the glass clean once the station work is complete.

Well it's the MBTA so they will probably just let the glass get really dirty for years before they do anything.

Well it's the MBTA so they will probably just let the glass get really dirty for years before they do anything.

More money in letting it fall into utter disrepair and being a consultant on the replacement project.

Many loads of large milled granite block are on site now, presumably for hardscaping. Probably some urgency to finish the exterior work on the plaza before snow starts to fly if they intend to open the station in March/April. 6 months to go!

Progress via @ConcretePlaza:

https://twitter.com/concreteplaza/status/654703942517964800

CRX5v3aUwAAittE.jpg:large

via @CharlieonMTA:

https://twitter.com/CharlieOnMTA/status/654632249967661060

CRW4inwUEAAll4J.jpg:large

Wasn't this reported months ago? Why is it suddenly a story again?

Right, but it never hurts to get an update...

I agree. The Globe also got the T to reiterate that the cost is being eaten by someone in the manufacturer / subcontractor / contractor chain (probably manufacturer). But not the taxpayers. And they've worked around it to keep on schedule.

With all the bad news out of the T in recent years, I don't mind the Globe being a bit repetitive on a story in which a snag gets sorted out without impact to taxpayers or riders. I don't want to read all "gotcha" all the time. I know there's got to be some good news out there, I'll happily read it twice.

The Globe alights on the obvious with a sense of discovery.
Right, but it never hurts to get an update...
I don't see how they can use "mars" in the present tense. I felt grossly misled by the headline "Defect mars new windows at Government Center T stop", which I read as marring the *replacement* glass which we knew fromWGBH back in August)
If they really thought they were updating, they'd have admitted "As first reported by WGBH back in August..."
WGBH August 24th (and in this thread at #483):
Government Center Station Glass Fogs Up, Needs To Be Replaced

The news that the Somerville Green Line extension is facing a possible $1 billion cost overrun wasn't the only downer at Monday's meeting of the MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board.

Some or all of the glass for the new Government Center headhouse in Boston is defective and needs to be replaced, the MBTA's General Manager said Monday.

"Fairly soon people will start to see the glass that's been up for several months now removed, and the area covered with tarps to protect the interior from the weather as the glass is sent back to California to be remanufactured and reshipped out and reinstalled," said MBTA General Manager Frank DePaola.

During his comments to the MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board, DePaola said there is an issue of workmanship in the glass and glazing of the structure now rising out of Government Center Plaza. According to DePaola, seals between panes of glass have failed, allowing moisture to get between them and causing fogginess to appear inside the windows.

DePaola said the project's contractor, Barletta Heavy Division, is fully responsible for workmanship issues and should cover the cost of replacing the panes, which will be done in batches.

"Those double pane windows, those seals have failed," DePaola said. "The inner gas has leaked out and moisture has gotten in, so if you look at many of them closely you'll see fogging on the inside of the window."

All defective glass will have to be replaced, MassDOT spokesman Mike Verseckes told WGBH News after DePaola's remarks, but it's unclear how many of the panels will need to come down. The replacement of the panes will not affect the expected Spring 2016 opening of the station, as Barletta will do the replacement work concurrently with the station's construction, DePaola said.

The Globe alights on the obvious with a sense of discovery.
I don't see how they can use "mars" in the present tense. I felt grossly misled by the headline "Defect mars new windows at Government Center T stop", which I read as marring the *replacement* glass which we knew fromWGBH back in August)
If they really thought they were updating, they'd have admitted "As first reported by WGBH back in August..."

That's what I was getting at.
Looking through the Globe archives it looks like they never reported on the original story at the time, so I guess to them it is 'new' news.

That's what I was getting at.
Looking through the Globe archives it looks like they never reported on the original story at the time, so I guess to them it is 'new' news.

Ach, I had missed this nuance, I was misremembering it that the Globe had also run this back in August after WGBH. But you're right, they didn't. and Arlington's take is on point too: they're creating the impression that the glass going in now is the problem.

I stand corrected (well, sit corrected).

And here I was willing to give the Globe some props this fine Friday. Oh well, back to the usual. Now why do I keep subscribing....? Aside from being a geezer stuck in his habits?

Back