Gov't Center Station Rebuild

Went thru there on the way home tonight, the station is very bright on the green line level at least. One question, will they be bringing back the dunkins or allow some other coffee vendor? I found that convenient in the old station.

Yes, there is a 400-square-foot retail space near the west end of the Green Line platform. Nothing is in it yet but the MBTA is advertising the space.

I want to re-emphasize how awesome the MBTA's progress has been on accessibility:

• The Orange Line has had full handicapped accessibility since State's renovations were completed in 2011.
  • With Government Center's renovations, all Blue Line stations except Bowdoin are accessible - and I believe Bowdoin is exempt.
  • All Red Line stations except Wollaston are accessible, and Wollaston is planned and in design.
  • With Government Center's renovations, all Green Line non-surface stations are accessible, except Boylston, Hynes Convention Center, and Symphony. I believe Boylston is exempt, while Hynes and Symphony are planned.

So, only two heavy rail stations remain non-accessible: Bowdoin (exempt) and Wollaston (in design). That is no small feat from where we were 20, or even 10 years ago.

Yes, there is a 400-square-foot retail space near the west end of the Green Line platform. Nothing is in it yet but the MBTA is advertising the space.

There is also a retail window available on the BL level.

Thanks, I forgot about that one.

There appear to have been more mosiacs restored than initially announced. Unless any are reproductions and not originals, there are:

*"Scollay Under" on the west end of the westbound track
*"Scollay Under" on the west end of the eastbound track
*"Scollay Under" under the stairs on the east end of the Blue Line platform
*"Scollay Under" on the landing of the main stairs from the Green Line to the Blue Line
*"Scollay Under" on a low wall next to the secondary inter-platform stairs
*"Scollay" on a low wall on the opposite side of the stairs
*"S" on the east end of the westbound track
*Possibly an "S" on the east end of the eastbound track as well

I've posted this on twitter and FB and got a ton of replies. I thought you guys would like to see this also (and probably have comments for it too!)

In case anyone didn't notice, there's little misting devices along the inbound Green Line Track near the end of the platform toward park street. This helps with the squealing that used to occur on this track.

They turn on just before the train enters and turn off shortly after the train leaves. It greatly helps with the noise in the station. No more deafening squealing sound.

Of course, as cool as they are (and they are very cool), I hope for the best and hope they are well maintained....o O (but this is the T we're talking about, sadly) O o . ...

25341701013_e25d70342c_b.jpg

I was wondering why steam appeared to be coming out of the bottom of the train as I disembarked today! I did notice that there wasn't an awful squeal, at any rate- thanks for the explanation!

Last edited:
Why don't we have misters in the loops at Park? I'd guess that any friction making a squeal is friction that permits riding up and derailing--reducing friction is a triple win if you throw in extended wheel (flange) and rail head life.

(Chicago L has (had?) trip-hammer powered flange greasers on outdoor right angle alley turns where ice would be a problem but derailing would be worse)

Last edited:
A review of Government Center Station with some mentions of the sprayers.

Surprisingly, a quick forum search didn't turn up any mentions of this blog before - a teenager reviewing every T stop and bus line in the system. Still in progress but pretty far along, it seems.

You'd never know that Government Center opened yesterday using the T this morning:
- Green Line detour directional signs still up at State
- Detour maps still up at State
- No announcements that GC is open by BL drivers

The same HUGE crowd got off the BL at State and walked down to the Oak Grove platform, many presumably to transfer to the GL (who would blame them with signs still directing them to?). I got the feeling lots of people didn't know. Very poor handling of this on the T's behalf. All the signs should have been removed by end of day yesterday at the latest.

Really? That's nuts. It was all over the news yesterday. I can't believe that many people don't pay attention to what going on in their city.

It was even the front page story on today's Metro. How oblivious can they be?

Really? That's nuts. It was all over the news yesterday. I can't believe that many people don't pay attention to what going on in their city.

Dunno, but drivers should absolutely be promoting GC non-stop. Our core is whole again.

^ Give them the benefit of the doubt and call it a soft launch?

Dunno, but drivers should absolutely be promoting GC non-stop. Our core is whole again.

They were probably told to, but it's not like the T can enforce it if they forget or don't care...

I wonder if the taking down of the signs is affected by the early opening date? Also, Replacing all the maps is in the CIP - does anyone know if they've stickered over them?

They were probably told to, but it's not like the T can enforce it if they forget or don't care...

I wonder if the taking down of the signs is affected by the early opening date? Also, Replacing all the maps is in the CIP - does anyone know if they've stickered over them?

I'm talking about the GC detour maps stuck to the walls. Not the regular system maps. I can understand the system maps taking a bit to change or sticker over in the meantime. What I can't understand is why they haven't told the station staff to peel the arrows & detour maps off the walls. So simple.

Let's list out locations and we can go take out down ourselves (or since they are sticky, start pealing a piece off at a time).

Let's list out locations and we can go take out down ourselves (or since they are sticky, start pealing a piece off at a time).

I reported it on Twitter this morning. They said they'll have station maintenance address it.

MBTA ‏@MBTA 33m ago
@datadyne007 Hello! Thanks for reporting this to us. We'll notify station maintenance personnel now.

I agree that they could be promoting it much better.

However, on my inbound D train, I had the opposite thing happen to what datadyne describes on the Blue Line. We got to Park, where the D has been terminating during the Govt Ctr shutdown (well, the very great majority of Ds). Those of us, like me, who actually get off at Park regardless of the status of Govt Ctr, stood and waited patiently for those closer to the door to exit. After a few awkward moments, it dawned on us that not everyone's getting off at Park today. I knew this perfectly well at the cerebral level, but at the level of what my feet do in my morning routine ... I was still in the previous pattern. And I wasn't the only one. I could see lots of other people having that same dawning realization: "oh, I actually have to squeeze past people to get off at Park, like before, because lots of folks are not getting off here, and also because the D is no longer terminating here." And a few smirks from those riding on through, sort of "heh, I'm done with THAT zig-zagging crap, y'all have to deal with me in your way again from now on..."

Made for a humorous and backhandedly satisfying moment.

Oh brother, 24 hours has passed since something good happened for the MBTA system...time for the dramatics to resume:

You'd never know that Government Center opened yesterday using the T this morning:
- Green Line detour directional signs still up at State
- Detour maps still up at State
- No announcements that GC is open by BL drivers

The same HUGE crowd got off the BL at State and walked down to the Oak Grove platform, many presumably to transfer to the GL (who would blame them with signs still directing them to?). I got the feeling lots of people didn't know. Very poor handling of this on the T's behalf. All the signs should have been removed by end of day yesterday at the latest.
Though it would've been helpful, I doubt the T wanted to take time to compose some kind of GC closure "sign removal" program, and who can blame them? There's bigger fish to fry, and PLENTY of local media made it well-known that GC reopened.

As far as people not knowing, that's on them. The T has advertised GC's reopening on Twitter & MBTA.com well in advance of the actual event. It's partially the T's responsibility to keep riders in the know, and it's also partially the riders' responsibility to keep informed of operational changes.

I can't believe that many people don't pay attention to what going on in their city.

Believe it. Many people in today's society aren't the "brightest bulb", and most any Joe Schmo can walk into a transit station and ride the system, so it's not like there's some expectation of mass intelligence that should be held to the T's riders (we are talking about a system that has had riders who wank-off on buses & steal personal items out of customer service booths). Why would you think those folks would pay attention to city/MBTA happenings when they're too busy being self-serving?

I actually overheard a guy yesterday asking when GC closed...I think that proves my point.

Non-stop? That's a bit much...announcements of the reopening certainly can be helpful, but I go back to part of the GC reopening awareness falls on the rider too. When a driver might be facing some sudden operational difficulty or is busy with radio communications, I guarantee missing out on a GC REMINDER announcement is at the bottom of the list of priorities.

What I can't understand is why they haven't told the station staff to peel the arrows & detour maps off the walls. So simple.
As soon as Management tells staff to do so, you can further open up the floodgates of criticism that MBTA staff already faces from riders. Management would hear, "Why are you telling staff to peel stickers? This is what my tax money pays for, etc." Staff would hear, "How much do you get paid to peel stickers off? There's nothing else to do, like FIX THE SYSTEM?" Don't tell me that wouldn't be the case, because you know it would be...but now, they're receiving heck from posts like yours because they AREN'T peeling stickers. They truly "can't win".

You could, but 1) do you really have that much free time to do the T's work for free, and 2) are you willing to potentially be seen on camera & be confronted by TPD, who will say you're defacing their property?

I think the point of all this is, there's much bigger issues that GC reopening announcements & detour stickers...to state 24 hours after the initial opening that everything isn't 100% resolved from a 2-year closure notice shows how miniscule and undirected your focus can be. I think our $80+ million "gift" of the new Government Center should still take front & center spotlight for a while...it's too soon for the T-obsessed critics or fanbois to start turd flinging (in any aspect) in relation to this accomplishment.

By the way, thank you MBTA...Government Center Station is absolutely beautiful.

Back