GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

Geez even the Herald is reporting that the historical building will remain intact and the gym/pool will be replaced at the end of the project.

What was all they hysterical shrieking about again?

Geez even the Herald is reporting that the historical building will remain intact and the gym/pool will be replaced at the end of the project.

What was all they hysterical shrieking about again?

The spa and the youngins that will now flood his front lawn. DAMN KIDS!

GrandMarc.jpg

New rendering and article from The Huntington News:

Construction crews began work last week on a 17-story residence hall behind the YMCA on Huntington Avenue, a project expected to start more than a year ago that was delayed by years of litigation and community resistance.

The YMCA of Greater Boston agreed to sell part of its real estate in 2010 to Phoenix Property Company, which arranged to build a dormitory on the site and lease it to Northeastern. The agreement included a provision allowing Northeastern to buy the building at a later time.

But residents of surrounding neighborhoods and members of the YMCA opposed the project, delaying the sale by petitioning the Boston Landmarks Commission to list the property as a landmark and by filing lawsuits that questioned the plan’s adherence to zoning procedures. The sale, formally announced in October 2010, has now closed, allowing construction to begin last week.

The residence hall, which has been referred to as GrandMarc, will house 720 beds. It was scheduled to open before the fall semester of 2013, but Northeastern now hopes construction will be finished sometime in 2014, according to John Tobin, the university’s vice president for city and community affairs.

http://huntnewsnu.com/2012/08/work-on-high-rise-residence-hall-begins-behind-ymca/

Personally, I like the design, even if it is a little plain. But I am a little wary of the rendering. It looks like they are using the same (terrible) materials here they used on International Village, and the fact the evening render makes it difficult to tell doesn't make me feel any better. A prominent building for this area should look good.

Last edited:

It looks weirdly out of scale in that rendering.

It also looks squat but then again, any higher and the campus would get torched by the community.

Am I the only one who thinks that rendering (the whole thing not just the building) looks a little like a WPA poster?

^ Interesting thought, statler. I can see it too. It's because the foreground has less detail the the background. Removing classical details from buildings turns them into Art Deco massing models.

It also calls to mind this technique from Orson Welles's magnum opus.

3b49064r.jpg

I know this neighborhood like the back of my hand (as well as this project), and that rendering is slightly off. The wall furthest to the left in that picture should align with the front corner of the existing Huntington Ave. Y building. In essence, the tower should technically come forward a bit and move to the right a bit to fit into place. That's how it will really appear from that angle.

Anyway, about this project...

HOORAY!!!

It also calls to mind this technique from Orson Welles's magnum opus.

Love WPA artwork and love cinematographer Gregg Toland's deep focus. At a time when most images felt fuzzy at best, him and Welles were creating images that still look sharp today:

1941kanecrispdeepfocus.png

The Best Years of Our Lives is another personal favorite with lots of deep focus.

I know this neighborhood like the back of my hand (as well as this project), and that rendering is slightly off. The wall furthest to the left in that picture should align with the front corner of the existing Huntington Ave. Y building. In essence, the tower should technically come forward a bit and move to the right a bit to fit into place. That's how it will really appear from that angle.

Anyway, about this project...

HOORAY!!!

What about this project merits "hooray"? I just attended a meeting with NU reps about the upcoming IMP for Northeastern and they were more collegial than ever. My last 12 years in this neighborhood have shown that collegiality is a strategy to minimize objections.

What about this project merits "hooray"? I just attended a meeting with NU reps about the upcoming IMP for Northeastern and they were more collegial than ever. My last 12 years in this neighborhood have shown that collegiality is a strategy to minimize objections.

If you haven't already, joegenius, read this article about rental costs in Boston:

http://boston.com/realestate/news/2...even-higher/sxzxKHQWw4uwibbyzGbzyL/story.html

What merits "hooray" you ask?
- Northeastern is finally closer to removing 720 students from a waiting list to live in student housing... closer to offering a more "affordable" rate to these students than the unbelievably swollen prices of area apartments offering the same list of amenities (security, new construction, central air, green materials, modern technologies, bicycle storage, etc.).
- A seven-year saga to construct a building here has an end within reach.
- The green line E-branch corridor is progressing in meeting its ridership potential by continuing development of this density within walking distance of the stations.
- Thanks to this deal with Phoenix Developers, the Huntington Avenue YMCA branch has the funds it needs (not wants--NEEDS) to give its members facility improvements that have been long overdue. I've been in this YMCA, and I cannot understand for the life of me why current YMCA members were apathetic to the deplorable conditions throughout this building. In the next 2 years that Y members are allowed FREE use of Northeastern's undeniably far-superior Marino Recreation Center, I'll be dumfounded if YMCA "geniuses" like you continue to diatribe my alma mater.

This is a victory for the YMCA.

This is a victory for Northeastern University.

This is a victory for the Fenway community.

This is progress. To summarize my tenured professor's course on human development and globalization in three words: "Adapt or die."

If you haven't already, joegenius, read this article about rental costs in Boston:

http://boston.com/realestate/news/2...even-higher/sxzxKHQWw4uwibbyzGbzyL/story.html

What merits "hooray" you ask?
- Northeastern is finally closer to removing 720 students from a waiting list to live in student housing... closer to offering a more "affordable" rate to these students than the unbelievably swollen prices of area apartments offering the same list of amenities (security, new construction, central air, green materials, modern technologies, bicycle storage, etc.).
- A seven-year saga to construct a building here has an end within reach.
- The green line E-branch corridor is progressing in meeting its ridership potential by continuing development of this density within walking distance of the stations.
- Thanks to this deal with Phoenix Developers, the Huntington Avenue YMCA branch has the funds it needs (not wants--NEEDS) to give its members facility improvements that have been long overdue. I've been in this YMCA, and I cannot understand for the life of me why current YMCA members were apathetic to the deplorable conditions throughout this building. In the next 2 years that Y members are allowed FREE use of Northeastern's undeniably far-superior Marino Recreation Center, I'll be dumfounded if YMCA "geniuses" like you continue to diatribe my alma mater.

This is a victory for the YMCA.

This is a victory for Northeastern University.

This is a victory for the Fenway community.

This is progress. To summarize my tenured professor's course on human development and globalization in three words: "Adapt or die."

To answer your assertions:

-This project will not have any effect on the availability or prices of Apartments in the East Fenway neighborhood that I have resided in for 31 of the last 34 years. ! bedroom apartments are available on Westland Ave. for $2200 I am acquainted with 3 students who split this. The Greenhouse goes for about $2500. this 3 ways. Northeastern has come up in the market over the years. The demographic it attracts, much of which is international, is well off enough so that "pricing out" students is unlikely at best. I lived at 24 Haviland St. for more than 19 years. When I moved in Berklee kids ate Ramen. by the time I left in 2009 they had Merry Maids cleaning their apartments.
-Methinks that the Fenway's student population will be much larger in 5 years as the social opportunities for students created by sheer numbers will grow.
-Whatever effect this project has will be for about 3 years until the time that NU's required 2 years in the dorm is finished. Students will always want freedom and no-smoking, no-drinking in dorms will not cut it.
-"Apathy"? YMCA members in my social circle have been very vocal for at least the last 5 years about the deferred maintenance of the gym. The Y should have mounted a capital drive 10 years ago. Indeed 1998-99 saw the improvements of the new weight room and additional cardio equipment. At that point the Y was a healthy institution and the window of opportunity was open for an appeal to members. Do you know many Y members? Rest assured they have not been pleased by the Y's in/actions of this century. Indeed, many think that this neglect of the facilities was a stratagem to to make the property more attractive to NU from the get-go. the ineptitude of the Y is staggering.
-Was there any competitive bidding? NU and the Y have not responded to questions about the "process" that made NU the sole suitor. Was there any other prospective buyer who would have been able to preserve the gym?
-As mentioned the real losers in this charade will be the teens who are not full-fledged members and are not as of yet able to vote. Yes, I think that NU will be glad that prospective student's families will not see black teens on Huntington Ave.
-The gym to be built will have 6 hoops rather than the 9 of the former gym.
-The one good thing about the new plan is that their will be a recreational pool and a therapeutic pool. This is a true gain.
-What makes it certain that a new Y will be built at all?
-The YMCA has a large number of members over 30. It would be very uncomfortable for them to use the Marino Center. Yes, I do think that most of these folks will be accommodated by other gyms. The teen users will NOT be absorbed by markets.
-The roles of the Boston Zoning Commission and the BRA are 1 and the same. I guess that zoning is a whim. If that is the case than private developers should get the leeway that NU has been afforded.
-It is truly distressing to see that the MISSION HILL GAZETTE reports that the legal challenges to NU have been settled for something in the neighborhood of $500K. There are folks, myself among them who wrote letters, attended meetings, posted flyers...to find that the so-called leaders have negotiated a settlement whose funds go...?
-I attended NU. All through the 80's and 90's NU was a positive presence in the area. that was ages ago. NU is still trading on the "ugly stepchild" reputation that it had in the 70's as a pretext for "saving" the Fenway. i was a member of STOP, Symphony Tenants Organizing Project, as a 20 year old NU student. I am well versed in the history of the East Fens. I remember when it was called "Front of the Fens".
-Yes, I feel the eyelet windows and elevated track of the gym are wonderful. In 2010 William Galvin and the MA Historical commission did as well. They dropped the ball.
-Gee, I think that NU can pull itself together after this "slog" as John Tobin, NU VP for Community Relations and former City Councilor put it.
-Indeed it is Mr. Tobin's assertion, and former State Atty's Ralph Martins's claim that the recession of 2008 made it "economic" to develop NU rather than Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall which it already owned.
-"Adapt or die"? NU should follow that creed.-Oh yeah, wanna bet Cullinane Hall and Gainsborough Garage are developed after the dorm is built?

*sits down with bowl of popcorn*

You know what helps rents spiral upwards? Dorms do.

720 students off the wait list (and presumably, out of the market for studios?) Great! You just eliminated 720 reasons for the price to go down. After all, the dorm is the natural place for a broke college student, right? Those suckers who actually wanted a tiny studio somewhere so they could have a place to call their own rest assured that they wouldn't be tossed out on their ass every summer and winter holiday just didn't get with the program. Too bad for them.

So let's just keep building more dorms and luxury high-rises! Those idiots who couldn't land a six-digit salary out of the gate can just move back with their parents. Serves them right for not trying hard enough, or being smart enough to make it! Yep, this dorm was a great win for everyone who matters!

Why no, I'm not bitter at all that several months of searching for a place to live revealed that the $576 I'm paying a month to commute by Amtrak is less than half of what an apartment - any apartment - would cost me.

I don't understand your reasoning here. Dorms take students out of the private rental housing market, which reduces demand, which should reduce rents (or at least remove upward pressure on them).

I don't understand your reasoning here. Dorms take students out of the private rental housing market, which reduces demand, which should reduce rents (or at least remove upward pressure on them).

You can't keep your dorm after graduating college, so, rather than solve the problem of having a lack of low-to-mid range housing be available, you simply defer it.

I mean, it's great right up until you graduate, but then you're right back to having no place to live. It's great for college students - specifically, students at that college - but not for anyone else looking to move into the community.

But who knows, maybe I'm just extremely angry and not thinking my own arguments through all the way. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Also remember, dorm rooms are not free to students. They pay essentially market rate to live in the dorms. THe schools entice them with proximity to their classes, a collegial atmosphere, security,in-building-laundry, fitness areas, genral high quality of living standards, not having to deal with a landlord, and other small amenities. Often these dorm rooms are more expensive than the surrounding market, but of better value to the student.

If the surrounding rental markets want to compete, they can do so on price or quality.

It is the way of things. No need for anger.

cca

You can't keep your dorm after graduating college, so, rather than solve the problem of having a lack of low-to-mid range housing be available, you simply defer it.
Right. So right after graduating you take one of the studios or shitty one bedrooms that students used to take but are now available to 23 y.o.'s because of the 720 new dorm rooms.
I agree with Ron, the dorms should reduce upward pressure and increase options for those looking for low-cost living in the city.

Back