Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Wait, Jass, how would a high floor LRV be useful? Its obviously impossible to make the whole existing GL high floor and if you're already tunneling the Blue Line through at GC why not just use that? Not trying to be snarky, just confused about what the proposal is.

EDIT: Now I think I get it but it doesn't make no sense. Why destroy legitimately useful thru-running (anyone going from somerville to any non NS/GL core station needs a transfer?) and add ANOTHER unique requirement to all future equipment orders when you can just use the existing infra. Designing two different platform and car standards that are interoperable in busy CBD trackage seems obviously inferior to just using 3 car low floor vehicles and sucking up the poor ride quality.

Jeez. This plan is getting fucking ornery, man. Hug it out, ya filthy animals.

Wait, Jass, how would a high floor LRV be useful? Its obviously impossible to make the whole existing GL high floor and if you're already tunneling the Blue Line through at GC why not just use that? Not trying to be snarky, just confused about what the proposal is.

EDIT: Now I think I get it but it doesn't make no sense. Why destroy legitimately useful thru-running (anyone going from somerville to any non NS/GL core station needs a transfer?) and add ANOTHER unique requirement to all future equipment orders when you can just use the existing infra. Designing two different platform and car standards that are interoperable in busy CBD trackage seems obviously inferior to just using 3 car low floor vehicles and sucking up the poor ride quality.

It doesn't make sense because jass is pulling the foul-mouthed troglodyte act again to burnish some self-notion of 'pithily contrarian' cred where all facts are tacit yet infallible by their very lack of substantiation. Done it before...doing it here. There's no use seeking answers or supporting evidence for his sweeping statements because it'll just be met with more obstinate deflection, more stock-image JPEG's, and petty name-calling.

What's this thread about again?

It doesn't make sense because jass is pulling the foul-mouthed troglodyte act again to burnish some self-notion of 'pithily contrarian' cred where all facts are tacit yet infallible by their very lack of substantiation. Done it before...doing it here. There's no use seeking answers or supporting evidence for his sweeping statements because it'll just be met with more obstinate deflection, more stock-image JPEG's, and petty name-calling.

What's this thread about again?

Why don't you try being nice. I think everyone appreciates your expertise and detailed analysis of very complex transit problems, but being a verbose asshole in every post (even the informative ones) weakens your message. That is not effective communication.

here's the Globe feed.....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ucture-list/ofnWMuhPELHWa2o8wzFtaK/story.html

Green Line extension makes Trump’s infrastructure list

By Travis Andersen Globe Staff January 25, 2017

State transit officials are preparing for key meetings Wednesday and Thursday to review the long-stalled Green Line extension, one day after Governor Charlie Baker said the project has the apparent blessing of President Trump.

Joe Pesaturo, a spokesman for the MBTA, said in an e-mail Tuesday night that “there are important meetings tomorrow and Thursday between the project team and the Federal Transit Administration to thoroughly review the revised scope and costs of the project.”

The meetings were scheduled last month, he said.

“The project team is well prepared for these meetings, and looks forward to a productive discussion with FTA officials,” Pesaturo wrote.

His comments came after Baker, a Republican, told the Globe in an interview that the Trump administration had recently circulated a list of priority infrastructure projects that included the Green Line expansion, planned for an extension into Somerville and Medford.

New Green Line stations’ opening delayed to 2021

The delay for the seven new stations for the Green Line extension into Somerville and Medford pushes the project back yet again.

The state is hoping to win about $1 billion in federal funding for the project.

The expansion is one of dozens of infrastructure projects nationwide that were highlighted by the Trump administration, according to a copy of the list obtained by the Kansas City Star newspaper and posted to the McClatchy website on Tuesday.

A widening of a 20-mile segment of Interstate 93 in New Hampshire is also on the list.

Rafael Mares, a senior attorney with the Conservation Law Foundation, which backs the project, welcomed the news that the expansion is on Trump’s radar.

“Obviously, I appreciate that the Green Line extension is on that list,” Mares said in a phone interview. “It’s a really important transit project.”

The White House did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday night.

When completed, the Green Line would be extended from a relocated Lechmere Station in East Cambridge to Union Square in Somerville and College Avenue in Medford.

The project has long been beset by delays.

In August 2015, the state revealed it could be $1 billion over budget after officials had designed elaborate stations and ignored looming problems with a relatively new contracting process.

The T essentially halted the project, canceling contracts with the consortium that had been hired to design and build the extension.

Under the new preliminary schedule, a new team of contractors should be selected by the end of 2017.

John Dalton, project manager for the $2.3 billion extension, said in December that seven new stations for the extension are now scheduled to open in 2021.

Does anyone know what might be coming after the Greenline extension?

Indigo?

Seaport service via the Fairmount Line?

Last edited:
Boston Globe is full of it!!!

in order to be able to read the link, they friggen force you to subscribe & pay a fee to receiving news from them.

They can take their website and shove it where the sun don't shine! :mad:

in order to be able to read the link, they friggen force you to subscribe & pay a fee to receiving news from them.

Dude...Chill. We've been through this multiple times. Just use incognito mode in Google chrome. Problem solved.

Yes, God forbid a news organization get paid for their efforts. They also want you to pay to have it delivered!! It's crazy.

I'm willing to bet it's on that list just so it can be removed the next time Elizabeth Warren makes the petulant man-child unhappy.

Then let's hope that not the assessment. It's still on the list. That's a good thing. Let's not spin it into a bad thing when it is still on the list.

Somerville is also a sanctuary city I believe, something Trump is targeting. He plays hardball! Will be interesting to see how all this unfolds.

Assuming this list ends up being accurate, how is it they will rebuild a large swath of 2 rails lines in Chicago for $2.1 Billion meanwhile the Green Line extension is going to cost $3 Billion?

Assuming this list ends up being accurate, how is it they will rebuild a large swath of 2 rails lines in Chicago for $2.1 Billion meanwhile the Green Line extension is going to cost $3 Billion?

Well, without details, I think you nailed the difference in the descriptions.

Rebuild is not totally de novo construction.

I would assume that in Chicago, stations are being rebuilt/rehabbed, not built from scratch.

I would assume in Chicago the right-of-way is adequate as is, and does not require new retaining wall work, drainage work, expansion to accommodate the existing lines.

I would assume that the Chicago rebuild does not include a new rail yard and maintenance facility.

Back