Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

^ I must have seen you taking these!

Anyone who missed the Fitzgerald expressway being taken down has a chance to relive it at lechmere today.

The most exciting thing for me was seeing the new rebar for the new support columns being delivered today.

Fun fact, i've had two different jobs in that building, and another in the building in the background. Great place to work / buildings to work in.

Has there ever been a rendering of how the triangular parcel where the station was is going to be filled? Is it going to be broken in two with the road cutting through?

I didn't make it to tonights virtual public meeting but through the grapevine I heard that the Union SQ branch will open first with Lechmere and Union SQ station in "Summer 2021", Medford branch comes later (expected but never announced afaik)

There was some chatter about the community path and I found the final design package for construction on the Friends of the Community Path FB page. May have been shared here before and I missed it. My big takeaway: This path is going to have some serious elevation changes. Especially after it passes Washington Street, it is rising and falling with every cross street intersection. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g1...p2ZW2iREFevGZlV0JpWyb0sU2P2gVZRjCcQpEnUlpmwkU

I didn't make it to tonights virtual public meeting but through the grapevine I heard that the Union SQ branch will open first with Lechmere and Union SQ station in "Summer 2021", Medford branch comes later (expected but never announced afaik)

That's been the case for some time, best I can tell. The 11-month Lechmere closure was announced back in 2019 as starting in spring 2020; since new Lechmere isn't provisioned as a terminal, it was going to have to be paired with East Somerville or (much more likely) Union Square, with the remainder opening later in 2021. Makes sense given the history of T openings - South Shore Line, Haymarket North Extension, infills on the Worcester and Fairmount lines, and SL service all opened in segments. Only the Old Colony Lines (which soft opened without weekend service) and the Southwest Corridor (no way to forgo Forest Hills service for longer than the weekend switchover) opened all in one go.

105421471_10157735743751608_4569896896577157366_o.jpg

Reminds me of the days when the Old Elevated along Washington Street was dismantled & the Orange Line moved over to the Southwest Corridor. Hah!! :)

anyone have any idea why they've kept that one span of the old viaduct up?

anyone have any idea why they've kept that one span of the old viaduct up?

I was wondering this too. I rode by yesterday and noticed a guy up there doing what seemed to be repairs on some of the rivets. I'm 100% certain my unskilled eyes were deceiving me and it was likely demo prep, but it's still strange that this section is still standing.

Back