Last edited:
Last edited:
A776891E-91B1-4F33-908C-09EE534FB049.jpeg
0190A028-A2C2-440E-9936-19C899F6F229.jpeg
1CDD9901-682A-4C02-BB64-2975DA63DE48.jpeg
B14DCAFE-B980-4187-BB81-2BB25C08450E.jpeg
28B34ADF-E871-4793-890B-BB75362E02D2.jpeg
F1BB225C-2080-4AF1-9FE3-8330783A7C58.jpeg

Interesting, I'll have to revisit the plans. The way that this is being constructed (but poorly photographed by me) it looks like they'll become steps from Prospect St.

I went and looked for you pg.335
Link

Theres better drawings somewhere on the site but I cant remember where I found them before.

So.... I
I went and looked for you pg.335
Link

Theres better drawings somewhere on the site but I cant remember where I found them before.
Here: There's a render, posted 1/30/2019.
union 1.PNG

union 2.PNG

That said, at least Union hasn't gotten wholesale redesigns like Ball.

There's this, which is still the face of GLX on the GLT project page, (I really liked this one)

GLX-rendering-Ball-Plaza.jpg

VE'd into this, from the technical specs linked above,

Ball 2.PNG

and This, what's actually being built.
Ball 1.PNG

One good reason not to tie into the Prospect St Bridge: We hope that the part right at the station will be totally rebuilt so that the GLX can be extended onward to Porter.

If they did tie in, it would likely need to have an elevator (not just stairs) and suddenly that's a lot of $ for setup that won't survive the GLX's long-term need to pass under Prospect.

What I like about these recent pictures by B-Line: they are the first time I've seen catenary-support structures (the tall H-Beams)
50077274521_99313de0b2_b.jpg

I don't think those are catenary support, I suspect they just haven't cut those piles off yet.

I don't think those are catenary support, I suspect they just haven't cut those piles off yet.

They actually are for OCS support. There are several retaining wall soldier piles on the green line side of the main corridor that will also support OCS as well.

They actually are for OCS support. There are several retaining wall soldier piles on the green line side of the main corridor that will also support OCS as well.
Where "OCS" == Overhead Contact System (what I was calling catenary*). Thank you for the confirmation. I was partly basing my belief that the height and spacing of the "too tall retaining wall beams" roughly matched the height and spacing of the yard's poles seen here (which were also heartening to see).
50077272936_d91db753d0_b.jpg

* Is catenary more "railroad speak" versus OCS being "transit speak"

I'd love to know this. I've used catenary in conversation with someone involved with this project and they looked at me funny. I didn't know "OCS," so I just went with "overhead wires" which was understood, but made it clearly I don't know what I'm talking about (along with probably everything else that came out of my mouth).

Where "OCS" == Overhead Contact System (what I was calling catenary*). Thank you for the confirmation. I was partly basing my belief that the height and spacing of the "too tall retaining wall beams" roughly matched the height and spacing of the yard's poles seen here (which were also heartening to see).
50077272936_d91db753d0_b.jpg

They're exactly the same. OCS is the more technical term, as in what the engineer-speak schematics and part numbers refer to. Public usually only sees it referenced in study docs.

Cat is the layman's term you see the other 97% of the time.

As for which term is misused enough by foamers to get you an automatic RR.net ban from a grammar Nazi moderator...no idea. I don't think mixing your cats and OCS's is seen as nearly the same level crime against humanity as interchanging "operator" with "motorman". :unsure:

I'm glad to have the etymology discussion! I think the true layperson calls it "the wires" :)

And Catenary is, of all the wires, better applied to the "hanger wires" (which have a visible catenary shape) as opposed to the contact wires which appear straight and horizontal (even though, physically, they too have a sag).

Back