Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

The mcgrath highway bridge over the bike path is pretty iconic. They should give it a nice new coat of paint to freshen it up. I never really thought about it, but it seems pretty rare to have a truss bridge of this size and style over land like that. Pretty cool that we got not one but two truss bridges over land in a row with the cross street bridge in front of it.

Great to know, why did they not replace them a month ago? This is not rocket science, and it’s not a “hey, it’s no big deal” thing, either. This is exactly the stuff that matters. Appearance and signage and attention to basic detail matter. A lot. And this is not something that ever, ever would have happened in any city in any other country. It’s so simple and basic that the fact that it didn’t happen speaks volumes about the depth of leadership and management lack at this organization.

My favorite example of a severely outdated map that is actually in a visible/semi- well trafficked location is the one at Aquarium, within the headhouse right next to the Marriott Long Wharf by the elevator. This photo is from today (1/7):
AQ_BL_map.jpg

That map is over 22 years old.

It is really sad that we have a substantial line extension opening and there are still a ton of outdated maps all around the system. I was just at park street and numerous ones around the red line platform there do not show GLX. Plenty of other examples abound.

My favorite example of a severely outdated map that is actually in a visible/semi- well trafficked location is the one at Aquarium, within the headhouse right next to the Marriott Long Wharf by the elevator. This photo is from today (1/7):
View attachment 32753

That map is over 22 years old.

It is really sad that we have a substantial line extension opening and there are still a ton of outdated maps all around the system. I was just at park street and numerous ones around the red line platform there do not show GLX. Plenty of other examples abound.
It's abysmal.

The only outdated maps I do miss, though, are the ones that used to be along the main trunk of the Green Line (both T-as-a-whole maps, as well as the Green Line only maps), and showed the "temporarily closed" E / Arborway Line. These were around until not too long ago, at least into the 2010's. As long as those were around, I held up hope. When they took the maps down, and especially once they removed the tracks and loop at "Arborway Station" during the Casey project, the dream was gone.

I don't think converting the emergency exit at Tufts would shorten the walk from Medford hillside - the ramps are windy and switchback-y enough that from street to platform it would probably be faster to walk the extra block or so to the main entrance and then just get the stairs. Actually making the secondary exit useful would require the installation of at least one elevator.

Really? Can’t claim the ramps at Med/Tufts as accessible for everyday use?

The mcgrath highway bridge over the bike path is pretty iconic. They should give it a nice new coat of paint to freshen it up.

I've been waiting... 17 years (since I moved to the 'ville) for them to actually repaint that damn bridge. I know they've done spot touch-ups during that time, but it really needs a complete re-fresh.

Everytime I'm stopped in traffic over that bridge I have to cross my fingers / pray that the bridge doesn't decide to collapse when I'm parked on it.

It's a time-honored Massachusetts tradition to have rusty bridges.

Its so weird how in this state we build a brand new bridge/train station etc, do absolutely no maintenance whatsoever and just let it deteriorate over years and years until its no longer structurally sound, then demolish it and build something brand new from scratch.

If we just spent the money on paint and corrosion control these structures could last many decades longer than they do, and it would be much cheaper in the long run.

It's a time-honored Massachusetts tradition to have rusty bridges.
Someone posted on here years ago that bridge paint is supposed to rust, and that that doesn’t mean anything re the bridge’s integrity. Don’t know if that’s true but I remember reading it here.

Its so weird how in this state we build a brand new bridge/train station etc, do absolutely no maintenance whatsoever and just let it deteriorate over years and years until its no longer structurally sound, then demolish it and build something brand new from scratch.

If we just spent the money on paint and corrosion control these structures could last many decades longer than they do, and it would be much cheaper in the long run.

Infrastructure is a political exercise. New infrastructure makes for better campaign fodder than a fresh coat of paint. To fix the imbalance, we need to disconnect infrastructure funding from politics. However, that will never happen.

Someone posted on here years ago that bridge paint is supposed to rust, and that that doesn’t mean anything re the bridge’s integrity. Don’t know if that’s true but I remember reading it here.
This isn’t accurate. Typical bridge paint can’t rust, but a chip in it exposes the steel which can lead to rust. Surface rusting isn’t really a big deal but it is still corrosion and will continue to spread if not chipped and painted over eventually. What you really need to start worrying about with steel bridges is section loss (i.e. holes) that will reduce the capacity of the member.

I took my kid to the Aquarium yesterday, and it looked like not one single map that was not actually on the GLX was updated. That's just inexcusable.

Back