Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

There should be a countdown board at the station entrances so folks don’t have to go all the way down to the platform to see there’s a 20min wait.
There is, at least at Magoun. It's annoyingly placed so you have to walk ~20ft into the station to see it, but you don't have to get to the platform for estimated times.

Interestingly, Somerville decided to include a Route 16 terminus for the GLX on all of their Bike Network plan maps.
1681922713121.png

There's a regular countdown sign outside the College Ave entrance to Davis that used to give arrival times for the trains, but they repurposed it for the buses.

There should be a countdown board at the station entrances so folks don’t have to go all the way down to the platform to see there’s a 20min wait.

It is notable that in a different universe, this matter would be moot because there should never be a +20 minute wait for the next train during operational hours - ever. But yeah, we're not in that universe and given things like estimated time just to restore the slow-zoned Blue Line that suddenly started after being the last holdout back to slow-zone-less is November with 7PM rail shutdowns shows this is essentially the new normal for years at best, for the foreseeable future for likely outcomes, and I’m not even going to pronounce what's possible for the worse case.

In other words, we sadly need this because headway sucks so bad that we need this so at least people can balk to their cars without the additional insult of the time lost getting to the platform.

Last edited:
At least for me, a more useful real-time update would be "Are the closed community path sections breachable?" It is now getting to roughly 75% of the time you hit up one of the segments between Lowell St and School St and the fences have been pushed aside. But you're never sure if the fencing on the opposite end of the segment is also open. And it seems like the segments from Walnut Street on to Cambridge Crossing are more fortified and re-secured in general.

Jackhammering up the concrete path between the current terminus and Somerville Junction today. I guess they finally noticed that concrete was badly spalled.

Jackhammering up the concrete path between the current terminus and Somerville Junction today. I guess they finally noticed that concrete was badly spalled.
I poached the section between Central and Lowell with my kids and some elderly women last week and I was super surprised at how bad concrete section looked. Not surprised they have a team in there fixing it up now.

Major update: They painted the lane divide on a short concrete section of the School-to-Sycamore section. Punch that punch list!

and they painted a new tiny cross walk across Chester ave where the Cross st. entrance is.
There's no plans for a cross walk across cross street. (say that ten times backwards)

"mid-June" opening according to Somerville City Councilor, Jake Wilson

Yeah, the streetsblog article linked on the website quotes an MBTA spokesperson:

"All areas of the project were designed to be within compliance of all ADA requirements. It is not uncommon after construction is complete to discover small areas that are not in full compliance due to construction tolerances. There are two such short areas that have been identified by the project’s Quality Control procedures. The contractor’s repair plan has been approved by the MBTA."

I wish they'd provide some more details... but also, feels like the bare minimum is being put towards accessibility... but what else is new.

Not to let the MBTA off the hook for shoddy station design, but there is (was?) and app that provides that info.

Back