Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Saw this on my walk into Union Sq this morning, thought it was hilariously general... "5/2018 to 9/2021"

JTJwE73.png

Ha! Shared your image to New Urbanist Memes for Transit-Oriented Teens. I found the broad time frame very amusing.

Saw this on my walk into Union Sq this morning, thought it was hilariously general... "5/2018 to 9/2021"
It is hilariously general for roadside variable message signs, but I'd say refreshingly specific and helpful compared to the old school "your tax dollars at work" or the usual Governor/Mayor/Secretary/Board/Engineer list of bigwigs.

Since it isn't a "traffic now" or "construction soon" sign, we'd have to say it is purely a "political" message (in the sense of being related to we, as a polity make policy)

As a political message, it says:
1) ITS HAPPENING (picture Ron Paul meme here)
2) When does it start (May 2018)
3) When will we get there (Sept 2021)

That's way more useful than the usual placard of bigwigs and funding sources (which often omit target completion dates...although, I suppose, a promised completion date from a VMS is less binding than paint-on-plywood)

JTJwE73.png

In todays weather: rain followed by sun. Followed by darkness. After that, some light.

All kinds of vegetation and trash is being cleared up and down the right of way, often in conjunction with soil testing rigs and survey work.

Derenzo is not one of the GLX contractors, and it’s on the far side of the service drive at the school.

Is Middlesex a contractor? There's some equipment from them along the Lowell line. In addition, there is a bunch of equipment that has a temporary white plastic "GLX Constructors" sign on them, with a symbol of a green line car and everything; still not sure what company they're from, I'll try to pick it out one of these days. I'd say they've commenced on ROW clearing and some preliminary grade work, at least...

They have pulled the old fourth track from the ROW, and they’re doing a bunch of grubbing. The current end of the bike path had a nice view of the work.

Is Middlesex a contractor? There's some equipment from them along the Lowell line. In addition, there is a bunch of equipment that has a temporary white plastic "GLX Constructors" sign on them, with a symbol of a green line car and everything; still not sure what company they're from, I'll try to pick it out one of these days. I'd say they've commenced on ROW clearing and some preliminary grade work, at least...

yes

http://www.av20170164.com/team.html

Something I noticed watching the video of the expansion to Medford is that its essentially going to perform just like a subway. There are no at grade crossings it just stays on its own dedicated track so this end of the green line will be much better performing than the southern portion where you have to wait at red lights and theres a ton of at grade crossings. The stations are also much more spaced out on this new northern leg so your not stopping every 45 seconds at a dozen stations either. This looks like its going to be extremely well performing for a leg of the green line and it will essentially be like riding the red line just on smaller cars. All this means that this portion will be much faster since there are less stations, they are more spaced out, there are no at grade crossings, red lights, traffic, so its going to be just like riding one of the true subway lines. Looks great.

^ which is why they saw the need for fare gates and 4-car platforms (before going with POP fare system to save on station costs)

Can't watch the video yet, but I thought that was in the City of Boston's 2030 plan?

It was an outside advocacy group that was working on it. Secretary Pollock was VERY involved before she became secretary. Since then though, I'm not sure anything else has happened? She hasn't really spoken about it since.

I dont remember hearing about extending the green line on the other end down south huntington to centre st. Anyone know whats up with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v00qSzU8cnU

Much needed, IMO. Centre Street is great, but JP needs a real square, where multiple commercial corridors connect to create a real sense of place. With the parking lots at the 7-11, Whole Foods, and the animal hospital, Hyde Square has a lot of build potential.

Back