Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

The platform is half poured. The tented portion isn’t poured yet, so they’re protecting the rebar from the snow.

What project work can take place while there's snow on the ground? Have there been any electrical/signaling systems put in yet that could be tested?

I'm pretty sure snow doesn't affect progress that much, other than taking the time to clear it. What's more of a problem is when the ground freezes.

I'm pretty sure snow doesn't affect progress that much, other than taking the time to clear it. What's more of a problem is when the ground freezes.

Correct. Ground freeze is the unofficial end of construction season. Hence the need to expedite concrete pours before end of the year.

What project work can take place while there's snow on the ground? Have there been any electrical/signaling systems put in yet that could be tested?

If they've buried any cable conduit trenches under the manicured ROW yet this is ideal time to start laying down spools of cable. Nothing's hooked up yet, but they've got several miles worth of electrical and comm fiber to lay so winter's an ideal season for the electricians to dominate the daily itinerary.

This looks like a milestone! Concrete forms in place to connect!!
mr 12-18-20 (2).JPG

I think that I'm lost, but where on earth will this extention connect to in town? Will it be from between North Station & Science Park? The same way as when it was just to Lechmere?

Last edited:
I think that I'm lost, but where on earth will this extention connect in town? Will it be from between North Station & Science Park? The same way as when it was just to Lechmere?
Yes, the connection is through a new Lechmere Station in Cambridge Crossing, then onto the viaduct to Science Park, North Station, etc.

I think that I'm lost, but where on earth will this extention connect to in town? Will it be from between North Station & Science Park? The same way as when it was just to Lechmere?

They moved the Lechmere station north across the McGrath Highway and this new line will simply be extended northwest from the new station.

Thanks, everyone!!

So, going outbound, all the stops will be brand new, includingthe rebuilt Lechmere Station, right?!!

I haven't actually seen a map of it all before, and it's just dawning on me that they're making two lines lines out of it.

What are the chances of them continuing the line from Union up to Porter eventually?

GLX Porter was clearly on advocates minds when they insisted that USq/Fitchburg Line get its own flying junction and station (that were not part of the original "to Medford Hillside" commitment).

At this point it is just another "xLX" along with other "easy" extensions like BLX, OLX.

Only GLX to MVP/UHaul and Red Blue Connector are more real in having advanced to partial design.

I haven't actually seen a map of it all before, and it's just dawning on me that they're making two lines lines out of it.

What are the chances of them continuing the line from Union up to Porter eventually?
Pretty good, though not for another decade or so. F-Line has a great series of posts on the Crazy Transit Pitches thread showing his layout for the extension via Porter Square all the way to Watertown Square at http://archboston.com/community/threads/crazy-transit-pitches.3664/post-388462

Back