Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Does anyone know when the extension will start to appear on maps? I remember the Assembly stop was shown as "Opening Fall 2014" or something while it was under construction. Will they show the extension as under construction on maps before it opens, I wonder?

Does anyone know when the extension will start to appear on maps? I remember the Assembly stop was shown as "Opening Fall 2014" or something while it was under construction. Will they show the extension as under construction on maps before it opens, I wonder?

I think the station is already listed on the new OL trains. Not sure about the old ones.

I think the station is already listed on the new OL trains. Not sure about the old ones.
A single station? Why would they go through all the effort of just putting one station on the map for the time being when they'll just have to add the rest by the end of the year anyways?

A single station? Why would they go through all the effort of just putting one station on the map for the time being when they'll just have to add the rest by the end of the year anyways?

I think @Jahvon09 is talking about Assembly which is listed on all Orange Line maps at this point. I don't believe any of the GLX stations are listed on maps yet.

I think it was already Q&A'd at some prior GLX meetings that they have a sticker design ready for the last 2-4 generations of officially-versioned spider maps where the sticker would be seamlessly affixed off Lechmere. Therefore there's no need to jump the gun with a "coming attractions" 'tweener map re-release when the in-situ ones in largest share of the map frame slots can be restickered at-will very close to the opening date with a straightforward new 'active' appendage off Lechmere. It was different for Assembly because the resticker job for the infill would've placed the name text for it so scrunched up in between Wellington and Sullivan as to negatively impact readability on a lot of maps. And at least as the post-'03ish version-numbered maps go, map readability is dashed-line regulated under the ADA and MAAB so there were limits to how kludgy they were willing to get shivving in map edits where there was limited room.

The bigger question is how they'll handle the barely-regulated slew of older-than- 15-18 years maps still all over the system...where already total anti-consistency anarchy rules on what hasn't been updated. Think of all the GL branch spider maps still showing each and every one of the suspended Arborway stops. That's going to be a far bigger and longer-term mess to clean up than the 21st c. versioned spider maps that can all be brought up to spec with a few weeks' worth of restickering blitz. While the ongoing station "brightening" programs are taking care of some of the non-compatible map backlog, there's probably going to need to be a much more comprehensive systemwide re-signing campaign to clean out the glut of last-century maps or square-peg obsolete map designs that aren't amenable to seamless restickering. It *appears* that the T has already done the legwork of systematically inventorying all of their maps, including bus stops and outer CR stations (some of which may depict obsolete subway signage), and now has complete internal datasets on exactly what type of map new/old/orthodox/unorthodox takes up every invididual slot at every individual station property. Now they're just going to have to load up for resources to go on a systemwide 'consistency' bender, taking the Brightening program to nth-degree completism. Because it's not the 21st c. spider maps pre-built for stickering that are going to confuse people; those will be taken care of quickly. It's anything/everything else from 2000 and earlier still malingering in a map slot, plus any number of short-lived map schemes not-amenable to edits that are going to continue to confuse in death-by-thousand-cuts fashion if they aren't cleanroomed by picking out every outlier needle in the whole systemwide haystack.

Last edited:
I think it was already Q&A'd at some prior GLX meetings that they have a sticker design ready for the last 2-4 generations of officially-versioned spider maps where the sticker would be seamlessly affixed off Lechmere. Therefore there's no need to jump the gun with a "coming attractions" 'tweener map re-release when the in-situ ones in largest share of the map frame slots can be restickered at-will very close to the opening date with a straightforward new 'active' appendage off Lechmere.

I would also make the case that adding "under construction" stops to that end of the GL since they're already shuttling passengers between N. Station and Lechmere while they work on the viaduct is unhelpful and potentially confusing.

4522F199-0FA6-4ECC-B6C5-B6C0547C9A77.jpeg
DAB01D91-F8DE-4926-8E19-D118E9C7F001.jpeg
1AA31B9D-4BF6-4BE0-8643-B6EBF48131CD.jpeg
4522F199-0FA6-4ECC-B6C5-B6C0547C9A77.jpeg

How do they transport the ribbon rail that length? Was it by train?

How do they transport the ribbon rail that length? Was it by train?

Special-handling flatcars that thread the welded rail length across a whole interconnected freight lash-up, and then some onboard machinery that places it on the railbed for the install site. Can also pick it up off the ground from a drop spot to move into position for final installation, and pick up a long length of old/discarded welded rail to load onto the train for disposal.

Looks something like this. . .

RAIL-TRAIN-UP-Reniek-MO.jpg

GLX ribbons are much smaller...about 800 ft. max instead of 1500-2000 ft. for Commuter Rail..because once the corridor is sealed by fence the only way they'll be able to do rail replacement is via the Green Line itself with a significantly shorter rapid transit-compatible version of similar rail train lash-up.

I would also make the case that adding "under construction" stops to that end of the GL since they're already shuttling passengers between N. Station and Lechmere while they work on the viaduct is unhelpful and potentially confusing.

I think they've done that at times. They'd be listed as UC.

Where do they bring that lash-up onto the property? Riverside?
Or Brickbottom. Lots and lots of flatbed deliveries, though theoretically a shove up Riverside Jct. from the Worcester Line can do the job. In most cases replacement rapid transit welded rail comes in max 200 ft. ribbon chunks and more onsite welding is required for the installation to net an 800 ft. length. You simply can't turn a rail train longer than 200 through some of the curves.

Loram is the leading vendor of specialized diesel rail train critters for RR and rapid transit. Those critters get passed around on lend-lease with none self-owned.

Last edited:
Interesting how the Green Line tracks (in opposing directions) are a lot closer together than the CR tracks.

Back