Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

The D branch will go to Union Square and the E branch will go to Medford/Tufts. No new route designations will be introduced as part of GLX.

Does make me wonder if we're going to see letters before the eastbound (northbound) destinations on the Type 7s and Type 8s (as I recall, the Type 9s already do that, or at least have the capacity to).

So what letter will the new GLX line be given to the very end of it? I'm thinking maybe F. All the letters before that are already taken. :unsure:
There was literally a discussion about this in the posts directly above you...

Not to mention, what other letter would it have even been if it was a new letter...? A-E are all taken. Of course it would have been F.

The E branch is eternally bunched....
D branch is moderately better...
But neither are anything close to consistent compared to the Blue Line
Ok, but how are the B & C? (since GLX's question is which of B, C, D, E should go beyond North Station)

Top secret testing train from Duznoxist Transportation Research...
FLine.jpg

I assume the Herzog MPM work train has left the area, given that most of the ROW has the fence up. Has anyone seen it recently?

Also, Nubian is the new name for Dudley Square. :unsure:
F-line to Dudley… in the FUTURE!
I’d like to see the silver line get supplanted by new LRV service to Boylston via that old Pleasant Street incline straight through Northbound to Lechmere before at splitting off at the Inner Belt drop, down to on the low side of Sullivan Square, over the repurposed CR bridge, around the produce yards in Everett to…CHELSEA!

F-line to Dudley… in the FUTURE!
I’d like to see the silver line get supplanted by new LRV service to Boylston via that old Pleasant Street incline straight through Northbound to Lechmere before at splitting off at the Inner Belt drop, down to on the low side of Sullivan Square, over the repurposed CR bridge, around the produce yards in Everett to…CHELSEA!

Have you seen the Green Line Reconfiguration thread? Lots of good stuff there.

Essentially you're describing what the Silver Line Washington Street should have been built as in the first place, usually referred to around here as the F-Line (sharing the moniker with a very knowledgeable and prolific member) along with the northwest quadrant of the Urban Ring (a mothballed official project, though the real-world version was proposed as BRT, which was the style at the time). [Since I'm not certain of your familiarity with those discussions here, I'm just summarizing for anyone who might not have read through the various threads on these topics.]

Both of those projects live somewhere in the grey area between Reasonable and Crazy transit pitches; there's nothing particularly difficult or unreasonable about either, but they're big enough and lacking enough in official support that we shouldn't expect to see them on the immediate horizon (though if the next governor is someone better on transportation than Baker, which is admittedly not hard, that could change, I suppose).

I'd be pretty surprised to see the service pattern go from Nubian through the Central Subway directly out to the Urban Ring/Everett/Chelsea. Depends on the line/terminal assignments, but the F-Line isn't going to be grade separated like the D-Line (I don't know if there's room for a reservation, but dedicated bus/LRV lanes at least approximate it). Maybe some of the cars would, but I suspect in an Urban Ring world we'd see a lot more use of my own namesake, the Brattle Loop, for cars from the Ring and north and a lot more cross-platform transfers than we do now.

Have you seen the Green Line Reconfiguration thread? Lots of good stuff there.

Essentially you're describing what the Silver Line Washington Street should have been built as in the first place, usually referred to around here as the F-Line (sharing the moniker with a very knowledgeable and prolific member) along with the northwest quadrant of the Urban Ring (a mothballed official project, though the real-world version was proposed as BRT, which was the style at the time). [Since I'm not certain of your familiarity with those discussions here, I'm just summarizing for anyone who might not have read through the various threads on these topics.]

Both of those projects live somewhere in the grey area between Reasonable and Crazy transit pitches; there's nothing particularly difficult or unreasonable about either, but they're big enough and lacking enough in official support that we shouldn't expect to see them on the immediate horizon (though if the next governor is someone better on transportation than Baker, which is admittedly not hard, that could change, I suppose).

I'd be pretty surprised to see the service pattern go from Nubian through the Central Subway directly out to the Urban Ring/Everett/Chelsea. Depends on the line/terminal assignments, but the F-Line isn't going to be grade separated like the D-Line (I don't know if there's room for a reservation, but dedicated bus/LRV lanes at least approximate it). Maybe some of the cars would, but I suspect in an Urban Ring world we'd see a lot more use of my own namesake, the Brattle Loop, for cars from the Ring and north and a lot more cross-platform transfers than we do now.
Yes. I’m familiar.
BRT ≠ LRV
It’s the Silver Lie, sheeple.

Where is F-line these days? He’s a wonks wonk if there ever was one.

I really would like to see an F-Line to Nubian someday. It’s bullshit that the Orange Line route was never fully replaced. Brown people get screwed out of trains and screwed into buses. Equity isn’t just the name of a profit hungry property company, it’s something that needs to exist in every corner of our planning and building process.

Where is F-line these days? He’s a wonks wonk if there ever was one.

He's known to take sabbaticals from here from time to time. (Could well still be lurking, that's happened too.)

I really would like to see an F-Line to Nubian someday. It’s bullshit that the Orange Line route was never fully replaced. Brown people get screwed out of trains and screwed into buses. Equity isn’t just the name of a profit hungry property company, it’s something that needs to exist in every corner of our planning and building process.

Especially bad that the inferior replacement in the form of the SL Washington Street got stapled to SL Seaport, meaning that it never even worked properly because Phase III collapsed under its own weight of cost-exploding design decisions. Don't get me wrong, BRT was always the wrong choice, but at least if Phase III had been built there would have been direct, inside-fare-collection Green, Orange, and Red transfers (and direct Seaport, Airport, and these days Chelsea access, some possibly requiring on-platform bus changes).

I assume the Herzog MPM work train has left the area, given that most of the ROW has the fence up. Has anyone seen it recently?

Apparently seen in East Deerfield Ma 11/26/2021

Neat. I think they have multiple MPMs (GLX had XIII, I think) so it might be a two MPM state.

Back