Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I’d guess helicopters (like other aircraft) have no special rights until they are 1000’ up. Anyone know?

I’d guess helicopters (like other aircraft) have no special rights until they are 1000’ up. Anyone know?

I can't answer your question for sure, but I know for a fact that consumer drones/UAVs are legally restricted to flying under 400' due to concerns about interfering with helicopter or plane traffic, so any special rights for helicopters or planes would seemingly begin at 400'.

No clue as to whether that would apply in any way when it comes to buildings, however.

From a quick perusal, Argent v. US seems to say 1,000 feet in congested areas and 500 feet elsewhere. However that explicitly is for fixed-wing aircraft, and the FAA says that helicopters can operate lower and closer to buildings because of their operating envelope.

The current Logan airspace map has a ~500 foot height limit in the Brickbottom area. That may mean that helicopters would have an easier time in that area by staying under 500 feet, but I have no idea.

I do suspect that, aside from zoning and broad restrictions like the Logan airspace, a property owner's rights to build would win over aircraft rights of passage. However, I do also suspect that Mr. Chambers would put in effort to avoid his flight path being blocked.

A view of New Lechmere with a fresh coat of snow:
New Lechmere snow 2022-01-07.jpg

Someone should show that to a Brickbottom resident and record the reaction. It would probably make a nice Boston NIMBY meme.

Does anybody know if the monthly GLX Community Working Group is done? They haven’t held one since November and none have been scheduled. Kinda funny they celebrated 48 months of consecutive meetings at the November one, then canceled the December one and apparently aren’t having more meetings.

Does anybody know if the monthly GLX Community Working Group is done? They haven’t held one since November and none have been scheduled. Kinda funny they celebrated 48 months of consecutive meetings at the November one, then canceled the December one and apparently aren’t having more meetings.
I was just thinking the same thing. It seems those meetings are the only way to get updates--albeit a month delayed once they post the minutes of the previous meeting. It was a good way to keep the pressure on them to answer the questions that seem to have received shifting answers every month:
- When are the Gilman Square bridges reopening? This has gone from last summer to "end of 2021" to, anecdotally, once the whole project is done. They have not publicly responded to this question now for three monhts.
- When is the community path opening? This has alternated between "when service begins" to "several months after service begins."
- Is the project still on its (revised) schedule?

Good find. Thanks! Once again, Gilman Square will be the weakest link in this chain. This latest report has Gilman as the only station with "an extensive amount of construction" left to do. Despite Medford St Bridge looking like it will reopen soon, this report says it will be "in the next few months" which is discouragingly vague.

That is discouraging. But I’m still hoping bold optimism will magically make it open faster. :)

I have to wonder if we'll see East Somerville station open before the rest of the Medford Branch. It would give two-line service to Lechmere (thus improving things for those riding buses to Lechmere), and give better carhouse access for the E than the Union Square Branch. (The E is planned to temporarily run to US until Medford Branch testing begins, so that it has access to a carhouse. The US Branch only has carhouse access on the outbound track, while the Medford Branch has access on both tracks.) Before the project was re-bid, the plan was for East Somerville to open before the rest of the Medford Branch by several years.

Back