Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Ok so google maps now shows union square properly, but still some issues on lechmere
C22CCCEC-EC11-430C-8D81-3CCE9899B6D0.jpeg
4C958FED-CD92-4B9F-89DE-C91ED0DBEC6F.jpeg

Last edited:
They also say this is the only option for magstripe CharlieTickets... How on earth are they going to validate those fares? The on-board fareboxes printing out validation receipts? Asking the driver if they saw you pay?

Excellent question. More and more I'm suspecting they thought AFC 2.0 would be ready by the time the GLX opened and thought they wouldn't have any problem deleting the faregates. Can the fareboxes even print anything?

Wellington? The station map to the left only lists 3 stations in the outbound direction (and that's towards Oak Grove as seen from the placement of blue and red lines).
Unless I'm very mistaken, as I haven't paid much attention to them in years, the inbound/ outbound directional strip maps in stations still have the station you're currently standing in shown to provide a point of reference. In that case, Wellington being the 3rd OL station counting from Oak Grove would confirm this ID.

Edit: see this map shown at Central for an example of what I'm on about.
Screenshot_20220319-011304_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent question. More and more I'm suspecting they thought AFC 2.0 would be ready by the time the GLX opened and thought they wouldn't have any problem deleting the faregates. Can the fareboxes even print anything?
Oh yes they made it very clear in the early community working group meetings that AFC 2 would be ready and that's why there would be no need for them to include fare validation equipment or gates. Why they don't just treat it like the rest of the surface green line I don't really understand

edit: great point below, I totally forgot these are island platforms

Last edited:
Oh yes they made it very clear in the early community working group meetings that AFC 2 would be ready and that's why there would be no need for them to include fare validation equipment or gates. Why they don't just treat it like the rest of the surface green line I don't really understand

These are island platforms, so they can't do front-door-boarding like on the rest of the green line.

“The emergency lights are flashing red,” said Ben Ewen-Campen, a city councilor whose district includes Union Square.

Back