Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

ACDA296B-9281-4850-A78A-F709E810F22E.jpeg
E1A48D59-EA3E-4550-859B-D77E37E4E5B7.jpeg
CFF1C4FD-C122-4ADE-8FBB-B3FEC2456F4F.jpeg
AAE66293-D5BA-41E5-8EF5-699EACFE2F58.jpeg
9E4B9E4C-B1B0-4F7D-A8DB-1DE2BEEBF384.jpeg
4926E60C-251D-4568-B848-AAD85D79CB98.jpeg

And it being on the ground level is, honestly, notable too.

Call me fat, because I am, but I hate stairs. Sure, it has elevators, but no way it has the capacity to make up for the escalator.

Regardless of my own preferences, I believe that "minimizing friction" is an important ideal. Every little annoyance, however small, adds up - in this case, there will be some X amount of people turned off from Lechmere station because of stairs.

Is it lazy? Yes. Does that change that less people would use it than if escalators were there? I don't think so.
I think its about unappealing entrance as Science Park

Why on earth would you not place the platform further west so you don't have that long exposed walk to the station? Is it to provide a storage area for cars at the end if needed?
Precisely. Additionally, platforms are built to accommodate 2 car Type 10 consists.

I would hope, that the added space would allow the station to stay in operation if they ever extend to Porter.

I did my little happy dance this morning, in recognition of the many many years where it appeared that we would never see this day (or at least not within this generation). 100 years after subway-originating streetcars began terminating at Lechmere, trains are now (once again) running beyond into Somerville.

My self-imposed obligation to notice the ways the glass is half-full now out of the way, the cynic can come out: any bets on when the T will update the maps on its website? https://www.mbta.com/schedules

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 9.58.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 9.58.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 9.58.48 AM.png

I can't believe Commonwealth Magazine. It's almost a tease that their headline story image indicates the A line. Not once have I seen the A line mentioned in any story regarding GLX. I don't know why but I think it's mean. I take it as "can we now stop complaining about losing the A-line now that we gave you this other extension". Am I reading into it to much?
green.png

You were a bit earlier than me!
You look excited.

Isn’t this nice, though? A thread of happiness and optimism instead of the usual doom and gloom surrounding the T!

And I’m sure that the T will make the necessary modifications over time. Give them a chance. Okay, wow. I’m defending the T. I could almost pass for an adult.

Last edited:
Did the new tracks seem like they were operating faster between Science Park and Lechmere? And how is the speed for the section into Union?

Did the new tracks seem like they were operating faster between Science Park and Lechmere? And how is the speed for the section into Union?
First question: no, the train did not run fast on the viaduct at all. I'm pretty sure the viaduct section was still slower than it used to be when I was first riding over it in the late 80s. The entire stretch between Science Park and the end of the flying junction was pretty slow. But then it did pick up some speed on the straight away between there and Union Square.

Back