Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Porter would be nice, but it doesn't achieve much that the system doesn't already provide. There are several more valuable expansions that should be ahead of it in line.
I agree that there are higher priorities. But what GLXX to Porter provides is CAPACITY and Network Redundancy -- the ability to offload some Red Line traffic through Cambridge. Red is pretty maxed out in the core Cambridge stops.

I agree that there are higher priorities. But what GLXX to Porter provides is CAPACITY and Network Redundancy -- the ability to offload some Red Line traffic through Cambridge. Red is pretty maxed out in the core Cambridge stops.

it also provides access for red line and CR riders to Union and Cambridge crossing employment centers, conversely provides access for green line riders to Harvard and alewife. It’s just a great connection bc porter has CR and red, no tunneling needed…

it also provides access for red line and CR riders to Union and Cambridge crossing employment centers, conversely provides access for green line riders to Harvard and alewife. It’s just a great connection bc porter has CR and red, no tunneling needed…
There would be some tunneling needed as GLXX approaches Porter Square. You either tunnel under Somerville Ave or tunnel directly under the current 2 track commuter rail line.

There are multiple posts about the logistical gotchas for the GLX Porter extension. TL; DR: it isn’t impossible, but there are multiple projects that are closer to fruition.

I came across this the other day and am still reading and digesting, but it's an interesting insight into Red Line/Green Line early extension planning: http://www.wearethethinktank.org/readers/reader-vol4-appendix.pdf

An interesting tidbit on page 36 mentions:
...It was proposed that Red Line rolling stock be equipped with pantographs for for overhead power pickup for use on the Fitchburg and Lexington lines, with access to downtown Boston via a Red Line tunnel extension from H arvard Square to Alewife Brook Parkway. Green Line equipment would be used via Lechmere on the New Hampshire line and between Lechmere and Alewife Brook Parkway on the Fitchburg line.

I came across this the other day and am still reading and digesting, but it's an interesting insight into Red Line/Green Line early extension planning: http://www.wearethethinktank.org/readers/reader-vol4-appendix.pdf

More of a crazy transit pitch but this seems like this points to tram-trains on the GLX. Tram from downtown to Union Sq. then beyond Union Sq. run on CR tracks or in the ROW to Waltham or Brandeis at higher speeds with more spaced stops. Same for Medford/Tufts to Anderson RTC.

Yeah this is kinda redundant with 15min regional rail and would require a bit of an infrastructure upgrade and more new rolling stock but I think it would work well for the areas served by these inner portions of these lines. It would answer the urban rail question for the Lowell Line at a possibly cheaper cost and could allow faster travel times for the outer Fitchburg Line by bypassing Waverly and Belmont on some trips. That might make achieving 15min regional rail to outer stations easier.

I modeled this idea off the Karlsruhe S-Bahn

More of a crazy transit pitch but this seems like this points to tram-trains on the GLX. Tram from downtown to Union Sq. then beyond Union Sq. run on CR tracks or in the ROW to Waltham or Brandeis at higher speeds with more spaced stops. Same for Medford/Tufts to Anderson RTC.

Yeah this is kinda redundant with 15min regional rail and would require a bit of an infrastructure upgrade and more new rolling stock but I think it would work well for the areas served by these inner portions of these lines. It would answer the urban rail question for the Lowell Line at a possibly cheaper cost and could allow faster travel times for the outer Fitchburg Line by bypassing Waverly and Belmont on some trips. That might make achieving 15min regional rail to outer stations easier.

I'd think the mainline ROW to Waltham has some single-track limitations and can't support the same frequencies as GLX. Not to mention incompatibilities between electrification voltage, etc. Better off just electrifying the main-line and put real 15-min regional rail on the track.

Can't. The wheel profile on LRT is different from the wheel profile on a RR, so they can't coexist at full speed on the same track without much-heightened derailment risk. Plus there's no FRA-compliant tram-trains in existence, so it's impossible on crashworthiness. Finally, as @sneijder notes, rapid transit's 600V DC electrification is incompatible with commuter rail/Amtrak's 25kV AC electrification.

The wrong color paint, don't do a complete job of covering the graffiti and why couldn't they just paint the whole beam? The partial paint job looks worst than the graffiti. Why doesn't anyone give a $h!te about doing a good job? Maintenance gonna maintenance.

IMG_0343.JPG

The wrong color paint, don't do a complete job of covering the graffiti and why couldn't they just paint the whole beam? The partial paint job looks worst than the graffiti. Why doesn't anyone give a $h!te about doing a good job? Maintenance gonna maintenance.

View attachment 33691
It's just part of the time-honored Mass tradition of having bridges look like they're about ready to fall apart.

On the path. Which I haven't seen any work on in a month or 6 weeks, and looks complete...
“There’s some punch list items we’re still working through. It is almost done, but it is not done yet. Right now, we can safely say that we will be opening up this spring, fingers crossed.”
It's going to take 4 months from when the GLX opened!!!
This is what all those earlier posts were about
this is insane.

On the path. Which I haven't seen any work on in a month or 6 weeks, and looks complete...
“There’s some punch list items we’re still working through. It is almost done, but it is not done yet. Right now, we can safely say that we will be opening up this spring, fingers crossed.”
this is insane.
What?

I'd think the mainline ROW to Waltham has some single-track limitations and can't support the same frequencies as GLX.
What I’d understood from some other discussions in the forums is that GLX further to Kent St. or even Porter is doable but it looks like the same ROW or larger up until just East of Waltham. I’m definitely missing something here and wondering out of curiosity where the restrictions are or if it’s the whole segment of the line that doesn’t have enough ROW.
Not to mention incompatibilities between electrification voltage, etc. Better off just electrifying the main-line and put real 15-min regional rail on the track.
That’s the primary big rolling stock/infrastructure thing that makes this very much a ‘crazy transit pitch’. I know it’s possible to have two different voltages of caternary offset from each other on the same line but that requires very unique trains making that tram-train option just a thought.
Can't. The wheel profile on LRT is different from the wheel profile on a RR, so they can't coexist at full speed on the same track without much-heightened derailment risk. Plus there's no FRA-compliant tram-trains in existence, so it's impossible on crashworthiness.
From what I was reading the issue is more train on tram tracks than the other way around. In the case of trams on train tracks the issue is curve speed and hunting oscillation correct? Then if trams remain within their designed speed at which hunting oscillation isn’t an issue then they’d be safe? If the trams are designed for 50mph like the current Green Line trolleys that should be significant enough for decent service on that stretch. Disregarding all the signaling and legal barriers it should be physically possible to operate safely.

Again I’m probably missing something important. I’m new to railway infrastructure engineering and still trying to learn.

What I’d understood from some other discussions in the forums is that GLX further to Kent St. or even Porter is doable but it looks like the same ROW or larger up until just East of Waltham. I’m definitely missing something here and wondering out of curiosity where the restrictions are or if it’s the whole segment of the line that doesn’t have enough ROW.
The ROW was quad-track to Belmont Center, tri-track to the Central Mass split (excepting the Waverley station cut, which was a 1955 grade crossing elimination). It's widenable to 4-tracks between Belmont Ctr. and the Central Mass by doing some of the same retaining wall work that went into GLX-Medford, but to get to Waltham Center and 128 the Central Mass must be reactivated to carry the Fitchburg RR because the ROW through Downtown was only ever 2-track.

From what I was reading the issue is more train on tram tracks than the other way around. In the case of trams on train tracks the issue is curve speed and hunting oscillation correct? Then if trams remain within their designed speed at which hunting oscillation isn’t an issue then they’d be safe? If the trams are designed for 50mph like the current Green Line trolleys that should be significant enough for decent service on that stretch. Disregarding all the signaling and legal barriers it should be physically possible to operate safely.
The speed restrictions of trying to safely interoperate are painful. Like, 10 MPH or less. It would never work in a practical application.

The other thing you have to consider with hybrid vehicles is weight. The only way you're getting something with FRA crashworthiness in a tram-train is if the rolling stock were closer in weight to Commuter Rail stock (~260,000 lbs.) than Green Line stock (~60,000 lbs.). The bridges on the Green Line aren't rated for that weight-on-rail, and neither are the tunnels through the Back Bay landfill.

Last edited:
this is insane.

The lease agreement with the T is still pending negotiation of “final details”. Until the City Council approves it, they don’t want folks on the path due to questions of jurisdiction.

My tinfoil speculation: this will be slow-walked until the weather warms up. That will give the politicians a grand photo op in a municipal election year.

The lease agreement with the T is still pending negotiation of “final details”. Until the City Council approves it, they don’t want folks on the path due to questions of jurisdiction.

My tinfoil speculation: this will be slow-walked until the weather warms up. That will give the politicians a grand photo op in a municipal election year.
this ties perfectly in with the conversation in previous posts. I just have no idea what other developed country would let this happen... for a bike path.
It's mind bending.

Some observations from my rush-hour rides the past three weeks:

Mornings get pretty busy, nothing crazy. Nice to see it being used by high schoolers for their commute.

For evenings:
Last week I left a bit early, still at the early end of rush hour, and the train was comfortably full. I stood through downtown, but managed to get a seat after Lechmere.

Today, leaving a little later than my normal time, the entire car was packed through the downtown core all the way to Gilman. Only then did it let up a little - i.e. all seats were taken and people were still standing well-spaced down the aisle. A very good number (a few dozen) passengers got off at Ball. Impressive ridership. It's a shame there's no way to really calculate the true numbers they're getting.

Back