Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Plan is always to run up to two car consists, depending if the line has long enough platforms (d & e initially, I think, with b&c being only one car until until the stations are eventually all lengthened.)

Isn't Boylston an issue? I can't find any of the project docs at the moment, but I could have sworn at least one of the central subway stations needed substantial work to let two-car trains run.

Isn't Boylston an issue? I can't find any of the project docs at the moment, but I could have sworn at least one of the central subway stations needed substantial work to let two-car trains run.
Boylston, Hynes and Symphony are the stations that still need work. Hynes and Symphony have projects but not Boylston

Since there's not a project for I'm guessing this would be total speculation, but is there any way to lengthen the platforms without ruining the 4-track connection between it and Park? Looking at a track map for Boylston I'm not seeing a lot of room for expansion without either fouling the connection to Park or the connection to the Tremont subway. Obviously with enough money anything is possible, but in the current climate I'd speculate that some forward-thinking connections like those might be sacrificed for short-term ease-of-construction.

Plan is always to run up to two car consists, depending if the line has long enough platforms (d & e initially, I think, with b&c being only one car until until the stations are eventually all lengthened.)

I think that the ones at Amory Street & Babcock Street might be long enough since they were done over, but not sure about the rest of them. :unsure:

Boylston, Hynes and Symphony are the stations that still need work. Hynes and Symphony have projects but not Boylston

Yeah, and at least the original plan had them addressing these before the rollout, but, it is the T, so who knows if they will or not.

here's a doc from 2018 that has station lengths / curves from that time. I don't know if any updated presentations like this were made.

Green Line Future Capacity Study Update 5/7/2018

here's a doc from 2018 that has station lengths / curves from that time. I don't know if any updated presentations like this were made.

Green Line Future Capacity Study Update 5/7/2018

That's exactly the document I was looking for. Thanks!

For those that don't want to click through: it mentions the Boylston Westbound is fine for now, with Eastbound being only 210 feet out of the necessary 225 feet. The question of how to achieve those extra 15 feet remains to be seen. Other D/E stations that need work are Brookline Hills EB and Heath Street. Was Brookline Hills made long enough when it was reconstructed? The limited documentation I can find implies it was not.

That's exactly the document I was looking for. Thanks!

For those that don't want to click through: it mentions the Boylston Westbound is fine for now, with Eastbound being only 210 feet out of the necessary 225 feet. The question of how to achieve those extra 15 feet remains to be seen. Other D/E stations that need work are Brookline Hills EB and Heath Street. Was Brookline Hills made long enough when it was reconstructed? The limited documentation I can find implies it was not.
How on earth is Heath Street going to get extended by 100 feet? Even if you build an island platform and get rid of the parking lot its still only 150 feet.

Last edited:
If the line is extended to Hyde Square as proposed, then it's not a problem; at worst you have to relocate a driveway to make room for a curb bulb-out that serves as the platform. If not extended, the likely solution is to land-swap with the VA - some of their employee parking lot for the station, some of the former loop for parking.

There's no need to keep it as a loop, as a side note. It was built in 1945 to allow PCC streetcars to operate in short-turn service. That service normally operated as far as the Brigham Circle crossover, but the single-ended PCC cars needed a loop. Modern LRVs are double-ended; the sharp curve of the loop is a detrement (slow turns in and out of the station) rather than useful.

Makes me wonder what exactly they measured. If that 210' number includes the portion of the platform past the inspector's booth on the Park Street end, it'd be a lot less clear how to extend it. (Though couldn't they just not open the end doors or something?)

It's funny, but I don't see a pic of this new trolley on the T's website at all!! Just tried to find it there!!!! I wonder why!!!! :unsure:
New redesigned Type 10 trolley for the Green Line..jpg

Makes me wonder what exactly they measured. If that 210' number includes the portion of the platform past the inspector's booth on the Park Street end, it'd be a lot less clear how to extend it. (Though couldn't they just not open the end doors or something?)
Can’t the quad tracks be extended west of Boylston using the old outer tracks allowing for the switches the be removed thus allowing the platforms to be extended?

No, for several reasons. Interesting idea though!

The platform lengths are dictated primary by the tunnel width, as seen on the plans below. (There have been some changes to entrances since, but the platforms are still the same.) Any further east and the tunnel narrows; any further west and you're at the curve. The eastbound platform is the short one, so you'd have to widen a substantial bit of tunnel.

You also run into engineering difficulties - connecting the eastbound track from Boylston to the outer track would require relocating that headhouse, and filling in the outer outbound track to allow a crossover south of the platform. That would also eliminate the flying junction, meaning that reuse of the southern section is impossible. That's a big downside given that it would be necessary for any Washington Street conversion (as well as the various reconfiguration plans posted on AB).

More likely, removing the inspector's booth and adjusting the faregates should be sufficient - the platform itself is a total of about 210' long. Selective door opening is also possible; I would not be surprised if it's already designed on the Type 10 cars.
1691708841749.png

The Type 10s also won't have doors at the very front of the car like 7/8/9. That buys a little space if they go for a Bowdoin-like solution.

It's funny, but I don't see a pic of this new trolley on the T's website at all!! Just tried to find it there!!!! I wonder why!!!! :unsure: View attachment 41536
It was shown in the June System-Wide Accessibility meeting.
it's in the meeting presentation on that link (PDF or video).

I wonder if a mockup of the trolley will be made so that we can see it before it goes into production. :) It probably won't be the whole one, but maybe half of it.

There IS a small pic of the trolley there in one of the links under Vehicle procurement. :)

Last edited:
I saw a tweet saying 100 Type 10s were procured for $810, million with prototypes starting to be delivered in 2026 is there actually official news on this?

Back