Hancock of the day...

I miss Boston. This is from spring 08....not much has changed I suppose.

3976109414_ee60a82f25_b.jpg

Hi - I am new to posting on this site, but have been checking it out for months (more important than just architecture news, this is where I get the good gossip)

I was on the roof of the Hancock Tower and was lucky enough to have 1) a clear day and 2) a camera. I took a bunch of great shots and a few video clips that I will upload and post later. These below are just from my camera phone (the ones to come will be much clearer and better).

It was quite an experience, the 'rail road tracks' are what the window-washing unit travels on. It wasn't that windy, and I didn't get too nauseous until I got close to the edge and looked down!

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Great first post. I could not have been up there, waaaaaaay too much vertigo. Glad I can live vicariously through others.

Thanks - I am working on the marketing of the tower so I've been able to explore the entire building - it truly is a magnificent, amazing structure completely unlike anything in the world. Since it was built for institutional use, it has features that a REIT could never financially conceive of creating, starting with the floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall glass. I was on the roof with a professional photographer, I can only imagine what his pictures are going to look like!

Cornerdetail.jpg

Pru.jpg

SeaportView.jpg

And one from the garage:

GlassFactor.jpg

Many, many, many more to come. I also have two short video clips but am not quite sure how to post them yet.

I'm embarrassed to say, the second video made me throw up in my mouth a little.

The first shot in that second set of photos you posted, Mike, is absolutely stunning.

It was a really cool experience... I think I will be up there again next week (weather permitting) b/c we want to get dusk/evening shots of the city. I'll be sure to bring my camera along too! The video clips are short because it's too scary to have the camera up to your eye and move around. The still shots are much more manageable because it's much more manageable to be still while up there.

The South End through the southern 'nook' on the skinny side:

SouthEndV.jpg

Mike my man, thank you so much for sharing all this (and I love how it's trickling out -- keeps me wanting more!). I don't think there'd be a more appreciative audience out there than the people right here.

A few more - I posted the real interesting ones first, all I have now are more straight-forward view shots:

BostonProper.jpg

FinancialDistrictview.jpg

Dorchester.jpg

I think I'll be back up there next week, weather permitting for dusk/evening shots, should be really neat.

I'm just going to assume that what you will be marketing is the new public deck that they will opening on the roof, right?

(pleasetellmeI'mrightpleasetellmeI'mrightpleasetellmeI'mrightpleasetellmeI'mright)

Thanks - I'll be sure to post any more that I get next week. Also, once I see the professional photographer's shots, I'll ask him about posting some here (his should be truly outstanding compared to mine)

Standing on the roof really made the tower's marketing line feel very appropriate:

"The height of business, the heart of Boston"

Back